Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Slightly Bent
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '07 1300C with 15000 miles on it, all of them mine. I've done most of the work on it myself (all oil changes, tire removals, mods work), but never felt comfortable checking the valves, much less doing adjustments if I found they needed it. I know you can't listen to them to gauge their health, but my bike has always run fine and makes plenty of "clackety clack" (yes, that's a scientific term) noises like I've read that it should. My questions: Have I done any harm to my bike by not checking myself or having someone else check them? Should I make this the next thing I do to it without hesitation? Don't beat me up too bad...I guess I just have valve-intimidation-itis.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
what Gonzo said:mosh: although your valves are making noise, if two of the six valves or only one of them burn out by being too tight you will be in for a large expense which could include camshafts also. With the available help on this forum, practically anyone can adjust the valves on their own bike.
Bry :choppersm

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
We won't beat you up to awful bad, everyone has "valve-intimidation-itis" the first time around. But truthfully once your in there it really isn't as bad as you fear it will be. And as said above there's plenty of help on hand here if you get in a bind on it.
At 15,000 you probably haven't done any serious damage but it sure wouldn't hurt to know for sure what all 6 are set at, I did mine at 1000 miles and all of my exhaust valves were to tight by about .02 an it's about due to go back in and check them again

Like Gonz said, some people have had great luck and say they've never needed to adjust theirs, but most have because they get tighter as they break in & wear at the valve seat.

Here's the link I used and it made it pretty simple.
http://vtx1300tips.com/Valveadjustingbypoision.pdf

·
Slightly Bent
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Guess I'll buck up and just do it. Hoping for the Best...Preparing for the worst.......

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Just take your time the first time & double check everything. The link doug posted by poison, is the reference I use each time I do it. I've done it 4 times, so far, I've adjusted twice.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I did mine last week, with the bigest frustration being getting the feeler guage to line up. You have very little room on any of the valves to work with. You need a bent feeler guage, a box end 10mm and open square end 4mm wrench to do the job along with normal metrics to tear down and put the bike back together. If your patient, you can do it with a manuel or the instruction step by step found on this site.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Just take your time and be sure to tie a tag line to the smaller items (4mm wrench I think and guages if using small ones). I dropped the wrench in with the valves the last time and wasn't sure what to do at that point. With help and advise from here, I was able to solve my problem. Just go at it slow and methodically, and if you have problems, people here will help.

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Hey Gonz,
Pardon my ignorance, but just how do those wrenches work? Does it hold the 4mm in position while the 10mm part allows you to tighten up the nut?
Thanks
Thats exactly what it does. I actually had one from my days as a honda mechanic back in 1975, but couldnt use it because back then the top of the adjuster screw was just like a common screw, not a 4 mm square. I was bummed out when i couldnt use it on my X :mad:
Bry :patriot:

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
I've still been puttin this off too. Going to do it over the X-mas break hopefully... you'll have to let me know how it goes for you as well.

(I'm at 13.5k)

Mort

·
Slightly Bent
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all who replied and/or posted links. It's obvious there's a bunch of good info out there, and even more swimmin' around in the heads of the excellent folks who post here. Thanks again to Donut for the PM, too. I, also, will be jumping in over the holiday break, Mort...and I will definitely post how it goes. Thanks again to all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts