Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally took the plunge and bought a pair of Big Shots. They should arrive by this weekend. I have been researching the installation, and I am trying to anticipate what I will need. I am mostly interested in what the instruction manual doesn't mention. So, here is what I found out.

I just ordered two exhaust gaskets. These are also called crush gaskets, right?

My 17mm socket is rather cheap and worn, so I bought a new, Craftsman, shallow version. This should help with the oil changes too.

I have read about acorn nuts, but I am not really sure I understand the exact issue surrounding these. I am gonna take a closer look at my bike when I get home.

Washers? Same thing as with the acorns. Where are these washers and why might they cause me some problems?

What are block-off plates? Will I need them? Why?

What am I missing? Is the instruction manual really that detailed enough to get a newbie motorcycle mechanic through? I read part of it, and there are some definitions I may need help with.

Anyway, I have always had good luck with this forum. Some of the best folks around, that's for sure.

The stock exhaust got a little scrapped up last week. That is what prompted this move to begin with. Not sure what value they have now.

Thanks for the advice and assistance.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
OK, washers are needed under the stock acorn nuts to seal the pipes up due to the mounting flanges being thinner than the stock pipes...

Block off plates are for the PAIR valve removal...PAIR valve system is an emissions system on the bike that injects fresh air into the exhaust ports on top of each cylinder head under the gas tank...With aftermarket pipes, the system pulling air into the exhaust creates popping and gurgling noises....Removing the system eliminates those noises...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Basedude404. I will have to get some of those washers between now and the weekend. I wish I understood things better. I have an X Air Box, and I did manage to install the Scar mod on the carb. I thought I read where this should take care of the popping/gurgling issue. Am I mistaken here?

I read posts/articles on the site then forget where they were. I spend tons of time going back through the posts trying to find something I read. This may very well be one of those times.

I know, I know. Bookmark the page so you can find it. Well, I just don't always realize what is and isn't important at the time I'm reading it, and I can't bookmark every page. Anyway, it is fun nonetheless.

Thanks again for all your help. Then and now.

·
Super Moderator
10,079 Posts
Scar mod on the carb has little/no effect on the popping/gurgling. To eliminate the popping/gurgling, you do the PAIR mod which is completely different. The pair mod is easy but requires that you buy for about $40 a pair of dimpled block-off plates.

What baffles did you get with your big shots? If you bought nothing extra, then you are getting the stock baffles. These are the loudes baffles for the big shots and most people like them. If you want quieter, there is a V&H quiet baffle that reduces the noise but also makes the sound less pleasant - more high pitched.

If you are confident that you will just use the stock baffles that come with the big shots, you are all set. If you think you may switch back and forth between various baffles, you should consider drilling a hole in your heat shields immediately above the set screw that holds in the baffles. The set screw is very near the end of each pipe and is in the pipe. This set screw is covered by the heat shields and to get the heat shields off, you have to remove the pipes from the engine. Some folks report that they can get the heat shields off without removing the pipes from the engine but they are the lucky minority. By drilling a 1/2" diameter hole in the heat shields above the set screw, you can access the set screw with the heat shields in place thus allowing easy baffle replacement. These two holes (one for each pipe/baffle) are located on the wheel side of the heat shield so they don't even show up.

Good luck and G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like Dennis Kirk sent me the wrong bracket for my V&H Big Shots. There is no way this bracket will fit. I guess we will see how cooperative their customer service is. And, I guess my bike will remain inactive for another week. Wonderful, just wonderful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts