Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After recent postings about the fit of the mustang seat on the 1800 retro, i have concerns about which seat to buy. so im turning to the forum hoping that some of you can help me make my decision, looking for reviews on both, hoping to get some response from someone who has had both. I am 5'9" about 235. the ultimate x site says if your over 200 pounds to get the big boy seat. i was going to order the lowrider seat to drop me down since i have lepricon legs.. only a 29 inseam. and some stops on my 1800 are alittle shaky. let me know what yall think

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
From one vertically challenged to another, with short inseam do yourself a favor and go with the lo-rider, touching the ground with flat feet is a good feeling, on top of that, the lo-rider makes you feel like your "in" the bike not "on" it..MHO. The ultimate people will probably tell you that at over 200lbs you will need a midrider, but I think they make you sit up too high. But its your ride, do what feels comfortable.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Seat

I am 6' 1" and 225 and I have only a 30 inseam all height in torso. I had the same concern and talked to Ultimate and over 200 lbs go Bigboy. I can't tell the height difference and it is a dream, like riding on air, often put 7 to 8 hours a day on weekend rides and only have to stop for gas or drinks. Ultimate X Bigboy is the best seat I have ever ridden in 42 years!

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Unfortunately it all depends on your butt/body. I've heard arguments for both. I heard people who just love either one...and then curse either one. Find someone who has them and go for long rides......try them out for yourself.

·
citement
2,236 Posts
I can't help with the Mustang vs Ultimate as I've only owned the Ultimate, but I couldn't be happier. Now I'm not quite as large at 5'8" and 185 but the lowrider is the perfect seat for me. You can always get the progressive shocks at 11.5 and lower yourself a bit if necessary but you want the seat to fit your butt, at least I think I would and the lowrider fits mind quite nicely.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You'll need to Lowrider. The Mustang will scoot you too far back. I have one just sitting in my garage that I'm going to sell in the Spring.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I have the lowrider on my 1300R. I am 5'7", 190, 28" inseam. I am on top of the tank. My guess is you would be too.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I've got the mustang vintage wide and it did move me back a little. I'm almost 6' and put on some risers with more pullback and still wish I had more pullback. I do love the comfort of the seat however.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have owned both Ultimate and Mustang, I prefer the Ultimate.
If you can find someone in your area that has either seat and try them, it would be a good idea.

·
Darksider
2,849 Posts
I've had stock, BadX, Mustand Wide Tour and Ultimate Lowrider.

BadX was nice but not for the passenger.

Mustang was ok for a few hours...got bad after about 3 hrs and I was on tank...hated that.

Ultimate is called Ultimate for a reason. ;)

I'm 5'11" and right at 200lbs with a 29" inseam. I now fit perfect with the Ultimate and 1.5" Punisher clone bars.:choppersm

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is just my opinion, but I own a Corbin seat and did a 1250 mile weekend this summer.
Takes a few miles to get broken in, but is a pretty comfortable seat once it takes shape of your body.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have to say there is no comparison between the two. The Ultimate blows the Mustang out the door. Put it this way. When you see an Ultimate X seat for sale someone has sold there bike or moved to another, but sold with stock seat. Mustangs people sale regular. It is kind of like Roadhouse exhaust. You see the slip ons for sale but when have you seen someone take off doolies and sale them?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I have both seats, the mustang is a good seat I have the sport touring. But the ultimate is what it sayes ULTIMATE! It took a few miles to break in but even the wife can ride all day with no complaining. I'm 6'2 and 265lbs with 34" inseam I got the bigboy.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Where is best place to purchase Ultimate seats? Thanks
I called Ultimate Seats in Florida on Monday morning and my seat was here Wednesday at 1:30. Talk about fast shipping. Cost was $990.00 to my door. Worth every penny. I know that is expensive but my dad always said,"Don't look at what it cost, look at what it's worth." He also taught me to never to go cheap on a bed or work boots. He use to say,"You will spend most of your life in one or the other." Man was he ever right!:D

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
You'll need to Lowrider. The Mustang will scoot you too far back. I have one just sitting in my garage that I'm going to sell in the Spring.
The Mustang moves you Forward, not Back.

I have the Mustang Wide Touring.. Comparable to an Ultimate Big Boy in Size.

The Mustang is very nice. Ive done 500mi without issues on the Mustang. Its also $200-$250 cheaper than the Ultimate.

Either way, no watter what I, or anyone else here says... its your ass you oughta be listening to.

See if you can locate a VTX close to you that you can put the decision maker on. :)

-Gonz

1 - 20 of 53 Posts