Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just bought a 2004 VTX 1300R with 7300 miles on it. I'm loving it so far, but want to ensure that I take good care of it.

I plan on changing the oil myself, but have no experience with valve adjustment. Can any of you direct me to a good "how to" online that is great for first-timers so I don't, um, break anything?

Lastly, I've removed the back seat, sissy bar, and luggage rack for looks mostly while I don't have anyone on the back, but I've got awkward holes in the fender now and the bolts that held on the accessories are really too long to plug them. (Plus the brace under the fender vibrates in their absence)

So, what do you do? Are there aftermarket chrome "plug" type bolts you can fill these holes with when you accessories are off or what? I'm not sure what to do, but it would look better and probably stop that vibration if I could run a shorter bolt through the holes on the fender and sides.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I'd consider going to Ace Hardware or some other hardward stores and buy some shorter metric chrome bolts. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hey madphill
Go to the 1300 forum page and you will find a sticky on the 1300 owners manual that you can download and then print. I did a valve adjustment this last weekend using the manual and it wasn't very hard at all.
The trick is getting the fealer gauge in, just take your time and it will be great.
You do have to be a little mechanically inclined to do this job (not saying you not)
but if you have never done any type of mechanic work this could be a little tricky for you.
I would first look at downloading the manual.
Ride Safe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweetness! Thanks, y'all. I'm downloading the manual now and will dig through that tutorial too.

I was told to just hit up a hardware store to plug those holes with some decorative bolts (by a "Harley Guy")?

Does that sound ghetto or about right to you guys?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts