Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a trailor for my 1300. Lowe’s has 4x6 and 4x8 $650/$ 750. Seems too cheap. Dot approved with lights. anyone have any experience with these to haul a bike?

·
Registered
602 Posts
I hauled my 1800 on a $500 tractor supply trailer. Had to remove the tailgate/ramp to clear rear fender. I've had 3000lbs on the trailer for 2 miles. It's tough.

Reactions: Jim-gard

·
Registered
8,355 Posts
you want a 8 foot long trailer.
trailer must hold 1,500 pounds or more.

do not forget the Harbor Fright has for a motorcycle wheel chock
trailer
put down plywood and a chock and I hooks for tie-downs

I have been trailer-ing motorcycles for over 50 years..

also check prices at out-door stores..

·
Registered
71 Posts
I pull a trailer every day of my life. I've put cars, motorcycles, slingshots, mowers and more on trailers. Make SURE your tongue is an A-fame tongue and not a straight tongue. Straight tongue will track straight but if you EVER get loose; a straight tongue spells disaster. Ask anybody that has ever had a blow out on a straight tongue trailer. If you do go the Tractor Supply route, they are $100 off on all trailers Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day every year.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The longer the gate on the trailer is, the better chance you have of not scraping. If you still scrape, back your pull vehicle up on ramps and it will change the pitch of the trailer. That is what I do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the great info. I only have a 2x4 Chevy Equinox which can only pull 3500 Lbs. looking to bring bike to mountains in the fall.

·
Registered
8,355 Posts
Thanks for all the great info. I only have a 2x4 Chevy Equinox which can only pull 3500 Lbs. looking to bring bike to mountains in the fall.
should be OK... I Ford Flex has a limit of 4,000 pounds
my 1800 F... did a fine job with a flat bed trailer..

YES on the "A" frame tongue .
my VTX also trailed in the bed of my F 250...
and on a 'nomanco' single low boy motorcycle trailer.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Make SURE your tongue is an A-fame tongue and not a straight tongue. Straight tongue will track straight but if you EVER get loose; a straight tongue spells disaster.
Ok, explain. Never heard of this issue.

Reactions: 123hotdog

·
Registered
8,355 Posts
ever see a good trailer with a 90 straight tongue .. you won't

far stronger.. look up the word... gusset

even the Harbor Freight trailer has a "A" frame tongue .

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just never had any luck with the one's with a tongue like this and if they are the least bit loaded uneven right to left they really wobble at highway speeds. 1595756454751.png

·
Registered
71 Posts
The trailer that @Silver F has that VTX on is awesome. I'd love to have one like that. Great construction. Unfortunately I am a cheap b*stard and have to use one trailer for everything sort of a one size fits all type approach.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I realize this picture looks a little ridiculous but it was very effective. My trailer has a four foot gate which is better for wind drag than a five or six foot but horrible for loading. If you find yourself in this situation especially if your VTX has been lowered, harbor freight ramps are the solution.
IMG_0548.JPG

·
Registered
2007 1300C
481 Posts
I have put a block under the foot of the trailer jack and jacked it up with it still attached to truck to get extra clearance

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
595 Posts
If you have a R/S/T model, an 8' trailer is not long enough (if it has a built in swing up ramp). My 1300R is 8.5' long because of the fenders. You still need room for a chock to be installed. Since I was going big, I wanted to make sure that I didn't obstruct the deck too much for everyday use.

My original 4x8 Carry On trailer would not let the gate close. I had the hinge cut and rewelded so I could remove the gate. Turned out, the gate was structural, and the trailer would violently shake at a certain speed. I sold that trailer went bigger.

4x8 Carry On Trailer that was too short for R/S/T Rear fender:

I went with an AL Lowes 6x12 trailer:

I added recessed anchor points:

I added a Condor removable chock, with the anchor support for the underside:

·
Registered
2005 1300 VTX S
16 Posts
some UHaul small open trailers come with a front motorcycle wheel chock up from. Saw a guy with one and he said it was like 15 dollars a day. nice trailer too, if it's a one off it might be cheaper than buying. just thought I throw it out there.

·
Registered
8,355 Posts
call the Tool Rental places... for a trailer to rent..

I purchased my 'nomanco' from a tool rental place. ( USED ) a good price also.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts