Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Honda VTX 1300S
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Wondering if anyone here has had any experience with Tsukayu. I've been shopping around for a batwing fairing and they come in cheapest by far getting to canada, plus I can get it color matched.

Legit website? Good quality? Worth the money? If the fairing were to work out may also check into the touring trunk for longer runs.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
8,104 Posts
Legit but I only have experience with the bags.
Great saddlebags if you get the fiberglass. I don't trust plastic.

I've seen the fairing in person on another bike it looked okay. Used quick release brackets but not sure if it came that way or they added it. Built in stereo and GPS is unique looking so if it fails I doubt you'll find one of same size to fit the hole. I know they said the GPS is limited not great. Tunes were fine.

·
Registered
2003 Honda VTX 1300S
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Legit but I only have experience with the bags.
Great saddlebags if you get the fiberglass. I don't trust plastic.

I've seen the fairing in person on another bike it looked okay. Used quick release brackets but not sure if it came that way or they added it. Built in stereo and GPS is unique looking so if it fails I doubt you'll find one of same size to fit the hole. I know they said the GPS is limited not great. Tunes were fine.
I've found most automotive type GPS' don't cooperate well anyways, lol, more interested in it for tunes anyways. Do you know where they ship from? I heard there's about a 6 week lead time.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
8,104 Posts
China and it was more than that I think when I bought my bags but that was way back in 2012.

Replace cheap low grade bolts with good stuff from hardware store and use loctite.

There are other fairing options. Reckless, USA trailer store (reckless clone), etc.
I had one of the first reckless with the better brackets. Bring your own stereo and use Harley windshields. Good option if you have any experience with stereos.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,297 Posts
I bought mine from Value Accessories. I actually bought two about 10 years ago. One for my bike and one for my ex's 750 shadow. As with everything I see they went up in price. It uses Memphis shades quick release hardware and I don't remember if It came with it or was sold separately. It may be different now.

It mounted to the hardware with some spacers also not included. I bought a couple spacers from the hardware store along with some washers until I determined what size I actually needed and then made some at work out of Stainless tubing for both bikes. That was probably the most PITA part of it.

Electrical connections have one screw together plug which I ran the yellow wire to the hot side of a relay and red and ground to the triggered side of the relay. Yellow powers the clock and memory and red powers the radio. Radio and power port were all pre-wired inside the fairing. The radio is decent. Mine has CD, USB and SD card. I only use the SD card with one folder and I'm guessing 4-6GB of random songs and I just shuffle though that.

I've since added Lowers with two six inch speakers and a small Nitro amp which I don't think they make anymore, but that's a different rabbit hole. I also have Tsukayu Saddlebags which I'm happy with.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
850 Posts
I am happy with my Tsukayu batwing and saddlebags. I did replace the speakers with Polk Audio mm692's and the amp with rockford fosgate tm400x2ad. Their speakers are crap, and the amp was ok, but once I went to the Polk Audio speakers, I needed more than their upgraded amp could push.

I got their ABS plastic bags, there is no doubt they are as strong as the fiberglass. The only reason I wish I got the fiberglass bags instead is, I would have brought them to a shop to have them extended. They are HUGE, but I would like the look of them a little lower. They made them so they fit all exhausts, my exhaust is very low. I would have like to close up that gap some.

I have had no issues with their hardware. I did ask for longer bolts for the bags. I heard that they weren't long enough especially with the '08+ models (we have slightly different fender rails). They sent me both the longer and shorter bolts at no extra charge.

I did have their default GPS antenna stop working. When I shook it, I could hear rattling inside. I ended up getting a cheap on on Amazon, while Tsukayu sent me a replacement (at no charge). I got the Tsukayu replacement and put it in the parts bin.

Reactions: Rbaer69 and sumdatx

·
Registered
2003 Honda VTX 1300S
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought mine from Value Accessories. I actually bought two about 10 years ago. One for my bike and one for my ex's 750 shadow. As with everything I see they went up in price. It uses Memphis shades quick release hardware and I don't remember if It came with it or was sold separately. It may be different now.

It mounted to the hardware with some spacers also not included. I bought a couple spacers from the hardware store along with some washers until I determined what size I actually needed and then made some at work out of Stainless tubing for both bikes. That was probably the most PITA part of it.

Electrical connections have one screw together plug which I ran the yellow wire to the hot side of a relay and red and ground to the triggered side of the relay. Yellow powers the clock and memory and red powers the radio. Radio and power port were all pre-wired inside the fairing. The radio is decent. Mine has CD, USB and SD card. I only use the SD card with one folder and I'm guessing 4-6GB of random songs and I just shuffle though that.

I've since added Lowers with two six inch speakers and a small Nitro amp which I don't think they make anymore, but that's a different rabbit hole. I also have Tsukayu Saddlebags which I'm happy with.

Does the quick release work well? According to their website they are included. I like that option, i tend to take my windshield off now when I'm just commuting to work.

I've got an accessory fuse box and main relay ran into mine for driving lights and heated grips, should be easy to add another.

How do you find it in terms of power draw? I already have a few accessories, considering switching all my lights to LED to afford a bit more amperage.

·
Registered
2003 Honda VTX 1300S
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am happy with my Tsukayu batwing and saddlebags. I did replace the speakers with Polk Audio mm692's and the amp with rockford fosgate tm400x2ad. Their speakers are crap, and the amp was ok, but once I went to the Polk Audio speakers, I needed more than their upgraded amp could push.

I got their ABS plastic bags, there is no doubt they are as strong as the fiberglass. The only reason I wish I got the fiberglass bags instead is, I would have brought them to a shop to have them extended. They are HUGE, but I would like the look of them a little lower. They made them so they fit all exhausts, my exhaust is very low. I would have like to close up that gap some.

I have had no issues with their hardware. I did ask for longer bolts for the bags. I heard that they weren't long enough especially with the '08+ models (we have slightly different fender rails). They sent me both the longer and shorter bolts at no extra charge.

I did have their default GPS antenna stop working. When I shook it, I could hear rattling inside. I ended up getting a cheap on on Amazon, while Tsukayu sent me a replacement (at no charge). I got the Tsukayu replacement and put it in the parts bin.

Appreciate the pics. Thats a huge help to visualise actually, lol. I think id go the fiberglass route. My saddles are that now (not Tsukayu, but color matched fiberglass), and ive been very pleased with the look and strength.

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,297 Posts
Does the quick release work well? According to their website they are included. I like that option, i tend to take my windshield off now when I'm just commuting to work.

I've got an accessory fuse box and main relay ran into mine for driving lights and heated grips, should be easy to add another.

How do you find it in terms of power draw? I already have a few accessories, considering switching all my lights to LED to afford a bit more amperage.
Quick release comes off easy and holds it secure, but it is a bear to get everything lined up. No issue with power that I've noticed

Reactions: sumdatx

·
Registered
850 Posts
For me, once you get it lined up, I can have my batwing on and off in 5 minutes. It is real easy. Once I got it, and tried riding without the batwing I turned around and put it back on, I don't like to ride without it.

It comes with 3 wires, 1 accessory, 12V+ constant, and 12V- constant. I soldered the accessory to an already existing accessory wire, and went directly to the battery with the other 2. It already comes with a harness disconnect, so it is simple to remove when taking off the batwing. I added LED indicators to my batwing, so I can actually see when my indicators are on without looking down. I just tapped into the indicator light wires for them. I added another quick disconnect on the opposite side for that.

Reactions: Rbaer69 and sumdatx

·
Super Moderator
11,301 Posts
I applaud the addition of turn signal indicator lights. I have ridden behind a LOT of VTX riders whose turn signal blinked for many miles. To simplify things, a single turn signal indicator light on the fairing would likely be sufficient. Its purpose is not to signal anyone of a direction but merely to alert the rider that a turn signal is blinking. Heck, you press the turn signal button the same way to turn it off regardless of which direction is blinking.

Reactions: Rbaer69

·
Fastest Red Club Member
8,104 Posts
I've thought of turn signals on the outside edge on rider side of fairing. Both to alert rider to the turn signals and also cars approaching from rear. Similar to autos with turn signals on mirrors. Haven't done it yet on either bike but it's been a thought for a while.

·
Super Moderator
11,301 Posts
IndyX, I have mirrors with turn signals in them that blink and are visible from both the front and rear. Of course, since your and my bikes have self-cancelling turn signals, we do not need these visible reminders but they are VERY visible to traffic as well as the rider. I do not know the brand or model but if you want more info on them, I can look for it in the records the previous owner provided to me.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
8,104 Posts
IndyX, I have mirrors with turn signals in them that blink and are visible from both the front and rear. Of course, since your and my bikes have self-cancelling turn signals, we do not need these visible reminders but they are VERY visible to traffic as well as the rider. I do not know the brand or model but if you want more info on them, I can look for it in the records the previous owner provided to me.
It's well documented on his blog.
Not a huge fan of them on the mirrors like that.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I applaud the addition of turn signal indicator lights. I have ridden behind a LOT of VTX riders whose turn signal blinked for many miles. To simplify things, a single turn signal indicator light on the fairing would likely be sufficient. Its purpose is not to signal anyone of a direction but merely to alert the rider that a turn signal is blinking. Heck, you press the turn signal button the same way to turn it off regardless of which direction is blinking.
This is true that a single directional would suffice. In my instance, I liked the balanced look of having both, there really wasn't a good place to mount a single unit in the middle of that batwing.

Anyone planning on doing a single indicator, would need to add diodes, or they would backfeed the other directional effectively making their indicators into hazards only. Or, if there are indicator lights that are 3 wire and designed to not backfeed the other 12V+.

Reactions: sumdatx and IndyX

·
Registered
Deplorable #2
6,810 Posts
Hey all,

Wondering if anyone here has had any experience with Tsukayu. I've been shopping around for a batwing fairing and they come in cheapest by far getting to canada, plus I can get it color matched.

Legit website? Good quality? Worth the money? If the fairing were to work out may also check into the touring trunk for longer runs.
I have both Tsukayu VTX Specific bags :))) and the Tsukayu tour trunk. The bags are really nice, fit is good and can be removed in about 1 min per bag. The tour trunk is ? designed ? to fit with the VTX bags but I had a lot of trouble with that. Finally figured out the mounts supplied by Tsukayu made fitting impossible if you had the VTX bags. The mounts are straight while the bags follow the curve of the rear fender (along the side and top). Took a couple of days to figure out how the bend the brackets to fit the bags (so they could be opened) and lined up evenly under the trunk. I tried working with the Tsukayu rep in Florida but he was no help -- once I let him know about the bracket being wrong for these bags, he never communicated any more. He knew that I'd figured out what they had screwed up.
As for the trunk itself, :))) pretty much perfect, has had no adverse affect on handling or fuel economy, holds 2 full face helmets, really like the air shock to hold the lid open, and same carpet lining as the bags (same hinges and lock too.)
Do a search to see the thread I did on the install of the trunk. Been a few months now, but it is still right and tight !!!!
🇨🇦

I put a couple of posts with pics in the thread recently: What have you done to your 1300 today?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey all,

Yes it's a legit site and even during the pandemic they had it to him in record time. He received it within a week or ordering it! My husband got a Tsukayu Fairing with with the large oval speakers and CD player already installed. He purchased it in the black gel-coat as his VTX1800 is black/burgundy. It works great, looks nice, but the gel-coat wasn't a great match for the black on the bike. I would suggest you get it primed but unpainted then have it painted to match, Husband eventually did just that and it's beautiful!
Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all,

It is a legit website, I own a Tsukayu fairing that I ordered with the the speakers, amp and controller. I have even ordered replacement parts. Looks great, and works great. Definitely use loctite and replace bolts whenever possible is the only thing. Mine has over 30K miles on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey all,

Agree with Indx. Fiberglass saddlebags were nice looking and good quality

1 - 20 of 27 Posts