Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after riding more than 4 months on expired tags ( I bought my VTX used last year) I finally registered my bike. Problem is, I didn't ride the bike to the Clerk's office and was not sure what the mileage was.

Me, being an idiot, claimed it was "around" 23,000k. Title came today, it reads 23,000k like I said....only problem is, the bike has 8,400k miles!!! Shit!

I was already warned that misreporting mileage is 'federal crime' by the bitchy lady at the Clerk's office, but this is a huge difference in mileage that I would prefer to have corrected.

Have any of you been through this? I don't know how to proceed in order to a.) receive a new title with the correct mileage and b.) not get arrested for said, "Federal Crime". Ugh.

Thanks, for any help! I'm a jackass.

:mad:

·
Registered
91 Posts
How far from the clerks office? I would have run home and checked lol.

Anyhow, tell them you said 23,000 because as you got out of your car, you forgot the true number of the X and remembered the odometer from your car?

O, and the other option is a few coast to coast runs, then Alaska a few times....lol.

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
They won't arrest you over an honest mistake...Now the 4 months of driving on the illegal tag ...lol...well :spank:

·
The Wanderer
6,665 Posts
You should be able to put on that many miles in about four or five months then you will be right back on track.

If you are worried about it I would just go back and tell them that there is a mistake on the mileage on the title. I wouldn't go in to how it came to be, just say it's wrong and get it corrected.

·
9,160 Posts
Why not ride the bike down there, explain the mistake, and ask what you need to do to correct it? They aren't going to throw you in jail for something like that. Leaving it status quo could lead to problems down the road that you don't want to deal with.

·
Let's Get Ready To Rumble
5,240 Posts
What should be done seems obvious.

I would recommend not calling them names to their faces, though.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
If you would have reversed the numbers, you would of had a problem. As long as you ride it enough miles to pass the 23K before you sell it- it will be just fine.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
over statement of miles is a no big deal, the law stems from when you could turn back the miles.

Should only take a year or 2 to get to what you put down or you could just let Marty borrow your ride for a few weeks.

·
Misses Training Wheels :(
62 Posts
Another excuse could be you had a near dead battery and the electrical was fluctuating. This happened when I bought my X a few months back. The battery was shot and the odo was flickering randomly. We couldnt tell the exact mileage so the guy guesstimated. Turns out he was within a couple hundred miles of being correct.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Really, the only time it comes into play is when you transfer the title (sell it). Otherwise the govt. has no time to send anyone to verify mileage.

As stated, if it keeps bothering you, just go down and ask their opinion on how to get it changed.
I really believe that at least 50% of the used vehicles at dealers out there have mis-stated mileage on thier titles. Only theirs are intentional. Don't know how they get away with it, but I am certain it happens and is common practice.

On 2 separate instances, I've seen my former cars on lots with less mileage on them than I when I turned them in. After you trade them in, there's no telling where they wind up or who's played with them.
Paul

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Really, the only time it comes into play is when you transfer the title (sell it). Otherwise the govt. has no time to send anyone to verify mileage.

As stated, if it keeps bothering you, just go down and ask their opinion on how to get it changed.
I really believe that at least 50% of the used vehicles at dealers out there have mis-stated mileage on thier titles. Only theirs are intentional. Don't know how they get away with it, but I am certain it happens and is common practice.

On 2 separate instances, I've seen my former cars on lots with less mileage on them than I when I turned them in. After you trade them in, there's no telling where they wind up or who's played with them.
Paul
Over quotes aren't a big deal they never look at the mileage when you get stopped. If your going to ride alot you gow into the mileage or as stated just say it came back with the wrong mileage and you need it corrected. The downside is they may want the bike checked to be sure you didn't tamper with it and lower the mileage. the mileage was supposed to be filled out by whoever you bought it from not by you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts