Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ordered bags from www.vikingbags.com ? Anyone have any reviews (good or bad)?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Viking bags

I was very apprehensive about buying these viking bags because of some things I had read about the cutomer service. I went ahead and took a chance. I ordered mine on sunday night and they were delivered the very next thursday, two weeks ago. I am very happpy with the bags. I had to buy some longer bolts, and the holes were not pre drilled. Took a little longer to mount then anticipated, but once done, I was very happy . I have only had for two weeks though, but so far so good....:choppersm

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are the bags easy to remove and re-attach. If not, anyone have a suggestion on bags that can be easily removed and re-installed relatively easily, without having to leave ugly brackets on the bike when the bags are no on?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ordered sadddle bags from viking bags 2 weeks and received them with in time, customer service was good and they replied all my questions, bags are also well made.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was very apprehensive about buying these viking bags because of some things I had read about the cutomer service. I went ahead and took a chance. I ordered mine on sunday night and they were delivered the very next thursday, two weeks ago. I am very happpy with the bags. I had to buy some longer bolts, and the holes were not pre drilled. Took a little longer to mount then anticipated, but once done, I was very happy . I have only had for two weeks though, but so far so good....:choppersm
Hello.
I was considering the Viking bags. I read your post, and I am wondering if you are still happy with the bags.
Did you install them yourself without a problem?
Do they clear the mufflers (I see you have the stock setup, as I do)?
Any problems or recommendations?
Can you send me a photo or two of the completed install?
Thanks for your reply. Ray [email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
about saddlebags

Hi Bro, yes i was in the sate of mind as you are before getting bags. I am satisfied with bags the price is reasonable. Check out website for pictures of installed bags and they do clear also call them and inquire more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Saddlebags

Thank you for your reply, I will be in touch with the manufacturer. Ray

·
Registered
4 Posts
Purchased the Viking Bags

I ordered the Viking Bags and brackets from the Internet.
http://www.vikingbags.com/motorcycle-saddlebags-honda-vtx-632-prd1.html
I spoke to Alamdar, provided my Visa card, and had the bags delivered to
"The Motorcycle Service Shop" in Mesa AZ.
The proper bags were sent and received within 3 days. Delivery cost was about $25 from California to Mesa.
I flew to Arizona, and brought my bike to the shop, where Dale Benstine spent over 2 hours drilling, positioning, and getting the proper hardware to mount the bags. He remarked that the bolts for the bags and the brackets were too short ( appears to be a common problem) and that the welds on the little mounting bracket were pretty poor, so I should take care not to put too much of a load on the bags. Sure, you get what you pay for. Thankfully, I left the install to someone experienced with this sort of thing, as I was just passing thru Arizona. I didnt have the inclination or the tools to do this myself.
I made it back home 5 days later, no problems with the bags. I am happy with the closures on the bags, and the bags themselves. The install was very well done.They look good and for the price (half of the Honda bags) they are perfectly adequate. I would recommend them as a reasonably priced product. Be prepared to substitute mounting hardware during the installation. Ray

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a set of Viking bags for sale, had them on my bike about four months

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just received my Viking Bags today, THey were delivered in just over a week, pretty fast delivery to Canada from the states. They look good and seem to be well made. I haven't installed yet, but holding them upo against the bike, the bags have cut outs for the brake calipers and the shocks, I think they will fit well. Does anyone know what thread and length of bolt I need to buy now for them to fit on my bike? (2008 VTX 1300R)

I ordered the Viking Bags and brackets from the Internet.
http://www.vikingbags.com/motorcycle-saddlebags-honda-vtx-632-prd1.html
I spoke to Alamdar, provided my Visa card, and had the bags delivered to
"The Motorcycle Service Shop" in Mesa AZ.
The proper bags were sent and received within 3 days. Delivery cost was about $25 from California to Mesa.
I flew to Arizona, and brought my bike to the shop, where Dale Benstine spent over 2 hours drilling, positioning, and getting the proper hardware to mount the bags. He remarked that the bolts for the bags and the brackets were too short ( appears to be a common problem) and that the welds on the little mounting bracket were pretty poor, so I should take care not to put too much of a load on the bags. Sure, you get what you pay for. Thankfully, I left the install to someone experienced with this sort of thing, as I was just passing thru Arizona. I didnt have the inclination or the tools to do this myself.
I made it back home 5 days later, no problems with the bags. I am happy with the closures on the bags, and the bags themselves. The install was very well done.They look good and for the price (half of the Honda bags) they are perfectly adequate. I would recommend them as a reasonably priced product. Be prepared to substitute mounting hardware during the installation. Ray
Actually when I opened the packaging on the brackets the welds on them were the first thing I noticed (As I am a Welding Inspector), they are not very good at all. But these things were probably welded by an 8 year old girl in Pakastan! I may fabricate something up myself with a little bigger Stainless Roundbar, and TIG weld the joints.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Viking Bags

I Have A Set Of Viking Bags On My 2003 1800R I Had To Buy 4 New Bolts Each 1.5 To 2 Inches Longer Than The Factory Bolts In The Rear Fender I Also Used Rubber Shock Bushings Between The Bags And The Chrome Rail On Either Side Of The Bike Most Automotive Stores Sell Them And They ill Slide Over The Bolts With Ease And When You Tighten The Bolt They Crush To Half Of Their Thickness It Keeps The Bag From Hitting On The Rear Brake Caliper Hope This Helps :choppersm

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am interested in the vtx specific model but my F is not listed. Anyone know if they would fit. Emailed them but I am sure they will say they haven't tested that model.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I fugure the best way is to find a model that is listed, and compare your bike to the model that is listed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the idea. I would but there is only one honda dealer in the area that has one in stock is a 1300T. So that is out. So my only hope is someone on this forum knows the differences between the models. Thanks again!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Viking Bags

I have Viking bags. Mine came with the top hole marked for easy locating. I had to drill holes which wasn't that hard. As for the bolts, if you added things such as a back rest or something that changes the length of bolts you need. I measured my original and purchased several longer lengths when I added my back rest. I like the bags as they are made to fit. I have since changed my mufflers and now have more room. So I want bigger bags. I might go to Hard. Have not decided yet.:patriot:

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
I just installed Viking bags a few days ago (9/12/09). I like the bags, but very flimsy mounting brackets. They have to mounted with bolts into the fender which means you have remove bolts to remove bags. I Purchased and installed E-Z brackets which cost another $150.00 +- $10.00. There are 3 straps and one snap on each bag that has to be opened and closed each time you enter the bags. I have better than $450.00 plus my labor in these bags (installation E-Z). I use to have "hard bags" on my old ride and liked a lot better, push one button and open. I paid $150.00 for mounting brackets and $600.00 for the hard bags, but that was back when I was working and had a little wild money. I was going to send you a few pictures, but the site couldn't process at this time. Will attempt to do so a little later. Wishing you a nice day.

Top-pix of two most rear bolts removed and replaced with mounting post (remove one bolt at a time).
2nd-pix of E-Z bracket locked to mounting posts.
3rd-pix of Vikings bags on "Pretty Boy".
The key to mounting E-Z brackets is to assure grooves in posts are aligned (same distance from fender rail, should be able to lay straight edge in grooves).

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
I hope you get 4 different pictures because that is what I am sending, if the little green men in this "puter" leaves them along. Wishing you a nice day.

I don't know why, but the front view of ride isn't coming through.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Sorry, I don't see any photo's. Those little green men kept them all. Had a wonderful day, went on a poker run with my legion riders and I won first place. Had a king high heart flush.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts