Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Type of headlight on 1800S

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  BigGuy66 
#1 ·
I want to install an HID kit on my 2003 1800S with a stock headlight. What kind of HID kit should I get? I have read the forums about the dual, hi/low, single, double, etc. and I am not electrically inclined - thanks.
BigGuy

#3 ·
You're probably already aware of the following sticky/links but just in case:

There's a sticky on installing DDM Tuning HID lights on the Off Topic Forum. Here's the link:
http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php/46934-Step-by-Step-HID-Headlight-install

Here's the link to the DDM Tuning motorcycle HID Kits:
http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories/Motorcycle-HID-Kits-Lighting

I'm planning on installing the single 55watt Hi/Low Kit ($37.50) this winter, mid January to be specific...that's when my girlfriend leaves. I would think the single low beam kit would be the easiest, but only marginally so. Since you already have good driving lights, you probably only need the 35 watt one way low beam kit.

If you are unable to install the HID lights from the sticky instructions alone, then upload a few photos of your progress, and ask for assistance.

If you can wait until mid-January, we can do it together. I'm planning on starting or contributing to a thread on my install with a write-up and pics. :)

Whenever you choose to perform the install, you're never alone at the Cafe!

#6 ·
I installed the DDM H4 Hi/Lo 35w 5000k kit in my 1800S and my brother's 1800C a couple of months ago and we couldn't be happier. Be prepared to do some modification to the wiring harness to make everything fit though. The wires that connect to the H4 plug in the bucket aren't long enough to reach back under the tank, and you may have to extend the 12v power supply wire. The harnesses that come with the kits are really designed for use in cars and trucks, not bikes. If you've removed the pair valve, the best place to mount the ballast and hi/lo relay is under the backbone of the frame where the pair valve junk was at. I tried to put the ballast in the headlight bucket, but it's such a tight fit that I couldn't get the beam adjusted where it needed to be. I used a combination of double sided tape and zip ties to mount mine under there. You can get a 3 foot high voltage extention on ebay for a couple of bucks. DO NOT CUT AND EXTEND THE HIGH VOLTAGE WIRES. Standard auto wire will not handle the voltage.

Also, if you order from HID country or DDM, expect to wait 2-3 weeks for it to show up. Even though the websites will say that it's in stock, it will be shipped from China.

#7 ·
Thanks to all you good folks with the tips and good advice. I used the cafe' "call a friend" when I was doing my valves for the first time last winter. Great help! When I get ready for my winter work - January - I'll be back. Glad I asked now so I can get the parts ordered and then wait for 3 weeks... should be here by the time I am ready to do the work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.