Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I open her up, am I going to need the special Valve Adjustment Wrench.

Can I get in there with a box end wrench and avoid the extra expense of buying a special tool.

:hmm2:

·
Registered
706 Posts
The rockers are easily accessable with standard wrenches. The 4mm square end on the adjustor can be secured with a 3" adjustable end wrench.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You Do need a deep drop box end 10mm for retightening the valve adjuster lock nut. I did my valves for the first time about a month ago and had to run to sears to get the tool. The 4 mm box wrench i had from a package of metric ignition wrench tools, although i have seen many posters writing on where to find the 4 mm box wrench also.
Good luck, it's a challenge the first time
but will be much easier afterwards. Take your time.
Bry

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
another thought

Does anyone have a step by step on this site as to how to do it. I have done lots of valve adjustments, but at 63, a little reminder might be a good idea.

I have the intake/exhaust specs. I assume there is not special order to do the two intakes and the one exhaust per head.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
The rockers are easily accessable with standard wrenches. The 4mm square end on the adjustor can be secured with a 3" adjustable end wrench.
Also, if you have a dremel, you can make a 4mm out of a small piece of metal. One of those cheap little throwaway 1/16 inch thick wrenches that comes with various "put it together yourself" furniture or desk kits works well. Just make your 4mm cutout at the handle end. Drill hole at other end and tie a long piece of string.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Also, if you have a dremel, you can make a 4mm out of a small piece of metal. One of those cheap little throwaway 1/16 inch thick wrenches that comes with various "put it together yourself" furniture or desk kits works well. Just make your 4mm cutout at the handle end. Drill hole at other end and tie a long piece of string.
Great idea, im gonna look in our junk draw for one of them, my wife always saves them.

·
Miles: 50,000+
7,104 Posts
Box wrenches and a 4 mm will work, but the tappet tools will sure aleviate a lot of headaches for you.

At least it did for me. I hate messing around with so many tools in an already cramped space.

My suggestion is to give it a shot with a 10 mm and a 4 mm and see how well it works for you. The bottom line is, how much is your time and frustraction worth? Another thing to keep in mind is the amount of money you are saving by doing your own adjustment. In my opinipnn that is $30-$40 is a great investment for the time, energy and frustration it saved me.

Here is what I got:

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0073/

I actually ordered them from BikeBandit.com and saved about $5.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hi M-2, those tools from motion pro were my backup plan in case i wasnt able to do it with the box wrenches. I did worry tho about the motion pro tools maybe being a little too bulky for the tight spaces. Did you have any problems with say maybe the front exhaust valve or the rear intake??
Bry
:patriot:

·
Miles: 50,000+
7,104 Posts
Hi M-2, those tools from motion pro were my backup plan in case i wasnt able to do it with the box wrenches. I did worry tho about the motion pro tools maybe being a little too bulky for the tight spaces. Did you have any problems with say maybe the front exhaust valve or the rear intake??
Bry
:patriot:
Nope. But, the 1800 guys will have have issues on the rear exhaust valve, it just won't fit for them. It is a little tight on the rear exhaust for the 1300, but still worked 100 times easier for me, rather than fiddling with 2 wrenches in that tight space, I only had one wrench. Like the problem you incountered, the hoses and wires are in the way. Just need to move those out of the way regardless of what tools you use anyway. I find it so much easier to hold the spec with these tappet style wrenches.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, done and only the rear jug's exhaust was .013 instead of .012. Adjusted that one and put it all back together and sounds the same: WHEEERRRR, TAPPPP, CLICKKK, JUST LIKE AN OLD SINGER

Too darn much work for just my piece of mind. Everyone on here said they sound that way, but NOOOOOOOO, I had to spend 2 hours just to verify they are all right.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just my simple tool box stuff. Had everything in metric except the 4mm wrench and for that I used a minature cresent wrech that you see as a key chain. Only about 3 inch long opens up to about 1/2 inch. No special tools at all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Valve Adjustment

I used 4 framing nails and a dremil to grind the 4mm square.Then bend each nail to the angle to hold the tappet works great

1 - 17 of 17 Posts