Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Floor Board Scraper
622 Posts
Mine has a good clunk to it when going from 1st to 2nd (and back in to 1st). The rest of the gears are pretty smooth.

Every once in a while I time it just right and it couldn't possibly be any smoother. It is normal, all of them do it.

Also, welcome from Utah. I have family and land a little north of you, near Dierks!

·
Let's Get Ready To Rumble
5,240 Posts
That's right, the clunk is normal; embrace it.

If you are getting noisy shifting in other gears, ask another VTX rider to test drive it, and if necessary, have a mechanic look at it.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I would call it normal. Change to a synthetic oil at 4k such as Amsoil, Mobil 1, or whatever your research takes you to. It will quiet it down a smidge, enough to notice. Just wanted to let you know what has worked for me and don't want to get into what oil or filter to use. All I'm saying is Amsoil quited it down some. Did I just say that? Ummmmm, I'm just sayin'

·
Registered
9 Posts
Loud shift

Have a 04 VTX-1300C and I've had this issue from day 1. Dealer originally told me noise would decrease over time. If it's changed, it's been very little. Was trying to find info on this subject when i found this site this morning.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I know a guy with a Big Dog Chopper and it clunks louder than either of my Hondas, and probably cost more than both put together.

·
WTF, Over!
8,338 Posts
That Clunk is simply the VTX saying ride me HARD, dammit!
(All of them do it, and it is entirely normal).

:choppersm:choppersm:choppersm:choppersm

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've learned, if you ride second gear longer (clutch out) when approaching stops (to bog the V-Twin slightly below normal idle speed), then quickly "clutch in" and tap first just before you stop... it's pretty smooth; barely audible; just a quick green neutral light flash atop the tank. Clunk-Clatter is the 1-2 / 2-1 nature of this beast. Higher idle/RPM's really exacerbate the issue. +1 on the previous when you lose track / feel / count of your gear position.

·
Registered
15 Posts
stevecat

02 1800R, been loud as hell since day one, just the way it is I guess. My 97 1100 spirit kicks pretty hard too. Downshift engine braking is all about rpms, you really gotta ride that 2nd gear till you get her way low or it will kick like a mule.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I often "double-clutch" on the 2-1 downshift and it is much smoother. There's a pretty big gearing difference between second and first, so I slip it into neutral, let out the clutch, rev it, clutch and hit first. If you can match the rpms, it's quiet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll have to try that.
I often "double-clutch" on the 2-1 downshift and it is much smoother. There's a pretty big gearing difference between second and first, so I slip it into neutral, let out the clutch, rev it, clutch and hit first. If you can match the rpms, it's quiet.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts