Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
aka The Rev
1,854 Posts
Well AL would be the last state to take up this law. They are the last state in just about everything else. Anyways as already been said there is just as many loud redneck trucks and cars.

·
Registered
446 Posts
MtnCruiser- Would you share with the rest of us how you made the baffles. I assume that when you cut out the baffles with the whole saw you modified it so it could be put back in. Would you care to share how you did it and provide pics of the finished product. Thats sneaky- I like it!!!
I used an 1 3/4" to 3/4" pipe bushing and a pipe nipple. I had to grind the hex portion off the bushing so that it would slide up into the pipe. I drilled and tapped a hole in the bushing and drilled a hole in the bottom of the exhaust. All I have to do is slide the bushing into the pipe and bolt it in. I have a 2008 1300T so it has the tapered pipes. You could do the same thing with the larger pipes but you would have to fab up a plate. I thought of the bushing idea because I needed to make the baffles quickly and I didn't have access to a welder at the time. I tought that I had taken pictures of the baffles but I can't find them. I have misplaced my digital camera, I'll find it and take some pics later this week.

·
The Notorious B.I.G. Jim
1,074 Posts
I have aftermarket pipes and, like most of us, enjoy some volume and rumble. That said, ask your rider friends with straight pipes (or other over-the-top exhausts), and those that love to rev it up in residential areas, how they like this encroachment of their 'rights' as motorcyclists. When they are finished ranting, thank them for doing their part to bring it down on all of us. I completely agree that it's unfair to target just motocycles. But ask yourself why so many states are doing just that!! It's no coincidence.

Personally, I don't buy the 'loud pipes saves lives' argument, but to each his own. Riding like you're invisible saves lives. Nobody likes their peace disturbed whether it's while you're grilling in the back yard, relaxing in a hammock, putting the baby down for a nap, or trying to sleep because you have a night job. Respecting the rights of others goes both ways. Even with the so-called "quiet baffles", my V&H Big Shots are plenty loud when I crack the throttle. But when I come home late at night I can ease into the neighborhood quietly just by taking it easy. A little common sense is all that's needed.

Soap box mode <off>. Let the flaming begin.

Buda_Jim
:cool:

·
Anybody seen my brain?
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
For the record, I have stock pipes with the Clayton mod. I don't know, it's been many, many moons since I did any noise measurement but I think they will still meet the standard. I don't like bikes being targeted as the only source of noise on the highway. I think it's inevitable that there will be a crack down on noise. It just needs to be across the board for all motor vehicles. Maybe I'm paranoid but I'm afraid that some areas may be trying to use this type of legislation for something other than noise control.

·
Anybody seen my brain?
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just got this reply from Va. State Senator Edwards:

"Thank you for your email to Senator Edwards regarding Senate Bill 933 which
would require motorcycles use a muffler system in good working order that
meets federal standards.

Senate Bill 933 was defeated in the Senate Committee on Transportation.
Senator Edwards opposed this bill, but since he is not on the
Transportation Committee, he did not have an opportunity to vote on SB 933."

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
11 Participants
wanderingbear
Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum
VTX Cafe Forum is for owners of Honda VTX 1300 or VTX 1800. Join this community to discuss mods, specs, parts & more!
Full Forum Listing