Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I accelerate from 50 to 70 mph in order to shift into 5th it has a vibration but smooths out after the acceleration is over This is on a 2002C and I don't know if this is normal? Kind of reminds me of the old 85 Heritige Classic which was a real shaker. No rubber engine mounts like the EVO

·
Sarge
643 Posts
The vibration you feel sounds normal to me. Your are in 4th at 50 right? Some of us would downshift to 3rd if we want to run up to 70 from there...less vibration if you do....These bikes have so much power....Gotta love the T(orque) in VTX!!!

·
Registered
743 Posts
50 in fourth is pretty low for RPMs. You can expect vibration if you crank the throttle from there. Run it to 70 slowly, then shift, or, as suggested, kick it down a gear.

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
Yep, I shift into 5th at about 70.Much lower than that, and the bike lugs until you get the rpm's up.

Rebel

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 2003 does the same thing. I have a heck of a time running with the wife on her 1300. She is cruising nicely and I am trying to catch gears to make the bike run well. There is a vibration area between 45-60 if Im in 5th.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
It doesn't hurt it any at all to rev it up between shifts, but there's really no reason why you have to wind it up that high just to upshift. If you get the tune right you can be in traffic in 5th gear and drop down to 30mph and then just roll on the throttle and jump it right back up to 70mph with no extra vibration other than what any V-twin will give you.

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
Yep, I shift into 5th at about 70.Much lower than that, and the bike lugs until you get the rpm's up.

Rebel

That's a bit pushing it ;) 70mph for 5th gear?

Normally I can hit 5th comfortably at around 50mph with no problem or lugging... now if I crank the throttle there'll be a bit there, and would downshift to raise speed quickly without said vibration, but I hang out in those higher gears all the time while cruising to keep those rpm's down... save on gas, but it shouldn't be 'lugging' while cruising.

Mort

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
That's a bit pushing it ;) 70mph for 5th gear?

Normally I can hit 5th comfortably at around 50mph with no problem or lugging... now if I crank the throttle there'll be a bit there, and would downshift to raise speed quickly without said vibration, but I hang out in those higher gears all the time while cruising to keep those rpm's down... save on gas, but it shouldn't be 'lugging' while cruising.

Mort
Mort, I'm 6'4" and 320lbs. It just takes a bit more rpm's to accelerate my fat ass.:D

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
Mort, I'm 6'4" and 320lbs. It just takes a bit more rpm's to accelerate my fat ass.:D
Touche capi-tan. :)

5'6" and 180lbs... I feel like my X wonders if 'I'm in' sometimes ;)

Mort:cheers:

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
i am gonna report this thread to the proper authorities for false advertising and the misleading title...think i am gonna report mort (hey, a rhyme) for not saying anything about it either...:spank:

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
i am gonna report this thread to the proper authorities for false advertising and the misleading title...think i am gonna report mort (hey, a rhyme) for not saying anything about it either...:spank:

Lol... I may have, if the thread was a FOR SALE: thread... ;)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I thought that was what the rev limiter was for, a shift indicator. Dang, I've been doing wrong for a while. Might explain my gas mileage too...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts