Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
04 Honda VTX 1300 C
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I'm starting to tear down my motorcycle to check valve clearances also because it has 23,000 and that I know of has never been done question is what does it mean adjusting from intake side and exhaust side on each of the heads? When looking at bike from driver side is the front head and the front side/left front the exhaust or intake side and same for other head

·
Super Moderator
9,928 Posts
What? Please rephrase. I do not understand what you are asking. Start with "driver side". What does this mean on a motorcycle? Then move on to better explaining this, "is the front head and the front side/left front the exhaust or intake side and same for other head."

·
Registered
04 Honda VTX 1300 C
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What? Please rephrase. I do not understand what you are asking. Start with "driver side". What does this mean on a motorcycle? Then move on to better explaining this, "is the front head and the front side/left front the exhaust or intake side and same for other head."
Just like I said, from driver side of bike looking at engine, when looking at front head I took covers off from head the big round one that's a 24 mm and opposite side of head the cap with 2 - 8 or 10 mm bolts off then you see the rockers but when adjusting valves they are saying adjust the intake side or exhaust side to specs so question is which one is what? Which is intake side and which one is exhaust side meaning which covers are considered those sides hope that explains better, and again I'm still learning all this so give me a break

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
motorcycle..

LEFT side, Right Side, from operating location.

aka no steering wheel or second seat next to operator..

the exhaust pipe is where the exhaust valve is. aka no cross travel.

you have the Honda Service manual.. it's free on this forum in the 1300 section.

·
Super Moderator
9,928 Posts
Still not the clearest question but I think I understand. There are two valve locations on each head. The exhaust valve on each head is under the round cover and there is only a single valve "rocker" and adjuster. The intake valves on each head are under the roughly rectangular cover (held in place with two bolts) and there are two valve "rockers" and adjusters - one for each intake valve.

Both the intake and exhaust valve covers have a rubber gasket on them sealing them to the engine head. Before reinstalling these covers, clean the rubber gasket and the surface to which it mates. Then put a very light coat of oil on the rubber gasket. This can be done by getting less than a single drop of oil on your finger tip and rubbing this oil onto the gasket. Then, replace the covers and tighten down the round cover or the two bolts on the rectangular cover only slightly. These are not metal to metal seals or crushing some a seal between metal surface like an exhaust gasket. Instead, you are just compressing the rubber gasket which does not take a lot of force to suitably crush and seal.

When doing the entire valve adjustment work, only remove one cover at a time to minimize the chance of dropping something into an open cover. Also, tie a string to every tool being used to adjust the valves so that when you drop it into the engine abyss, you can easily pull it out with the string. This is especially important for any sockets that you might use. Since sockets are near impossible to tie a string to, I recommend not using sockets for any of this work.

The 8 mm bolts holding the rectangular covers in place are frequently installed too tight and can be VERY hard to break loose. I recommend only using a 6-point box end wrench on these. If you do not have a 6-point box end wrench, you can use a 6-point socket but only to break these bolts loose. Once they are loose, switch to whatever wrench you have to loosen them the rest of the way. Take great care to remove these bolts and get them far away from the opening before removing the cover from its place to lessen the chance of dropping a bolt into this opening.

Hope this helps. Post if anything is not clear.

·
Registered
04 Honda VTX 1300 C
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still not the clearest question but I think I understand. There are two valve locations on each head. The exhaust valve on each head is under the round cover and there is only a single valve "rocker" and adjuster. The intake valves on each head are under the roughly rectangular cover (held in place with two bolts) and there are two valve "rockers" and adjusters - one for each intake valve.

Both the intake and exhaust valve covers have a rubber gasket on them sealing them to the engine head. Before reinstalling these covers, clean the rubber gasket and the surface to which it mates. Then put a very light coat of oil on the rubber gasket. This can be done by getting less than a single drop of oil on your finger tip and rubbing this oil onto the gasket. Then, replace the covers and tighten down the round cover or the two bolts on the rectangular cover only slightly. These are not metal to metal seals or crushing some a seal between metal surface like an exhaust gasket. Instead, you are just compressing the rubber gasket which does not take a lot of force to suitably crush and seal.

When doing the entire valve adjustment work, only remove one cover at a time to minimize the chance of dropping something into an open cover. Also, tie a string to every tool being used to adjust the valves so that when you drop it into the engine abyss, you can easily pull it out with the string. This is especially important for any sockets that you might use. Since sockets are near impossible to tie a string to, I recommend not using sockets for any of this work.

The 8 mm bolts holding the rectangular covers in place are frequently installed too tight and can be VERY hard to break loose. I recommend only using a 6-point box end wrench on these. If you do not have a 6-point box end wrench, you can use a 6-point socket but only to break these bolts loose. Once they are loose, switch to whatever wrench you have to loosen them the rest of the way. Take great care to remove these bolts and get them far away from the opening before removing the cover from its place to lessen the chance of dropping a bolt into this opening.

Hope this helps. Post if anything is not clear.
Thx ?

·
Super Moderator
9,928 Posts
Only uncover one valve cover at a time to avoid exposing the holes to the potential of dropping something inside them. Tie a string to any tools used over or around open holes. Be very careful to remove the two small bolts holding each intake valve cover in place prior to removing the cover itself.

Bottomline is - Do NOT drop anything into the valve cover openings as this will require a HUGE headache to find the dropped thing inside the engine and remove it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I just completed a valve adjustment last Saturday. For what it's worth I only had one exhaust valve out of spec by about .002. My valves had never been touched and the bike has 70,000 miles. Since I went through all the work to get in there I made sure they were all as exact as I could get them. Hopefully that is it for another 70,000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello everyone I'm starting to tear down my motorcycle to check valve clearances also because it has 23,000 and that I know of has never been done question is what does it mean adjusting from intake side and exhaust side on each of the heads? When looking at bike from driver side is the front head and the front side/left front the exhaust or intake side and same for other head
Uhmmmm, I've never heard anyone refer to one side or the other of a bike as the "driver's side"... But seeing as how the driver sits in front and the passenger sits to the rear, wouldn't the driver's side be the front of the bike? Just wondering?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts