Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought Viking saddle bags for my VTX1300R. These are pretty nice bags, especially for the price. I like them quite a bit but they do have a problem: The snap rivet that secures the flap in the rear came broken off. Shortly thereafter, the snap rivet that secures one of the buckles broke off.

I called the company and asked for replacement snap rivets. I'm willing to do the repair myself, no problem. They said they would send them right away. This was 6 weeks ago. I have called every week now for six weeks and they keep promising that they will mail them the next day. It is not a case of them being lost in the mail, they just can't seem to motivate themselves to mail them.

I asked if they build the bags themselves and they said 'yes', so it should not be a matter of them just being a retailer and really not having the parts. I've never really had trouble reaching them and they've always been friendly enough, I just can't get the service I'm looking for! Incidently, it is always the same guy that answers, so I can't help but wonder if this is a one or few person operation.

Anyway, as a last resort, I have decided to dispute the charges for the bags on my Visa. I explained the situation to Visa and they tell me this is the way to fix the problem. $300+ for a couple of snap rivets should get their attention and hopefully they will send them.

Other Viking Bag reviews have indicated issues with their service department. I was hoping to avoid that but I now see that I should have heeded the advice out there: BUYER BEWARE!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Anyway, as a last resort, I have decided to dispute the charges for the bags on my Visa. I explained the situation to Visa and they tell me this is the way to fix the problem. $300+ for a couple of snap rivets should get their attention and hopefully they will send them.
Bet your glad you used a Credit Card, seems like the proper way to handle it given the circumstances....

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. Visa/MC actually do a good job of backing up purchases when trouble arises. I always use a card for electronic, high dollar, and all internet purchases. It's like free insurance, especially when you pay the card off every month.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
780 Posts
Good for you and nice to have Visa. Nothing like Visa stopping pay on a 300$ bill over .02 cents worth of rivets. Frankly at this point you should send the shoddy merchandise back and and ask for a full refund.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Still have the rivet that fell off sittin' on my desk... any day now...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
Interestingly, you probably read my review. I have viking bags on my VTX1300R. I, however, have not expiereced the construction problems that you describe. I'm glad for me, sorry for you. :confused: :)

Nevertheless, keep pushing on them. I truly believe that they want to help, I just think that the company isn't coordinated when it comes to dealing with customer issues or out-of-band type requests. They really should check out RightNow CX (RightNow.com -- hint, hint Viking Bags).

Any, the CC charge is a good idea. The product is below par and I'm glad Visa can help you with that.

To future potential buyers, I honestly can't imagine I'd buy anything from them again. While their product is fine, they really are customer-service challenged.

·
Geezer Glider
3,703 Posts
I had Vikings bags on mine, more than over stuffed them on a ride to Michigan, they held up fine. i only go them for the price, I wanted hardbags but didn't have the $$$ when I got the bike. now I have the nice hardbags. so i have a pair that might be for sale lol.

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
I had Vikings bags on mine, more than over stuffed them on a ride to Michigan, they held up fine. i only go them for the price, I wanted hardbags but didn't have the $$$ when I got the bike. now I have the nice hardbags. so i have a pair that might be for sale lol.
I wanted hardbags too but opted for Viking because of the price and the fact that they were hard mount. The are decent bags for the price considering they are hard mount.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I haven't heard anything yet about the Visa dispute I put on the bags, but I did get an email from them today asking me to submit 10 pictures of my bike with their bags on them to be used on their website! I presume this is for advertising their product. Should I include pictures of the broken snaps? ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
I haven't heard anything yet about the Visa dispute I put on the bags, but I did get an email from them today asking me to submit 10 pictures of my bike with their bags on them to be used on their website! I presume this is for advertising their product. Should I include pictures of the broken snaps? ;)
Posted via Mobile Device
lol, that is funny. This is actually a very good example of the lack of coordination that they appear to have. You have a pending issue and yet they want you to submit pictures for their advertisement. I'd say it's safe to assume that they are not looking for pictures of the broken product.

I submitted the pictures. It's really a lot of work and they give you a rather bad bag in return. I can't even use it...

·
Senior Linux Advocate
600 Posts
I emailed them at [email protected] about rivets
Here is their reply
Maybe you should give us your order number and then email them saying "send the rivets" or some such message. Not sure they'd like that. :icon_dizz lol. :biggrin::icon_lol:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Posted via Mobile Device
lol good idea

1 - 17 of 17 Posts