Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,002 Posts
<snip> I have a lifetime account with SiriusXM which includes streaming, <snip more>
My wife also bought a lifetime subscription to Sirius/XC back in 2008 when we bought a car. Unfortunately, I just read a week ago that Sirius/XM screwed over all the purchasers of their lifetime subscriptions by changing these from the lifetime of the customer to the lifetime of the radio. Since so many radios are specific to a vehicle, this effectively becomes lifetime of the vehicle. I delved into this further and learned that lawsuits against SiriusXM related to this issue were dismissed in summary judgment without even being able to go to trial :( What has been your experience in this area?

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My wife also bought a lifetime subscription to Sirius/XC back in 2008 when we bought a car. Unfortunately, I just read a week ago that Sirius/XM screwed over all the purchasers of their lifetime subscriptions by changing these from the lifetime of the customer to the lifetime of the radio. Since so many radios are specific to a vehicle, this effectively becomes lifetime of the vehicle. I delved into this further and learned that lawsuits against SiriusXM related to this issue were dismissed in summary judgment without even being able to go to trial :( What has been your experience in this area?
I got my first lifetime back in 2008 as an XM customer. I was told from day 1 if you attach your lifetime account to a factory automotive radio it was non-transferable. No OEM radio lifetime subscriptions are transferable. As long as it isn’t attached to an OEM car radio you have 2 transfers. My first account is attached to an XM Inno (portable radio) that I haven’t turned on in 10 years. At the time it gave you lifetime streaming (internet based radio). I have used this every day since 2008. A few of my friends also went lifetime, we all attached it to home stereos, or portable radios since we were prewarned.

I got a second lifetime account on my 2008 Audi A4 that I got CPO’ed in 2010. This one will never be transferable, BUT the Audi XM modules work in multiple radios. So I can move it to another Audi, if it doesn’t work with the newer model, I can always sell it to someone with a B7 A4 (B7 is the body style year type I have). I have used this for 8 years, I’m ok with losing it, or selling it.

Internet streaming is what I use 99% of the time, my Alexas connect, I listen all day at work, and will be able to stream directly to the radio in this GPS batwing fairing (I downloaded the SiriusXM app and tether the radio to my cell phone). I pay annually for the service in my new to me pickup truck (I drive 40 miles each way to work, so I need it). I decided not to transfer my Inno lifetime account to the truck, becuase I would lose the 2nd transfer since the truck is an OEM radio.

I saw internet streaming taking over, so I knew the lifetime accounts were a hot ticket. Once XM and Sirius merged, they stopped attaching streaming to the lifetime radio accounts. I won... The future, including vehicles, will be streaming (Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, now you can stream and use the radio’s interface). Most home stereos have moved from direct satellite connection to internet streaming...

There are no more lifetime accounts, so anyone else looking, you can’t get it anymore.

EDIT: We were all XM account holders, not Sirius. Because of this, I can not speak to if Sirius lied to people, but at least front the XM side, we were well informed verbally.

·
Registered
16,486 Posts
So, being ignorant about all this techno babble- I bought a new 2010 Malibu w/ XM, and added a home Onyx receiver that I also have a dock on my VTX to take it with me when riding. I bought a 2015 Malibu that was a fleet lease vehicle, so that would have been my FIRST transfer? And If I decide in a year or so to get another vehicle, that WILL BE my 2nd transfer? I still use the home unit several times a week and will do so indefinitely. What am I looking at with my setups? Recommendations?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The weather hit 59° today, so I took the bike off of the Redline stand and did a shake down run. I have to say with my longride shield 8” (measured from bolt hole so about 7” above the fairing) and the ultimate bigboy seats and the lower fairing deflectors the ride is smooth all the way up to 85 mph. Today was an unusually windy day too. I just added the seat, it is REAL nice.

The bad news... About 5 minutes into my ride one side for the bridged amp stopped working. I took it back home, opened the fairing and tested by swapping inputs, outputs, and everything follows 2 of the 4 (it is bridged) channels.

But even at 85, I could hear the music clearly with my half helmet and earplugs with one speaker.

Tsukayu has been very resposive, but as I did with the speakers, I may go with an better 2 channel amp. But either way I will warranty the amp, and install it for now.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I just picked up my batwing front cover from a wrap shop. They did 2 colors Silver (with heavy flake) and Black, they also put a clear bra over the wrap. I’m loving it!

Reactions: Endy

·
Registered
26 Posts
I like it... very nice.... just got my batwing a new model of radios in 2020....no buttons nor slots on the face of the radio...

so they give u two usb cords coming out of the batwing.... and i guess u have to do the offline maps from google on the radio hmmm but hey it sounds great....

I think i wanna get the lowers you have for i am 6'5" and i believe i will get that draft from below... also i have a light bar i will install... and i see you said ya have to use some washers to install it from hitting the batwing?????? do explain if you will....

oh i also installed a lil trash amp... mitzu 500W ( about 30 watts) to the radio...and it is plenty of load.... i bought the new Alpine 6x9 R they are not marine though.. so i have two sets of speakers to add to them... the actual speaks that came with it... are pretty good... seems to be the same u have though... well in
case they blow i have a pair on hand...

all in all i cant wait to put her on the road to see how she holds up....

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I like it... very nice.... just got my batwing a new model of radios in 2020....no buttons nor slots on the face of the radio...

so they give u two usb cords coming out of the batwing.... and i guess u have to do the offline maps from google on the radio hmmm but hey it sounds great....

I think i wanna get the lowers you have for i am 6'5" and i believe i will get that draft from below... also i have a light bar i will install... and i see you said ya have to use some washers to install it from hitting the batwing?????? do explain if you will....

oh i also installed a lil trash amp... mitzu 500W ( about 30 watts) to the radio...and it is plenty of load.... i bought the new Alpine 6x9 R they are not marine though.. so i have two sets of speakers to add to them... the actual speaks that came with it... are pretty good... seems to be the same u have though... well in case they blow i have a pair on hand...

all in all i cant wait to put her on the road to see how she holds up....
Awesome. Are you sure there aren't mini flash drive slots on the back of the unit?

I had to play with the mounting of my light bar, because the back of the light housing would make contact with the batwing. This would cause the lights to be pointed too low. I moved the lights out with a combination of two Cobra Light bar extender brackets. Here are some pictures:

Click the images for full size

The back of the light has very little space between it and the batwing front shell:

Here are you can see the two extenders:

This doesn't bother me, but it might bother some people. My driving lights stick out further than the headlight:

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeah very positive they dont..... ive look the radio over and backwards... no slots... just the two cords coming out with the usb slots now...
and nice how ya did that with the light bar.... it looks fine to me...

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800C
15 Posts
Hey there, long time with no posts, but I’ve got a dog in this fight. I too have the GPS fairing with the 6x9’s. I purchased an amp separately and with some ingenuity was able to fit it all nicely in the fairing... on the second attempt.. My radio doesn’t work, no signal, but I put no effort beyond tightening the connection for the antennae. I don’t use it.
For my phone to connect to the unit for Apple CarPlay, I had to buy a separate add on piece, which I mounted under the fairing and ran the USB out to my phone mount on my handle bars. After the addition of the amp, the speakers do sound much better, they are much louder, but they do sound cheap. I’m still on the fence with how I feel about the purchase, it looks good, it does ’function’ , but for the price, I was hoping for a higher level of quality.
However, I also purchased the hard coner saddlebags, bike specific for my VTX. I’ve had nothing but issues with these. From bracket placement to the pre drilled holes for bolting the bags to the brackets, nothing really lined up. I had to re drill my own mounting holes, and I noticed today there’s a wear mark on my rear caliper from the bracket touching it after compressing the rear springs.. I’m not sure when that happened, it would have needed to be one hell of a pot hole..
I can say that Tsukayu did work with me and Accessories International and issued a partial refund which we both agreed to (I could’ve sent them back but I’m impatient and shipping would’ve added about 2 months to the process). All in all, it looks awesome, it works, and the company is easy to work with. Would I do it again? Probably not. For the amount of money I spent, I would expect higher quality and better quality control.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I had 0 issues with my batwing and bags. I would buy them all over again.

Just note, I knew going into it that their speakers were crap. I replaced the speakers before my first ride. I'm glad I did, it sounds awesome.

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300C
1 Posts
Just ordered a Tsukayu GPS fairing and VTX hardbags for my 2005 1300C. Planing on repainting the bike once I get them all in. Pics to follow once that's done...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just did this myself, and it was on the road only yesterday for its "virgin" ride. Jumbo bags. Assuming electronics were going to be bargain products, I opted to get the empty fairing ready to paint and put in my own head unit, speakers and amp. Things fit pretty darned good to considering they aren't truly "bike specific".

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I was having a problem getting a GPS signal this season. I made a couple videos of the Android based iGO stand alone GPS app, Google Maps, Waze, and the GPS Test app and sent it to Tsukayu and the Ebay seller that provided me the iGO app. Honestly, this time the ebay seller was more responsive then Tsukayu (I've never had response issues with them before).

The Ebay seller was able to diagnose that the issue was either the GPS antenna or the head unit. So I took it apart and when I removed the provided GPS antenna you could hear the internals shaking (something was loose). After that, I figured it was cheap enough to get a replacement GPS antenna. As soon as I plugged the replacement in all GPS apps worked like day 1.

Because I had everything apart, I took the opportunity to take my outer shell back to the guy who wrapped it. The clear bra was shrinking and pulled apart at one of the round parts.

It's a bad thing to have an open batwing, it makes me think of upgrades. So, I started looking for a better amp, and had my mind set on finding a better quality amp that fit the shelf location already set for the amp. I ended up finding a factory refurbished Rockford Fosgate TM400X2ad. A 2 channel amp that puts out 200W per channel. This coupled with my Polk Audio mm692 should be a good upgrade.

After installing it, I have to say WOW... HUGE Difference. I didn't realize how bad the Nakamichi ngmd60.4 amp provided by Tsukayu was. Clean undistorted sound at all volume levels. Deep sounds that never were there before. The music is just pure and clean.

At the advice of a friend who is really into bike systems, I added a computer fan I had sitting around. The batwing does not have a lot of room, so I had to tuck the fan in next to the shelf. There is just enough room to move air around inside the batwing. There is an opening right next to the fan, so it should help pull in some air. The fan is based off of accessories, so it will always be running with key.

GPS Test with new antenna:

New antenna, old amp:

New Amp, and fan:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had to make a load of bracketry in able to put in my "after market -after market" electronics... 10 lbs of sh%# in a 5 lb bag so to speak. Yours really looks good...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I had to make a load of bracketry in able to put in my "after market -after market" electronics... 10 lbs of sh%# in a 5 lb bag so to speak. Yours really looks good...
I was riding without the cover for a while (while waiting on the clear bra to be redone). I had to slide the amp in more to get the cover back on. The good thing is I'm using velcro, so it was easy to move it in.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts