Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today i finaly recieved my long awaited GPS Fairing from Tsukayu.
I carried the box straight down to the garage and started what i thought would be an excelent day.... but soon turned out to be a smaller nightmare...

When ordering you have to make a choice between covered and exposed forks....
After some input from others (on various VTX sites) i came to the conclusion that i had Covered Forks... so i ordered the fairing for that...

Turns out I have exposed forkes... :(
The clamps that are sent along are 60-63mm, but my forks are 55mm.

Wrote to Tsukayu stright away, and the best offer they can do is for me to buy 4 new clamps for $70 (incl shipping).
But with tax and import fee's this will be $100 for 4 clamps...

There must be a cheaper way....

I already checked in Sweden, but no dealer has these clamps on the shelves...

So my question to this forum is....

Does anyone have the 55mm clamps and needs the 60-63mm?
Can we do an exchange....
Or should i put a piece of rubber hose behind the clamps (no one will see it) to make them fit?

Another thing that I noticed...
The quick release brackets are 3mm thick...
But the "knobs" on the clamps where the bracket should slide in are only 2mm thick..
So one would still have to screw the knobs tight on the brackets....
How is this a "fast" release system then?
The extra washers that came along are to large for extending the space for this "knob"

Since the fairing comes without a locking mechanism this might not be a bad thing....
Any other owners of the Tsukayu Fairing have simulair thought or problems?

Input is greatly appriciated!!!!

Drive safe!!!

GreetZ from Sweden.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,193 Posts
PVC spacers??

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
If you use the PVC spacers, you'll still need rubber hose on the fork to keep the PVC from sliding up & down.

I ordered Tsukayu bags, lost the key, called them up and they wanted $40 for a set of keys!!!! ... great product, lousy customer service.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Their "quick release" still requires loosening the 4 screws that secure the fairing brackets to the clamps. All it takes is a 5mm allen wrench to loosen the screws. In my opinion, there is no way on earth that I'd trust two spring clips to hold that heavy, expensive fairing. With the speakers and radio/GPS unit installed , it weighs about 40lbs/19Kg. Loosening 4 screws will probably not take any longer than disconnecting the stereo cable.

Wrapping rubber around the fork tubes to make the clamps fit will also serve to dampen vibration. Automotive radiator hose will work well. try an auto parts store. That's what I would do if I were you.........

Just my opinion(s).....................

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fixed it about 5 minutes after i posted the thread...
This new forum is a lifesaver for me...
Great to exchange ideas and experiences with other VTXriders and a perfect outlet for my creativity and irritation :D
I found some rubber strip that fittet perfectly, but if I place the fairing so the hollowing for the lamp comes close to the lamp i can not open the cover for the GPS...
I have allready placed the fairing furthest away on the brackets...
Does anyone who has the fairing and drives a VTX1800C modell the same problem?

I also discovered that my head feels like someone is pounding it with a hammer (Thor again, probably) when i drive...
So it will be a trip to te local hardware store for som Plexiglas and a small handsaw this weekend...
Unless someone else has a better solution?

Also I have to think of a way to "lock" the fairing a bit better then 4 small screws and 2 wire bits...

Sorry if I keep ramlebing on....
Got a lot of ideas in my head right now and this forum is absolutely brilliant for that!

Drive safe and keep the rubber side down.

GreetZ from Sweden!

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,193 Posts
A couple of things to try for the buffeting. See if air is coming up from up around your knees by blocking it with your hand. If this helps then windshield lowers might help. Next is try to let some air under your fairing to break up the turbulence. Blocking too much air can create low pressure behind the fairing and thats where you get the buffeting. Be nice if we we all had access to a wind tunnel.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice....
Will try when the weather gets better... It's raining now..

Wrote an email to Tsukayu last night wondering about some small things and they were very fast to respond.. Some paint chipped off on the side of the fairing and the rubber list around the fairing wasn't glued on properly everywhere... so they will send me a new list, touchup paint and new forkclamps. (although i am happy with the mounting right now, since this setup will not scratch my tripple tree.

All in all good customer service....

·
Registered
663 Posts
My fairing is a different model than yours (mine is the gen-3 with the glovebox), so this may not apply, but mine sits about 1.5 inches / 4 cm above the headlight. That'e lowest I can mount it because the amplifier case/glovebox hits the handlebar clamps.
I expected wind buffeting between the headlight and fairing because it's mounted so high, but it hasn't been a problem. It would look better mounted lower, but for wind protection, mine works fine mounted high.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They sent me a picture of how to mount the bracket, in order to have more space between the risers and the cover for the GPS/radio.
I will give it a try... otherwise i thought about a strip of black foamtape to seal the gap between the lamp and the fairing..
I guess if I put the foam a bit inwards i will not show so much and maybe the airproblem/hammering on my helmet will have lessend or disappeared..

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
So it will be a trip to te local hardware store for som Plexiglas and a small handsaw this weekend...
Unless someone else has a better solution?

GreetZ from Sweden!
Get some Lexan, not generic plexiglass...Plexi will crack too easily when drilling mounting holes and trying to cut it...Lexan is shatterproof (stuff they use in NASCAR for windows here in the states), and easy to work with...I made my 6" shield for my fairing from a $15 sheet of Lexan from Menard's...

·
Registered
663 Posts
The VStream windshield from National Cycle has worked wonders for me in calming wind turbulence. Harley windshields will mount into Tsukayu fairings. You may need to use a thin flat file or Dremel tool on the inside of the windshield slot to smooth it and flatten any bumps inside. The National cycle windshield is a bit thicker than standard Harley (also Tsukayu), so you might need to use that file or Dremel tool to widen the slot. I used a Dremel with the small size sanding cylinder in 220 grit (fine).

http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/VStream_FLH.shtml

The FLHT(all), FLHX, 1996-2012 (actually 2014, they just haven't updated the online catalog) is the model windshield you need. I have the N20401 tall model (14 inches) and love it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Loads of good Advice!! :D
I will try to put the fairing a little higher and test it.. been working the whole week and only have a 5 minute ride to work.... So no proper testing yet...
I like the shape of the Vstream... Should be able to form the lexan/plexi myself...
Drive safe!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts