Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,089 Posts
While waiting on my bags, I decided to try a mod that should help anybody who has these type bags. I got some stainless countersunk screws to replace the panhead screws in my rear taillight bezels. I used a countersink bit and made the screws flush with the plastic bezel in order to prevent the screw head scratching the paint on the inside of the bags. Don't worry, this mod didn't blow up in my face--in fact I'm fairly pleased with it. :cheers:
Excellent idea. I will do this to my wife's bike.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Super Moderator
10,089 Posts
Time to clean out the living room :D
No, this is a minor tweak that can wait until spring. Although, now that the Christmas holiday is over, we have no use for the living room until next December. Hmmm......

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
be carefull not tighten it up to much. it will split the plastic where the counter sink is

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
***update***

Here are some pictures of my bike with the bags all painted up and installed. These were taken inside HawkVTX's man-cave during the Alabama tech session last weekend. The bike was just ridden there in inclement weather, so it wasn't clean, but these will give you an idea. I will get some more posted later when it's nice out with a clean bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
'06 VTX 1300 C and R
6,551 Posts
:47b20s0: Proud of you Chris. A lot of set-backs, maybe a few salty words -- but in the end your hard work paid off. An excellent looking ride, really like your two tone fairing. And your bags came out nice and close to the fender. Congrats man :mosh:
tom

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
That looks great...looks like it came that way from the factory! Great job!
A compliment from you is definately earned. I was going for OEM as far as fit and finish, however I still wanted a custom look that worked with the Retro's style and lines. I'm thinking I'll go back to having the visors on my lightbar spotlights. I took them off and I think the lights need something. Now if I could only find some Dooleys...

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
Thanks, the fairing is single-tone, but I think the lighting causes it to look that that way. I am considering a conservative pinstripe on the tank and possibly the fairing, just to break up the monotony. I like the "tourer" badges I put on the bags--Honda is certainly proud of those too if you know what I mean...

·
Registered
'06 VTX 1300 C and R
6,551 Posts
My bad. The light really follows the lines of the fairing perfectly. Did you try Ron Ayers for the badges ?? Been getting a list of R fender stuff together to buy from them. Next winters project: CTRO or however you spell it. Should start with $ sign. A bike is never done.
tom

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here are some pictures of my bike with the bags all painted up and installed. These were taken inside HawkVTX's man-cave during the Alabama tech session last weekend. The bike was just ridden there in inclement weather, so it wasn't clean, but these will give you an idea. I will get some more posted later when it's nice out with a clean bike.
Bikes looks great! Love the bags. Nothing like the fit and finish of a bag that's designed specifically for a certain bike. I can't wait for my Tsukayu GPS fairing to get here... :16:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
looks great really nice

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Bikes looks great! Love the bags. Nothing like the fit and finish of a bag that's designed specifically for a certain bike. I can't wait for my Tsukayu GPS fairing to get here... :16:
Thanks a lot. These bags were not my first choice--but neither was the R model VTX. I guess they sort of grew on me. That Tsukay fairing is going to be sick. Show us plenty of pictures.

looks great really nice
Thanks, Greg. Are you still going to get those small wing badges for yours?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I thought about saving and pianting bike in old school 2 tone paint nova blue and off white

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
I thought about saving and pianting bike in old school 2 tone paint nova blue and off white
That would be cool. Early on I wanted to change colors entirely, but, I've come a little too far. I do want to look into doing some pinstriping on the tank and possibly the fairing--just a consevative accent to pick up a line or two.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
That would be cool. Early on I wanted to change colors entirely, but, I've come a little too far. I do want to look into doing some pinstriping on the tank and possibly the fairing--just a consevative accent to pick up a line or two.

some fine line black stripes wit a red line thrown in would be nice

·
Registered
757 Posts
You are going to love it. I've had one for about a year, and the color match is spot on. I get a lot of positive comments on the look of the fairing. The only downsides are that the screen could be brighter, and that it took several tries to get the fairing reasonably even and level. The Memphis Shades brackets on the R is just too easy to have a little misaligned.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Bags are doing fine--so far so good. However, has anybody had problems with the little retaining clips that go in the holes behind the quick release handles falling out? I've lost a few and found some more at Ace Hardware, but they are slightly bigger and won't stay in either.

·
Super Moderator
10,089 Posts
Yes, several of those little cotter pin like clips have fallen out on my wife's bike. I have looked for new ones but have not been able to fine any small enough to fit through the tiny holes. I will look more for some and may also consider drilling the holes slightly larger.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
i dont use them

101 - 120 of 124 Posts