Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, this may be a really stupid question but here goes:
I am looking at picking up some V&H Big Shots for my '03 1800R off Craigslist. What I am afraid of is getting screwed - model wise. From the looks of it off V&H's web site, there is no real discernible difference between the Big Shots for the 1800R and the 1300S Retro. I just don't wanna pay the $$, bring them home and find out they don't fit.
The wife -->:spank:<--me
As an engineer, I've been digging all around for dimensions/angles to differentiate the two but I can't find anything other than the obligatory "this is how cool our stuff is" advertising from V&H.
Thanks for the help folks - ride safe.

·
High-Tech *******
1,039 Posts
If there is a difference it will be in the mounting bracket. You may be able to contact Vance and Hines and get a new one.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
If there is a difference it will be in the mounting bracket. You may be able to contact Vance and Hines and get a new one.
Nope...Pipes off a 1300 WILL NOT fit an 1800, no matter what bracket you get for it...Engines are different and pipes will not interchange...Have to be pipes made for an 1800...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope...Pipes off a 1300 WILL NOT fit an 1800, no matter what bracket you get for it...Engines are different and pipes will not interchange...Have to be pipes made for an 1800...
That's what I figured Bass. I just couldn't see the exit angles and inner dimensions being exactly the same for a 1300cc bike and an 1800cc bike. Still no word from V&H on how to tell the difference.

Seller doesn't have the brackets, but those are only ~$40 new and are worth it if you can get a used (but good cond) set of $500+ pipes for < $150.

@ctgoodman: No, I'm not trying to cross-fit. I just need to know how to tell the difference if I go to buy a set for my 1800R and they turn out to be for the 1300S Retro.

Thanks for all the input folks. If I do hear back from V&H about the pipes, I'll be sure to post back for anyone else looking.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
**Resolved**

Ok, I heard back from V&H this morning. Here is their response, "[FONT=&quot]Yes, the pipe angles and bends are different. There are also part numbers stamped on the parts."

Makes sense. The Big Shots for the 1800R are p/n: 18411 and for the 1300S Retro are 18413.
That makes things really easy.
Thanks for the input the Cafe members and thanks to V&H for answering a dumb question that really did mean something to me.

[/FONT]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts