Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To the guys on here with more experience/knowledge than I have:

2004 1300c, bone stock + clayton mod 6 holes... Just cleaned out the tank and fuel system from what I thought was rust emptying down into fuel system. After taking the petcock apart I don't know how much of that I believe anymore...anyway, before my work, bike would start fine, but die intermittently. Last night, I got it all back together and now it stumbles with any throttle blip. I read about it being the needle/shim system if it stumbles up high and the a/f screw if it stumbles at idle, specifically if it goes below my 900rpm idle... I'm thinking it's the a/f screw but my question is how would this all of a sudden be the cause? Before I got the fuel system cleaned out, all the throttle dynamics were fine, no stumbling, blurps, nothing, just died mid ride. I would have to start it up, using choke "enricher" sometimes, and then I could go again for a while. I guess my A/f could have been off the whole time? Of note, I've only had the bike 2 months. It ran fine when I bought it but it had been sitting for a long time prior. Another thought I had was if I didn't get the carb 100% clean and jammed up one of the fuel outlets on the bowl...i dunno. Grasping at straws now. Anyway, when I can get to the damn AF screw I'll try to get it going and see if coming out 1/2 turn or so will help anything.

Man, I should stick to fixing people problems, motorcycle problems suck!

Thanks

Dave:banghead:

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I don't know the whole back story but if you already cleaned out the tank & carb, just taking a stab at it here are a few questions that come to mind first:
As Charlie mentioned did you get the seal on the carb top clocked right?
Did you clean out the fuel filter that is in the fuel hose inlet on the carb?
Did you pull out both the slow jet & the main jet and clean them?
Did you spray any carb cleaner up into the ports while the jets were out?
Have you checked the condition of the vacuum line going to the petcock?

If it's never been adjusted turning the a/f screw out a 1/2 turn will help it run much better overall but, no matter where the a/f is set it shouldn't cause it to not run at all so I doubt that is going to be the problem your describing. Another issue that is common with these bikes that causes the engine to shut down at random, that is the green & black wires break on the control module under the seat (on top of the battery)

Never fear though, if none of things are the issue there's enough people on here that we can get you going again one way or another

·
Registered
264 Posts
I am having similar problems with my 06 it just dies intermittenly in the middle of a ride and everyhing so far is leading to the petcock. I also know they had a recall on them but it was only from 07-on but there is a vacuum hose on the back side of it and for some reason my is acting like it is sticking or just closes for some reason. are you sure that you put the petcock together right? just a question

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know the whole back story but if you already cleaned out the tank & carb, just taking a stab at it here are a few questions that come to mind first:
As Charlie mentioned did you get the seal on the carb top clocked right? yup
Did you clean out the fuel filter that is in the fuel hose inlet on the carb? yup
Did you pull out both the slow jet & the main jet and clean them? yes
Did you spray any carb cleaner up into the ports while the jets were out? yes
Have you checked the condition of the vacuum line going to the petcock? yes

If it's never been adjusted turning the a/f screw out a 1/2 turn will help it run much better overall but, no matter where the a/f is set it shouldn't cause it to not run at all so I doubt that is going to be the problem your describing. that was my thought...i never messed with it before and it only backfired every now and then...now it runs like poop.
agreed.
Another issue that is common with these bikes that causes the engine to shut down at random, that is the green & black wires break on the control module under the seat (on top of the battery) I'll check that out. I've put a new seat on recently and so maybe all my fiddling about up there has messed something up.
Never fear though, if none of things are the issue there's enough people on here that we can get you going again one way or another
yup, dropped that little bugger out when I pulled the carb off the boots. Lucky I saw it. Trouble is the petcock screen and that screen were both clean except for one piece in the petcock filter...oh well

Appreciate the help.

Petcock I think is okay. Guess it wouldn't hurt to replace all the rubber in my now 7 year old bike. I probably need to redo the carb gaskets anyway...they're looking a little flat these days.

Thanks guys. Keep the ideas coming!

thanks

dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts