Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Good News and Bad News...

First, the good news...I found a spacer combination that works with my Honda deluxe backrest: On the rear fender bolts both sides, I have a 1" chrome spacer. On the middle fender bolts, I used the stock backrest spacer under the mounting bracket as I would normally. I placed a stainless washer between the bag mount and the backrest mount and the mounts lines up perfectly with the rear one and the bags fit a lot better now. I added another washer under the middle bolt for the right bag only to tweak it around the turn signal. Here are the results:

Attachments

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,517 Posts
Boo big pics still broken! :(

The bags do flex a bit so having them super tight on the tail lights is probably bad idea IMO.
Hard to tell how close you got.

My right bag kept beating up the light and knocking the kury bezel loose.
Maybe I should find less bumpy roads. :)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Good News and Bad News Continued...

Now, for the bad news...because with me, that's just life. Just when I thought I had it all figured out, here comes a curveball. If you notice, I decided to assemble my backrest and put on the passenger seat. That way I could get a better idea of how these will look and work when the bike is in 2-up configuration. The first problem I sort of expected: The bag lid hits the passenger grab handle. It sucks, but I can live without them. Okay, so I remove the right grab handle, and the bag lid also hits the damn luggage rack. Now I'm pissed. :mad: You can flex the lid outward and carefully clear it, but if I forget to do that, it will screw up the paint in the future. This is a new one that I haven't seen and was curious if anybody else has had this problem. The grab handles are optional, but I don't want to do away with the luggage rack completely. I'm curious if a different one will fit my backrest and if the lid wil clear it when opening. Any help or suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Boo big pics still broken! :(

The bags do flex a bit so having them super tight on the tail lights is probably bad idea IMO.
Hard to tell how close you got.

My right bag kept beating up the light and knocking the kury bezel loose.
Maybe I should find less bumpy roads. :)
I know exactly what you're saying and have thought the same thing. The bags are not pushing against the lights in anyway right now. You can still freely move the light bezels around. I pushed down on the bags pretty hard and the foam came up against the lights, but it didn't seem to put pressure on them. I'll have to ride it and see. If there is rubbing, a washer under a mounting bracket should cure it.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,517 Posts
Cool on that then.
You might have to settle for having them spaced out more to get the luggage rack clearance you need.
Doesn't look like much space needed from that 3rd pic.

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
The lids on these bags hit the side rails of my wife's backrest. This is a cheap Calvary backrest that we only use when taking trips that require the use of a tour pack that is mounted on the backrest/luggage rack. Originally, the Calvary backrest would not fit at all but I cut about 3-4 inches off the front of each side plate and Dremeled out new grooves in the side plates to shove the entire backrest assembly forward. This was okay since we never ride 2-up. She doesn't even have a pillion on her bike. Moving the side plates forward allowed the bag lids to open but only if you pull the lid a little outward while opening. As you say, if you forget this while opening or closing the lids, you could scratch the paint.

I really like your spacing. It looks PERFECT. These bags need to hug the fender to look right and yours do just that.

G'day,

Vinish

·
There Can Only Be One
2,673 Posts
You might have to settle for having them spaced out more to get the luggage rack clearance you need.
Doesn't look like much space needed from that 3rd pic.
Yup, that's probably the best you'll be able to do, but it should still look better than the first set of pics. Sorry you're having to deal with yet another dilemma. By any chance is your neighbor named Murphy? :banghead:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Yup, that's probably the best you'll be able to do, but it should still look better than the first set of pics. Sorry you're having to deal with yet another dilemma. By any chance is your neighbor named Murphy? :banghead:
It's funny you say that. Of the mods and maintenance I've done, most of it went off without a hitch. It's just seems lately my projects are doomed to fail for some reason.

On the fairing project, I was afraid of the obvious possibilities of it going to pot. For example, I was concerned I may run into quality issue--like it not sealing up or being warped or irregular--but other than some crappy paint ruining my speaker grilles and being shorted my mountinmg plates it went well. My biggest challenge was finding time to finish the project. The large time gaps on having time to finish it caused a lot of my problems.

When I extended my cables last year, the only issue was on the new front brake line, I struggled until you suggested reverse bleeding it. Then it was easily fixed.

However, on the multiple bags I've had lately it's been nothing but issue after issue with hardware and fitment...and I have laid down big bucks for items that are specifically designed to fit my bike and I'm still running into problems. The long fine threaded metric bolts are almost impossible to find in stainless, too. The M10s I have are okay for mock-up, but they don't have enough grip length to be permanent.

On the bright side, my other set of quick release Tsukayus sold and I got refunds for the Edge brackets, tail lights, and adapters. I lost a little on return shipping, but that's just part of it.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
I'm curious--if I changed luggage racks, the bag tops might have clearance while opening. I just don't know if other Honda racks will work with the deluxe mounts due to angle and hole pattern. I actually don't even like the deluxe luggage rack anyway. The backrest and mounts are fine, but I always thought my rack was fugly. Here's one I like, but I have no idea if it would fit. Also, I don't know if it would help with my bag lid clearance issue.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Not positive, but I think Hondaline accessories are designed to go with the specific brackets they're designed for...Meaning you can't mix a deluxe backrest with standard brackets and vice versa...Can't tell (damn pics won't enlarge) how much clearance you need, but I would space the bags out in 1/8" increments and run the rack you already have...Would be alot cheaper than buying an all new rack, possibly still having the same clearance issue with the new one...

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
And you might have to space out the turn signals, too, so they stay in the same cutout area like you have them now.
The rubber boots for the turn signals have a flange that seals up the holes on the fenders. If I shim out the turn signals, the rubber flanges will be spaced away from the fender. I tried using washers under the rear bag mount spacers and it threw off the turn signal spacing inside the pockets and it didn't seem to help the bag lid issue. I believe I'm stuck with what I have because the bags are right were I want them. It's more important to me that the bags fit the fender right. With these big bags and my Kuryakyn Grantour bag, I won't be needing the rack much, so I'll leave it off. I would still at least like to try the other Honda rack in a few posts back. I've been looking at Ebay and they are way over-priced. :hmm2:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I'm curious--if I changed luggage racks, the bag tops might have clearance while opening. I just don't know if other Honda racks will work with the deluxe mounts due to angle and hole pattern. I actually don't even like the deluxe luggage rack anyway. The backrest and mounts are fine, but I always thought my rack was fugly. Here's one I like, but I have no idea if it would fit. Also, I don't know if it would help with my bag lid clearance issue.
Not positive, but I think Hondaline accessories are designed to go with the specific brackets they're designed for...Meaning you can't mix a deluxe backrest with standard brackets and vice versa...Can't tell (damn pics won't enlarge) how much clearance you need, but I would space the bags out in 1/8" increments and run the rack you already have...Would be alot cheaper than buying an all new rack, possibly still having the same clearance issue with the new one...
Well, I recently bought a standard rear carrier from a member and despite seeing an image on Google showing one being mounted to a deluxe backrest...and having the same mounting hole spacing...it will not fit properly because the angle of the bolt holes is different between the two models. I'm stuck with the deluxe carrier unless I change everything--which I don't care to do right now. So the standard carrier is out...and in the classifieds here. I'll just leave the rack off unless I really need it. Bassdude tried to warn me about this, but it was a misleading image and the same bolt spacing that led me to try it. I like the standard rack better than the deluxe one and hoped it would have better cleatrance, but it just isn't in the cards.

However, I do have some good news. I got the cash together to get the bags painted and they have been at the shop since last week. I should be getting them back soon--hopefully this week. I'll post up some pictures when it's all done.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
still :16:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Christmas, the bags, unexpected vehicle problems--yeah...still. I did some side work on a relative's house and made enough to get the bags painted. They should be ready any time.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Christmas, the bags, unexpected vehicle problems--yeah...still. I did some side work on a relative's house and made enough to get the bags painted. They should be ready any time.

thats a beautiful thing. side work on neighbors house is how i paid for the aft kit

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
While waiting on my bags, I decided to try a mod that should help anybody who has these type bags. I got some stainless countersunk screws to replace the panhead screws in my rear taillight bezels. I used a countersink bit and made the screws flush with the plastic bezel in order to prevent the screw head scratching the paint on the inside of the bags. Don't worry, this mod didn't blow up in my face--in fact I'm fairly pleased with it. :cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
:47b20s0: Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together. Good job Chris. If I couldn't have QQ bags w/ drop fender ($$$$) I'd like the bags you have now.
tom

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I'm hoping to get a call from my painter any day now. I want to get these bags on and show them off...

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Be gentle with that new paint !!! Sometimes I get in too big of a hurry and have a slip :gah:. My bike has that 5 foot finish now, the closer you get the more you see the war wounds. But, I use it, and enjoy it.
tom

81 - 100 of 124 Posts