Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
on a personally level, whoever was riding those bike didn't know how to ride. i say that from experience. about 30 miles from house is a drag strip (the rockingham dragway, in north carolina). i had a meanstreak (tuned to perfection). i raced it more than once. i cut two vrods and three vmax asses on that bike. then again, maybe the guys i rode against didn't know how to ride......i don't know. all i know is what the bike i had would do..:)

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
New VMax is out...All the bike mags have write-ups on it...Almost 200hp on two wheels is just friggin' nuts!!!!!...Bike looks evilish cool too!!!!!...Would be a buttload of fun, but I'd probably just kill myself on something like that...I'll just stick to my "X"...

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Comparing apples and oranges and cantalope is what it looks like.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Interesting article but very narrow in its interpretation of results. I would like to see the same article with the perspective of what is the best bike available and on the road right now inclusive of its ability to travel.

I was very close to purchasing the V-Rod for many reasons but at the end of the day had to ask myself why everyone wanted to sell me their newer Harley (05-06) so cheap. The answers I was always given were comfort and not very practicle for cross country riding.

I must say though, I was surprised as heck to learn my bike outweighed the Valkyrie and had to send the article to a close friend who swears by his. He had to call me back and attempt to rub it in my face. I responded by asking if he would trade his Valkyrie (which is immaculate) for my VTX (pictures in the album) to which he saidm "Thats not the point here"

At the end of the day, we need not even consider a comparison with the mean Streak and the V-Max and Magna pretty much speak for themselves so we are left with the Warrior and VTX.

Need I have to explain further....best damn bike you can get for show, local fun and heading across country, or countries as it is in my case.

Hey....why weren't their any more Harleys in the pack???

Was out yesterday and sitting with a bunch of friends and a couple started ribbing me to which I explained my lack of choice for a Harley was not only for the ancient and antiquated design (lack of liquid cooling), but also that they were too common. Everyone has a Harley so much so that they don't get noticed at all anymore. Now the VTX.... wish I had a penny for every compliment so far. Oh ya....and I only paid 6500 for a showroom perfect bike with only 1400 orig miles...none could claim that!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Interesting......I had always considered a V-Max more of a standard, not a cruiser, but I guess the definitions change. Also I am not sure what the writer meant when he described the Valkryie, that style was the original Gold Wing styling, if they still made them( not that abomination the Rune) I would have picked up a used valk, but the resale prices are too high so I got the VTX new for the same a 6 or 7 yr old Valkryie.But for the new 200 HP Max......WOW!! hope it handles better than the original, not all loose and rubbery or else that horse power will put you in trouble real fast.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What surprised me more that they compared the VTX to speed demons. What I got out of the article that the Valkyrie and VTX are the most comfortable to ride. Power? why would I need more power than what the 1800 has. Also I did get a chance to ride a V ROD when I was at Daytona 2 weeks ago and it doea have a lot of [email protected] But I will stick with my 1800 for overall usage. I think you cannot do better with bang for the buck with the Hondas

·
Registered
610 Posts
Did anyone else notice what the author had to say about the VTX? (following cut and pasted from that article)

The jacking reaction of the shaft final drive system also makes it pitch around when throttle settings are changed abruptly, and since the carburetor doesn't like to react subtly, this is often the case.

?????

Obviously he wasn't up on the "subtleties" of the 1800 :bleh:

·
Registered
7 Posts
on a personally level, whoever was riding those bike didn't know how to ride. i say that from experience. about 30 miles from house is a drag strip (the rockingham dragway, in north carolina). i had a meanstreak (tuned to perfection). i raced it more than once. i cut two vrods and three vmax asses on that bike. then again, maybe the guys i rode against didn't know how to ride......i don't know. all i know is what the bike i had would do..:)
they couldn't ride, or were unaware that a race was underway. Vmax 1200 was a solid 2 sec better in the 1/4 than your meanstreak.

·
Registered
16,633 Posts
they couldn't ride, or were unaware that a race was underway. Vmax 1200 was a solid 2 sec better in the 1/4 than your meanstreak.
12 years since last post.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did anyone else notice what the author had to say about the VTX? (following cut and pasted from that article)

The jacking reaction of the shaft final drive system also makes it pitch around when throttle settings are changed abruptly, and since the carburetor doesn't like to react subtly, this is often the case.

?????

Obviously he wasn't up on the "subtleties" of the 1800 :bleh:
Yea, show me an 1800 with a carb and I'll show my unicorn.... lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts