Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago I posted about a teeth chattering vibration. I had a wobble in the front and a sway in the rear end. First I replaced the front tire, less front end wobble, still had vibration. Replaced plugs and installed Glens A/F tool just in case I need to make adjustment. Next, replaced the steering neck bearings and fork oil with 7.5 W. Wow! What a difference in the way it handled, the front end wobble was gone and the steering was nice and tight not sloppy. But this made the rear end sway feel like I was driving on ice, almost too the point it was scary to drive. So the next day replaced the rear shock bushings. Again Wow! This got rid of the rear end sway. Now the front and rear are nice and tight, feels like a new bike. But I still have the vibration :hmm2:, so the next things I was going to try is check the valves to make sure they are not too tight (not sure if that would make it vibrate, but they should be checked anyway) and replace the rear tire. It might be a month or 2 before I can do the work, just had shoulder surgery a couple of days ago so will be laid up for a while. I wanted to thank everybody on this great forum; I wouldn’t have been able to do some of this work without all our help. Have a Merry Christmas.
Gizmo :cheers:

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Can you elaborate on the vibration?

I mean, is it... "Cant see your hand clearly" vibration? "Cant see our your rear view mirror clearly?" vibration?

-Gonz

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I first purchased the bike it had about 6500 miles on it. Within about another 1000 miles it started to vibrate. At first just intermittently but now it most of the time. Defiantly more noticeable at highway speeds. I can pull the clutch in and still feel a vibration. The vibration is enough to make my teeth chatter. The stealership said that the back tire has a little cupping to it, so that why I think I will replace it next.

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
When the vibration smooths out on pulling clutch in, I feel you can remove the engine from the equation. Does seem like wheel wear or balance. Hope it is minor.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Vibration can sometimes be from tire not being balanced. I had same problem with rear tire when weight fell off one of the spokes. It would vibrate really bad at around 50-60mph. Vibration can also come from bad plug, exhaust leak etc..but that would go away when the clutch is pulled in at speed. Sounds like tire issue cupped or not balanced.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
If the back tire is cupping, then yeah... replace it.

Ever thought about the Dark Side? I hear they have cookies.

-Gonz

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have not thought about going to the dark side, are there any benefits in doing this, and what needs to be changed to do so. I might be interested.
I am running 38 in the front and 40 in the rear.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
I have not thought about going to the dark side, are there any benefits in doing this, and what needs to be changed to do so. I might be interested.
A 205/65/15 or 205/70/15 will fit with no mods, with the S (spokes) it is best to seal the rim there are a few tips on how to do it on here.

I have close to or over 30,000 miles on my Michelin Hydroedge with no problems at all, better stopping better in the rain and holds like glue when I scrape the floorboards in the mountains.

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
:stirpot:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts