Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree with some about the Mustang, and disagree with others. I agree about it moving you further back, in which I love cause I'm 6'3" 235lbs, I also love the comfort for the size that I am, and strongly agree with the people of shorter stature that these seats are not for shorter people. I have also rode my buddies X and found it comfortable for my size, but I am staying with the Mustang. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got a 2006 VTX 1300c this weekend (upgrading from my first bike, a 2000 Honda Shadow 750 ACE. Now I can play with the big kids lol). It's got an Ultimate X seat on it which is very nice, but I'm 6'4" 310 lbs so while it's a good seat, it gets a little uncomfortable after a long ride (which I just did yesterday). I would say Ultimates are good quality, but make sure it fits your frame. That low hard back on them can be irritating after awhile, but thats only because it's me with THAT seat.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i had mustang sport touring and found a ultimate so i bought it because of the reputation and my opinion the mustang is just as good if not better than ultimate. im 6'3 210.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I found the big boy thread!:mosh: 6'7" 260 here, def. need some seat mods! I want to go back, not down, Big Boy is way to go? wtf does anybody do about the pass seat edge hitting in the back of butt?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I myself am new to motorcycles and my VTX 1800 C3 had mustang seats when I bought it. The ones on my bike are not very comfortable and my wife hates the rear one but I can tolerate mine. I am 6' 250 lbs with a 32 inseam.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have there been any notable changes to mustangs and ultimate seats since this thread was created/discussed? I just purchased an 06 vtx 1300c and need a new seat soon as my ass hurts after about 45 minutes. I do have an air hawk 2 which I just put on (haven't tested any hour+ rides yet with it on though).

·
Registered
16,633 Posts
Have there been any notable changes to mustangs and ultimate seats since this thread was created/discussed? I just purchased an 06 vtx 1300c and need a new seat soon as my ass hurts after about 45 minutes. I do have an air hawk 2 which I just put on (haven't tested any hour+ rides yet with it on though).
The Airhawk will see you until you can swing an Ultimate, Russell, Robert Doerr, or some new seat that will make life happy. Mean City Cycles will also modify your present seat for a lot less than a new one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I picked up a big boy for 45 bucks shipped in perfect shape but had it recovered while customizing my bike..at 1st the seat was cutting off circulation to my legs but seemed to get better over a weeks time.
Then I have it covered in gator down the center and the edges was done in old barfly or bear i cant remember lol but it looked good. Pricey but nice... my seat guy was amaziing.. and I told him about my circulation issue that faded.. so he removed padding from the sides and added a inch of memory foam to the top. U can't tell by the shape but my rear and legs enjoy all the subtleties... the only thing that hurts after 8bhrs on the road is my %@%$knees from being bent ..
My seat guy said he was sorry about my old knees but that out of his wheel house... lol 😆 the Jell seat is a Big No in.my book..hot and comfortable for a short time.the memory foam will not make the ride higher just fills in the voids i love my bike .... what sux they stopped making new models so I can not keep buying newer ... Is the did continue building they would have most likely screwed it up trying to make it better.
Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had both on my 1300. I started out on the Mustang. It was the studded model with backrest. It became uncomfortable after about five hours of riding. A friend had the Ultimate X big boy seat on his 1800. It was really comfortable but at 5' 10" and 30 inch inseam, it was too tall. I could not put my feet flat on the ground. I did go ahead and get the Ultimate X for the 1300. I also got the big boy model but my seat was not as comfortable as his. I don't know what the difference was. There was not enough of an improvement to justify the additional expense in my opinion. I still have the 1300 with the Ultimate X seat. Last fall I got the 1800N. I was going to get the Mustang studded seat for it but the studded seat is not available for the N. Remembering my experience on the other 1800, I went against advice and got the low rider instead of the big boy. The seat works great but it is not as much padding so I can't ride as long without breaks. I don't regret it. I would prefer the comfort of both feet flat on the ground when stopped vs an extra inch of padding.

So if you are going to get the low rider, save yourself some money and get the Mustang. The Mustang looks better and they are comparable for comfort. If you want the extra cushion, go with the Ultimate X big boy. Just be aware you won't be able to put your feet flat on the ground with it.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts