Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My speedometer/ odometer just quit working. It will occasionally start working erratically then quit again. Checked all wiring I could and seemed fine. I am now gonna try replacing the vss I have one on order should be here in 10-14 days. Anyone replace one of these how difficult is it. I have any and every tool I will probably need if I don't I will buy it. Am fairly competent at repairing my own equipment just looking for any tips tricks or experiences you all may have for me. Or any specialty tools needed. Like I said if it is something I don't have I will get one before I start the job. Thanks in advance for any responses given to assist me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
10,203 Posts
As silly as it sounds, do three things before installing a new part. 1) fully charge the battery and have it 100 amp load tested at a chain autoparts store. 2) Remove any corrosion and tighten the battery terminals with a wrench or socket not a screwdriver. 3) Double check the connections at the connectors in the two green wires leading to the dashboard. Clean any corrosion, apply dielectric grease and firmly reseat.

All three of these have caused speedo/odo problems for various people in the past.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As silly as it sounds, do three things before installing a new part. 1) fully charge the battery and have it 100 amp load tested at a chain autoparts store. 2) Remove any corrosion and tighten the battery terminals with a wrench or socket not a screwdriver. 3) Double check the connections at the connectors in the two green wires leading to the dashboard. Clean any corrosion, apply dielectric grease and firmly reseat.

All three of these have caused speedo/odo problems for various people in the past.
Thank you I charged and load tested. but I did not check the connections on the dash. I just checked the wires for cuts tears bare spots or breaks. I will be checking the connectors now thank you again for the advice.

·
Registered
2007 1300C
510 Posts
Those two green wires he is talking about are actually 2 green connectors, they are in a boot tucked under the tank on the right side, you can get to them without removing the tank.

Reactions: motox369

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those two green wires he is talking about are actually 2 green connectors, they are in a boot tucked under the tank on the right side, you can get to them without removing the tank.
Thank you I was able to find them after reading your reply

·
Super Moderator
10,203 Posts
Oops. Sorry about that. I meant the green connectors not green wires. My bad but am glad you found them.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Those connectors are garbage considering they are made to be connected/disconnected many times over the life of the bike. My speedo was acting up and it was those connectors. The odometer kept resetting and I use that to monitor my fuel consumption.
They are a pain to install new ones in my opinion. I just soldered the wires together and have no problems now. Just need to take off the cover on the tank when removing the tank now which is a quick easy task.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,649 Posts
Some have replaced with better quality connector. If you follow the old tank removal guide on here you never mess with those connectors. Just asking for trouble disconnecting it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had to change the speed sensor last winter and it is simple but u have to lay under it and move your coolant reservoir, once you get to it, its 2 screws on both ends and replacing your reservoir to where it belongs. I did all the other things others said to do first and it didn't work either(it worked erratically) make sure you get the Honda sensor, the universal one didn't bolt up as easy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally replaced it yesterday. Was easier than I was worried it would be. One thing I found that made it easier was I got a 10mm short swivel socket 1/4 inch drive. When i took it off I used a socket hooked to a swivel and barely had enough clearance. Bought the swivel socket which was shorter and it made it easier.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts