Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking around on Ebay yesterday and ran across a set of Tsukayu Strong Bags that are the quick release version (non bike-specific). They are in black gelcoat so I'm not in immediate need of paint, though I will get them color matched eventually. I would like to get them fitted and mounted up and will need some advice from those who have these. I have the dreaded Hondaline deluxe backrest to deal with, too. I checked with both Tsukayu and Edge's application guides to see which bracket I need and they both recommend two different ones. I guess the question is: do I mount them on the front two or back two fender bolts? I'm thinking the back two, but I need to know for sure. :hmm2:Each bracket is designed to work with my backrest, but I just need to know which two bolts to mount these bags on. They are compatable with Easy brackets, too but I don't know if they will work with my backrest. Help and advice are welcome!​

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
No help with the backrest or the easy brackets, but on the directions I got from Tsukayu it said to use the first and third fender rail bolt for mounting. You can PM TigerX, he has his mounted with a backrest and before you decide on using the easy brackets you might want to see how far off the fender they make the bags hang. Leaves you with about a 2+ inch gap between your bags and fender.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
...before you decide on using the easy brackets you might want to see how far off the fender they make the bags hang. Leaves you with about a 2+ inch gap between your bags and fender.
I'm leaning toward the Edge (ghost) brackets anyway, but good tip on the large clearance gap.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Mine are not Tsukayu but on mine I used 1/8" steel plate and made my own. A couple things to think about is 1, I needed longer bolts and ended up a Fastenal for these and 2, what to do about turn signals depending on your placement. I wanted mine to be tight to the bike, as far forward and as low as I could get them which lead to no room for turn signals. I ended up making filler strips to go between the fender and bags and mounted my signals there. If you do go the steel plate route you need to buy or make small spacers so the plate will clear the caliper.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At my old job, I had access to a break, bender, and drill press. I could also bead-blast and paint them there. I do like the concept of the quick detach system, though. I wouldn't have chosen it if buying these new, but I couldn't pass up the deal I got.

·
There Can Only Be One
2,680 Posts
I know on the C model the Honda Deluxe backrest mounts cover the rearmost fender bolt, but I'm not sure if that holds true for the R/S model. If yours is partially/completely covered and you plan to use that last hole, you'll have to modify those mounts to free up access to that bolt hole. Just a heads up...

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Jason sparked a memory, I used the center bolt and the rear bolt. The rear one is accessible and this is were I had to make my own spacer and order bolt for the bracket.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know on the C model the Honda Deluxe backrest mounts cover the rearmost fender bolt, but I'm not sure if that holds true for the R/S model. If yours is partially/completely covered and you plan to use that last hole, you'll have to modify those mounts to free up access to that bolt hole. Just a heads up...
Jimbo already said it, but due to the differences in the R/S/T fender rail versus the C, the rear bolt is exposed when the deluxe backrest is installed. I had a C with the deluxe before and I know exactly what you're referring to with the rear bolt being covered by the backrest. I had a tough time with aftermarket bags on that bike. However, what I was saying above is that Edge has brackets specifically for a 1300 R/S/T using the Honda deluxe backrest. They offer ones that mount to the front or rear two bolts with the backrest on. I am thinking that I will need to go with the rear two bolts because the bags must clear the shocks. I just want to get the right one the first time and avoid the waiting and fiascos that I had with my fairing.

·
Registered
'06 VTX 1300 C and R
6,551 Posts
Got the Strongs on my 1300C, currently using the first and third bolts. Got the Hondaline Deluxe backrest mounts with luggage rack supporting a tour box. Going to move my bags back at least 2 inches, maybe more. Right now they cover up the shocks too much making shock adjustment a real pain in the a$$. Another thing I want to do to stabilize the bags a little more is get them back far enough to make a mount coming off the stock turn signal mounts. I'm using the chrome mounts Tsukayu sent with the bags. You got a lot of space to move the bags back and have it look really good -- R model fender + Strong bags = smooth/good looking rear end. If it was my R, I'd go with the rear two bolts. Tsukayu now has quick-release mounts. Might go to their web site and check out that and download their mounting instructions for the bags.

cheers
tom

My bad: just went to their site and they offer a redesigned strong bag for use with Easy/ghost quick detach brackets. Flattened out. Allows mounting the brackets high up on the bag which lets the bag set as low as you want/can get them.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the Strongs on my 1300C, currently using the first and third bolts. Got the Hondaline Deluxe backrest mounts with luggage rack supporting a tour box. Going to move my bags back at least 2 inches, maybe more. Right now they cover up the shocks too much making shock adjustment a real pain in the a$$. Another thing I want to do to stabilize the bags a little more is get them back far enough to make a mount coming off the stock turn signal mounts. I'm using the chrome mounts Tsukayu sent with the bags. You got a lot of space to move the bags back and have it look really good -- R model fender + Strong bags = smooth/good looking rear end. If it was my R, I'd go with the rear two bolts. Tsukayu now has quick-release mounts. Might go to their web site and check out that and download their mounting instructions for the bags.

cheers
tom

My bad: just went to their site and they offer a redesigned strong bag for use with Easy/ghost quick detach brackets. Flattened out. Allows mounting the brackets high up on the bag which lets the bag set as low as you want/can get them.
The quick release Strong bags are what I bought. My biggest concern is which style bracket to order from Edge. There are two recommended ones that work with the deluxe backrest: One goes on the front two bolts and the other goes on the back two bolts. From what you're saying, the it sounds like I need to mount them on the back two bolts. I just want to get the right part the first time. Thanks for the help.

·
There Can Only Be One
2,680 Posts
The quick release Strong bags are what I bought. My biggest concern is which style bracket to order from Edge. There are two recommended ones that work with the deluxe backrest: One goes on the front two bolts and the other goes on the back two bolts. From what you're saying, the it sounds like I need to mount them on the back two bolts. I just want to get the right part the first time. Thanks for the help.
Have you thought about leaving the bags on full-time? I only mention this in case you've never had hard bags before. Sure it's nice to be able to take them off, but you might wind up liking them on so much that you'll never take them off. One thing to really consider is how far out from the bike these will sit if you use the Edge Brackets. Not only do you have to consider how wide the Edge bracket is, but you have to add in the width of the fender rails plus the space between the fender rails and Edge Brackets. Total it all up, and they will be sticking out pretty far. For some (and possibly yourself), that isn't a big deal...function over form. For me, it was form over function. I had the Easy Brackets with a set of Saddlemen bags long ago, and I hated the way they looked because they stuck out so far.

If you're leaning towards keeping them on full-time, you could always make a mounting plate out of steel (like what I'm using), and you can get the bags much closer to the bike.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you thought about leaving the bags on full-time? I only mention this in case you've never had hard bags before. Sure it's nice to be able to take them off, but you might wind up liking them on so much that you'll never take them off. One thing to really consider is how far out from the bike these will sit if you use the Edge Brackets. Not only do you have to consider how wide the Edge bracket is, but you have to add in the width of the fender rails plus the space between the fender rails and Edge Brackets. Total it all up, and they will be sticking out pretty far. For some (and possibly yourself), that isn't a big deal...function over form. For me, it was form over function. I had the Easy Brackets with a set of Saddlemen bags long ago, and I hated the way they looked because they stuck out so far.

If you're leaning towards keeping them on full-time, you could always make a mounting plate out of steel (like what I'm using), and you can get the bags much closer to the bike.
I really don't care to have the quick release at all. I'll only use it to do maintenance and it may come in handy when cleaning the back wheel. That's really about it. I wish I could have found the same deal on strong bags that had the standard VTX hardware (I considered the two sets for sale on the boards). I just don't really have all the recources available to custom-make brackets that I would like.

·
Registered
'06 VTX 1300 C and R
6,551 Posts
How about aluminum plate? Strong, easy to tool and light.
And with a little wet sanding/polishing, it could become another piece of bling -- functional and nice looking.

tom

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I picked the bags up from the post office today. The seller sent them in the original fiberglass box, which I thought was cool. I got them unpacked and am just in love with them so far! I have seen Tsukayu bags on bikes, but to actually get my hands on them and try out the locking latches gives me a good feeling on my purchase. For those who aren't familiar with these, they are made well and will really complement the bike once installed. Part of me feels like I should have held out for the jumbo version, but I don't want my bike to have that "big booty" look. ;) These are proportionate with the fender width and should do just fine. I carry too much junk anyway. I decided to go with Edge Brackets and ordered a custom kit that has 0 degree brackets (as opposed to the default 8 degree version) that will mount to the middle and rear fender bolt with my deluxe backrest installed. I also got the Kuryakyn rear signals that are low profile and smaller than stock (not the silver bullets). They should clear the bags. Hopefully the brackets and signals will show up tomorrow, but the mail is runing a little slow. I'd like to get some use out of these before it gets real cold here. If I'm satisfied with them, I'll get them painted after Christmas while I'm doing some winter maintenance/mods. Pictures to come when they're installed.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got my Edge brackets today and installed the mounting hardware. It seems to be nicely designed for the application and works great with the Honda deluxe backrest. However...(because with me it's ALWAYS something) I didn't get the 0 degree brackets that they were supposed to send. I got the standard VTX kit, which has the 8 degree brackets in it. They're intended for leather bags but with rigid ones like the Tsukayus I have, the angle makes them poke out. Now it will be at least a week before I get this shit straightened out! :gah: Good thing I'm on midnight shift for the week.

·
Registered
'06 VTX 1300 C and R
6,551 Posts
Feel ur pain. I've had to send a couple of things back because they weren't "as advertised" or they had some safety problem. But in the end, those bags are going to look mighty fine on ur R model. Ever been thru Summerville, Ga ???
tom

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Feel ur pain. I've had to send a couple of things back because they weren't "as advertised" or they had some safety problem. But in the end, those bags are going to look mighty fine on ur R model. Ever been thru Summerville, Ga ???
tom
Yes, I rode through there back in September with MOFO Flake from the VTXOA. We started out on Lookout Mtn. and rode down to Cloudland, GA, then down the mountain to Summerville, over to Ringgold, then parted ways as he lives in Ringgold and I live in Ooltewah. I'm always up for a ride, but I don't like to ride hard like he does. What is your connection to Summerville, GA?

Well crap, that bites. I still can't figure out how some boneheads can jack up shipping the wrong items. It's happened to me, too.
Yeah and the part that really sucks is that I could have gotten the "off the shelf" VTX kit from Dennis Kirk for $95 shipped. Instead, I talked to Edge on the phone about what I was doing and that I wanted a kit that would allow me to install the deluxe backrest and hang the edge bracket on the back two fender bolts. They got that part right. I'm happy with that. The guy I spoke to was very familiar with Tsukayu bags and said that the 0 degree brackets were what I needed and that my kit would be a special order only available from them. The brackets that came were the standard 8 degree pitch and I'm not going to settle. Especially after paying top dollar for the stuff. I already emailed the rep. I spoke to and hopefully he can expidite some to me while these are on their way back. Being Friday, I'm sure I won't hear back until Monday at the earliest. At least the bike is rideable if I need it. This is deja vu from that fairing trainwreck I just went through. :doh:

·
Registered
'06 VTX 1300 C and R
6,551 Posts
My in-laws live there. I was down there on my bike last year and again this past July 4th. Been getting off the interstate at Dollywood and onto 411. Follow that down to Route 2 over to Ringgold, 151 to 27, 27 to Summerville. We road up to Lafayette,gassed up, and got on the Cloudland parkway up there, like you did. My wife has 2 brothers that ride and enjoy getting out and about with them. Lots of really good roads to ride down there, Tn, Ga, Al. Enjoyed riding the brow of Little River last year.

tom

1 - 20 of 124 Posts