Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was looking into a batwing fairing I felt like there wasn't an detailed enough review of the Tsukayu GPS Fairing, and what one should think about when installing. So here is a review, good and the bad.

When I was google searching I saw complaints about the speakers, and that it doesn't have enough power (purchased without the optional amp). So I opted to get the 4 channel amp, they pre-wired it bridged. I will say, this thing is LOUD...

Issues:
1) One speaker is damaged, or defective, it crackles even at low volume
2) Both speaker covers had at one nub broken from over tightening (I only noticed this because of my speaker test I will explain further down)
3) Music doesn't seem to play from my phone via USB (this might be my issue)
4) I get NO signal with the radio antenna

So, it was delivered yesterday pre-assembled without the flat windshield installed. I opened everything and installed indicator lights. I picked the location and went ahead and drilled through the fiberglass. I started with a small drill bit and stepped it up until the indicators just fit (I had to use force to push it into place). I already tapped off of the indicator wires in the headlight bucket. I wanted to keep the batwing removeable, so I put in a waterproof connector between the fairing and the headlight bucket. I also covered the wires with a plastic sleeve.

Indicators (ordered 2 of these):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D84PLXQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Waterproof connectors:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FP1HXJ4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is how it looks wired up:

Here is how it looks inside, wired up with the amp:

Here is the initial fitting on the bike. Sorry I did not include how I setup the brackets:

I ordered the 10" smoked windshield. I am 6'2", sitting on the factory seat I am looking though the windshield. I have a corbin seat, that sits me considerably higher, so this will be perfect with that seat. I will also get a 5" or 8" to use with the factory seat.

While I am testing, I have the tank off, and borrowed a so-so car battery from a local mechanic to use so I don't damage my bikes battery.

Here is a clip of how you can hear the speaker damage. I noticed it right away. I swapped the speakers left to right and the sound carried with the speaker, so it is clearly the speaker and not the wiring. I hope the clip doesn't get taken down from youtube, but here it is:

EDIT: NOT SAFE FOR WORK (LANGUAGE)

I have sent a message to the vendor with my issues, hopefully they will resolve them.

I am happy with the batwing fairing, even if they do not resolve it. Some day in the future I will upgrade the speakers.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: I contacted the US based (Florida) representative. I passed along my issues, he is going to pass this along to the China team and have them replace the speaker, speaker covers, and see if there is a solution to the bad radio reception.

·
Registered
181 Posts
UPDATE: I contacted the US based (Florida) representative. I passed along my issues, he is going to pass this along to the China team and have them replace the speaker, speaker covers, and see if there is a solution to the bad radio reception.
We’re all wishing you get satisfaction. And thanx for the review.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We’re all wishing you get satisfaction. And thanx for the review.
Thanks!

I know what would have helped me when I purchased it is the following:

Yes, I would purchase it again, and yes I am happy with it. If this changes I will be sure to return here and update this thread.

When you buy body parts that are designed to fit many different vehicles you will run into issues. When you buy Chinese radio components (not produced for the big manufactures), you are also likely to run into issues. As long as you understand these things, and are ok with it, it is a great option.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, an update:

1) I sent an email to Tsukayu and they are sending 1 replacement speaker.
2) Regular radio signal is garbage, I got an aftermarket antenna and it worked only while holding it (I would need a powered antenna I think)
3) I got Polk Audio MM692 (6x9) Marine speakers and installed them

Polk Audio Speakers Installed:

I setup the gain and crossovers for maximum sound without damage. I have to say I am very impressed with my setup. I gave up on radio, but I'm not sure I need it. I have Pandora, SiriusXM Radio, and a 64GB SD card with all my songs. I also have Waze, Google Maps to use when online (tethered to my phone), and have the Tsukayu suggested offline GPS Maps on order (SD card).

I had to get longer bolts and used a stack of washers to lower my light bar about 3/4", just enough for the lights to clear the batwing cover.

So hear it sits all back together and wired up to the battery (I've been using a car battery for setting everything up):
Please excuse the mess on my shelf

I plan to get some black racing stripes down the center of the front/rear fenders and gas tank. I like the contrast of black covers and the black batwing. I think having it all silver would be a bit boring.

My future plans, Black Gel coat Tsukayu Saddle Bags. But I have spent enough this year, and I already have leather (leather like) bags.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Added wind deflectors that I picked up on facebook... I had to use a combination of 2 Cobra extender brackets to get it to work. I also put on 2 layers of wax on the batwing fairing.

I can’t wait to actually ride it and see how she is. I will likely pick up 2 smaller windshields before spring, a small 4-5 inch one and a 7-8 inch one.

I just assume I will need the wind deflectors, since I haven't been able to ride the bike yet... Winter sigh...

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Nice job..
Yes, the wind deflectors are a big help for wind from below the fairing.
You might look into using sign-vinyl (wrap material) for your stripes. It's easy to apply, and you can move them around to get them straight. They last for years (10+) unless out in the weather 24/7. Then all you would have to paint is the fairing.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice job..
Yes, the wind deflectors are a big help for wind from below the fairing.
You might look into using sign-vinyl (wrap material) for your stripes. It's easy to apply, and you can move them around to get them straight. They last for years (10+) unless out in the weather 24/7. Then all you would have to paint is the fairing.

Thanks.

That's what I plan to do, vinyl racing strips (Black) down the center of the fenders and gas tank (I may put a tank bib on over the tank, and let the vinyl protect the paint). I plan on leaving the fairing black. I personally like that look, especially with black saddle bags (I have leather like, and when I get hard Tsukayu bags I plan on getting black as well).

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's what I have - the GPS Fairing and vtx specific hard bags
How do you like the GPS fairing? I haven’t had a chance to ride with it yet.

What size windshield did you get?

·
my toes, my line
4,095 Posts
How do you like the GPS fairing? I haven’t had a chance to ride with it yet.

What size windshield did you get?

The main thing is to make sure you have it mounted evenly. I have found when the mounting is off even slightly, I start getting major wavering at around 70-75 mph. Since you already have the lowers, that will help a ton in adjusting out any shimmys which may - or may not - occur.

I have the 6x9s up top and 5.25s in the lowers (JDT) which I use separate channels on to split out the bass. As far as the electronics, I have the Nakamichi head unit and a TEAC 1k amp so power is not a factor. The GPS w/ Bonanza maps is pretty good, but I havent really used it much to be honest. I have found there to be some limitations in terms of using the GPS in tandem with say, the USB input. I use a Flash drive off a USB hub for tunes, but I cannot seem to able to run this set up with the GPS functional. I would expect the GPS functions to dominate the screen while the tunes played "in the background", but I dont think the GUI of the Nakamichi's hardware is capable of managing simultaneous screens.

Back to power - I have my hooligan moments which call for hooligan tunes. I can hear and feel the music at 85 mph at a decently powerful level for hearing (also while wearing a half helmet) without ever surpassing the 20/100 level mark. Its got some thump to it. I like it loud, but sometimes I forget to drop the volume when im in the neighborhood. :doh:

I have the 5" shield on the fairing.

·
my toes, my line
4,095 Posts

Yup, thats the same as mine. I even use the same WP connectors.

Two Things:

1. The stereo/radio is pretty awful, but even worse while in the garage and the included antenna is useless anywhere. I bought an aftermarket flexible antenna and this helped a little. I have plans to run the antenna back to the rear of the bike to remove any proximity interference to the GPS antenna, but havent done it yet. Again, test it outside of the garage.

2. The USB issue - check the input at the head unit (yeah with the face off) and make sure the connection is right. Mine arrived disconnected.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got an aftermarket antenna and it worked only while holding it.
SOUNDS LIKE TO ME THAT THE ANTENNA JUST NEEDS TO BE GROUNDED, IF IT WORKS WHEN YOUR HOLDING IT, SOUNDS LIKE A GROUND PROBLEM TO ME.

Greg

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup, thats the same as mine. I even use the same WP connectors.

Two Things:

1. The stereo/radio is pretty awful, but even worse while in the garage and the included antenna is useless anywhere. I bought an aftermarket flexible antenna and this helped a little. I have plans to run the antenna back to the rear of the bike to remove any proximity interference to the GPS antenna, but havent done it yet. Again, test it outside of the garage.

2. The USB issue - check the input at the head unit (yeah with the face off) and make sure the connection is right. Mine arrived disconnected.

Thanks.

1. I gave up on the antenna, not that I would really use it anyways.

2. Apparently, the head unit that I have does not connect the USB ports to the radio, they are purely for charging. My unit has wifi, they say the USB ports are used for wifi (you get one or the other). I’m ok with it because I will be tethering my head unit anyway (and charging my phone). Both ports do properly send power, but either actually connect to the head unit.

·
Deplorable member
7,409 Posts
I tried 2 antennas and neither worked. I had XM radio for awhile but cancelled that and use a flash drive into my USB or an ipod nano plugged into the AUX port both on the head unit. I prolly have 10-12 hrs of music going that route.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The main thing is to make sure you have it mounted evenly. I have found when the mounting is off even slightly, I start getting major wavering at around 70-75 mph. Since you already have the lowers, that will help a ton in adjusting out any shimmys which may - or may not - occur.
This I will have to check, once I get out on the road, it seems to be mounted evenly. Thanks, I will have a good idea of what i need to do, now that you gave me this info.

I have the 6x9s up top and 5.25s in the lowers (JDT) which I use separate channels on to split out the bass. As far as the electronics, I have the Nakamichi head unit and a TEAC 1k amp so power is not a factor. The GPS w/ Bonanza maps is pretty good, but I havent really used it much to be honest. I have found there to be some limitations in terms of using the GPS in tandem with say, the USB input. I use a Flash drive off a USB hub for tunes, but I cannot seem to able to run this set up with the GPS functional. I would expect the GPS functions to dominate the screen while the tunes played "in the background", but I dont think the GUI of the Nakamichi's hardware is capable of managing simultaneous screens.
I dont remember if I posted it in this thread, but I went ahead and got some Polk Audio MM692 (450W marine speakers). Using the Tsukayu 4 channel amp bridged, these speakers are LOUD. I am impressed with the head unit (using the amp), the amp in combination with these Polk Audio speakers. For music, I loaded my catalog on a 64 Gb mini flash drive, and have it installed in one of the two slots, the other has the offline GPS maps.

Having the wifi will allow me to tether and use wase and google maps when I have cell reception. For my long trips where cellular may be an issue. It will also let me stream SiriusXM and Pandora.

After loading all my usual apps, I can open/close my garage door with the unit, I can see my ring doorbell motions/rings and my home nvr camera system. I am really impressed with the Eonon GPS unit. The processor and wifi seem fast enought to keep up with multiple processes without bogging down.

Back to power - I have my hooligan moments which call for hooligan tunes. I can hear and feel the music at 85 mph at a decently powerful level for hearing (also while wearing a half helmet) without ever surpassing the 20/100 level mark. Its got some thump to it. I like it loud, but sometimes I forget to drop the volume when im in the neighborhood. :doh:
I expect this to be a problem with me too. I live in the back of my neighborhood, so hopefully I’ll remember to turn it down before I get to my street where I know people.

I have the 5" shield on the fairing.
I ordered the 10” from them, but have 2 more shields coming from LongRideShields. I ordered a 6” (they measure from the bolts, so it could be about the same as your 5”), and an 8”. Both of these are their mega curve shields, so effectively they should work like shields 2 inches longer without the added material blocking my sight line.

I also just got an ultimate bigboy seat, so this has really changed my seating position, I think the 8” may be my sweet spot with this seat. Still waiting on delivery...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I tried 2 antennas and neither worked. I had XM radio for awhile but cancelled that and use a flash drive into my USB or an ipod nano plugged into the AUX port both on the head unit. I prolly have 10-12 hrs of music going that route.
I also gave up on the antenna... I have a lifetime account with SiriusXM which includes streaming, so I will be taking advantage of the wifi tethering. But I also loaded all my songs on a 64 Gb mini flash drive. I think I am all set now for days of tunes!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got an aftermarket antenna and it worked only while holding it.
SOUNDS LIKE TO ME THAT THE ANTENNA JUST NEEDS TO BE GROUNDED, IF IT WORKS WHEN YOUR HOLDING IT, SOUNDS LIKE A GROUND PROBLEM TO ME.

Greg
I thought about running an antenna to the back of the bike, making sure it was properly grounded. Then I realized, I was only doing it for the sake of doing it... I haven’t turned on regular radio in any vehicle I own for years. I got smart and gave up.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
I thought about running an antenna to the back of the bike, making sure it was properly grounded. Then I realized, I was only doing it for the sake of doing it... I haven’t turned on regular radio in any vehicle I own for years. I got smart and gave up.
or LIKE down here in South Texas........ No radio station with Rock&Roll..... NONE....ninguna.

·
my toes, my line
4,095 Posts

This is exactly why it remains in the planning stage :patriot:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts