Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:banghead: I do not know if there has been a thread posted about this or not.
The X is my 1st bike & I love it. One thing I have noticed that I forget to do once and awhile is to shut off the turn signal which is kind of embrassing & not a very safe thing to do while in traffic. So here is my question. Has anyone figured out how to get a self cancelling turn signal? Possibly some sort of a mercury switch mounted on the steering head cut in line? Any thoughts? :confused:

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
There are signal minders and self canceling fixes out there, or just get in a habit of canceling them.

·
Registered
353 Posts
There are units out there that can self-cancel, Kuryakyn makes one, a simple beeper is available at www.glensvtxgarage.com
I forget mine all the time, and it isn't safe, especially in traffic.
Happy modding!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I think most of us forget them at times, i know i still do. I dont forget them as much, but it was downright embarassing and of course, not safe when i first got my x..there are kits to buy as a previous poster said. Good luck with your bike!
Bry:choppersm

·
Re-member
1,078 Posts
I got a beeper for mine... inexpensive, easy install, and I don't forget to turn them off anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
I've got a beeper from Glen that you can have if you want it. It works fine, I just got tired of sounding like a dump truck backing up. But if you want it, it's yours. PM me your address.

I took it off when I got the Kisan unit. It has some behavior that I don't like, but IMO it's the best thing available.

Ride Safe:choppersm

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Donut here makes a Turn Signal Beeper you can put in your headlight bucket.

Beeps when your signal is on.. Gets annoying, to be honest.. but its a constant reminder..

-Gonz

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys thank You for the advice. As usual you guys are great!:patriot:

DKilleen PM sent & Thanks Bud!

·
9,160 Posts
I installed a beeper on mine that silences when you apply the brakes. Someone on this board posted a way to wire it that way, it's been awhile and don't remember who or when. Maybe a search will find the thread for it. I like it because if you're at a light or stop sign you don't have to sit there listening to it beep as long as you have a brake applied.

:choppersm

·
Re-member
1,078 Posts
Donut here makes a Turn Signal Beeper you can put in your headlight bucket.

Beeps when your signal is on.. Gets annoying, to be honest.. but its a constant reminder..

-Gonz
That's who I got mine from...:mosh:

I installed a beeper on mine that silences when you apply the brakes. Someone on this board posted a way to wire it that way, it's been awhile and don't remember who or when. Maybe a search will find the thread for it. I like it because if you're at a light or stop sign you don't have to sit there listening to it beep as long as you have a brake applied.

:hmm2:Sounds like a good mod to make to the beeper mod...it does get annoying sitting at a light!

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
One other option that I never had on any of my other bikes that took me a while to notice.
When canceling the signal you don't have to go from L or R to center with the button, you can just push in the button from that position and it cancels the signal.

(I'm sure most here know this about their X but some newer owners might not)

·
Favorite Bike - V65 Magna
1,437 Posts

Sounds like a good mod to make to the beeper mod...it does get annoying sitting at a light!
That's the way my Radio Shack piezo buzzers are installed. The black wires are connected to the brake lamp wire. It not only silences the beep when the brake is applied, it also warns if the brake lamp is burned out. If the brake lamp circuit is open (burned out), the turn signal alarm will not sound when it normally should. The system also alerted me to my rear brake switch being out of adjustment. It's a good mod.

I did a write up on the subject a while back: Turn Signal Buzzers Are Better Than Timeout Modules
http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=29881

Geezer

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Got one of Glen's turn signal beepers here....Pre-wired, excelent instructions, just plug in and go...Was a bit too loud, but a piece of black electrical tape covering part of the opening cured that...

BTW...Glen's is setup to be silent when the brake is applied...

·
Louisiana Swamp Rider
103 Posts
I installed a couple of Radio Shack piezo buzzers under the right side cover, $4.49 each.

Geezer
I used this method also before I installed the fairing and it worked great.

After the fairing, I installed to LED buttons, one on each side of the radio, which flash a 'bright' amber light in my eyes. Day or night, I no longer leave my turn signal flashing. I simply tapped into the turn signals in the headlight bucket and ran the wires up to the fairing. Total cost under $10.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I used this method also before I installed the fairing and it worked great.

After the fairing, I installed to LED buttons, one on each side of the radio, which flash a 'bright' amber light in my eyes. Day or night, I no longer leave my turn signal flashing. I simply tapped into the turn signals in the headlight bucket and ran the wires up to the fairing. Total cost under $10.
I just got my leds the other day to do the same thing. I got the 2" chrome strips and am going to mount them to the windshield.

·
'Chappy'
691 Posts
I did a write up a while back with some new variations.

http://vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=41621

and gleaned a few tips from the VTX tips site

http://vtx1300tips.com/TurnSignalbeeper.htm

and what I ended up with on my most recent project was a bright LED and a piezo beeper. in a very small compact experimenter box. three wires down to the headlight bucket. two diodes a buzzer 1 - 12v LED and a small on off switch to turn the beeper on and off when I am running my four way flashers.

sidenote: four ways are great and easy to add. I did a write up on that one as well
http://vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=46140

The result ended up that when I am not paying attention to the bright white light, that the beeper would catch my attention. sometimes especially in groups, I am paying more attention to traffic around me than I am to what is blinking below me, so the beeper works well

I did end up using a small molex connector on the three wires coming from the headlight bucket, so that i could leave the LED box mounted to either the fairing or windshield and just unplug when I wanted to remove either one. that and if I come up with any other options, I can unplug and plug without having to mess with the headlight bucket.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As usual you guys are the best. I love this site no one makes you feel like a dope for asking a question. You ask a question and everyone pitches in some real common sense input and practical experience. I thank you all for the help and have glens beeper on the way from Dkill. The Cafe and its members are top notch in my book.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts