Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

501 - 520 of 542 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ended up going with the stock parts for my X. I changed out the needle, the main jet, and the pilot jet. I kept the dynojet spring though. After taking it on a test ride, it ran great with the stock parts at 2.5 turns out! No coughing or choking at 1/4 throttle. This forum has been very helpful and saved me a few hundred dollars at the dealership or a local shop!

Just incase anyone needs the stock parts, here are the Honda part #s.
16050-MEA-671 SPRING
16012-MEM-671 Needle
99101-393-1950 JET, MAIN (#195)
99103-MEA-0550 JET, SLOW (#55)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello everyone - I'm new to this web site but I do have a question that I hope someone can help with.
I have a 2005 VTX 1300R with V&H pipes installed by the previous owner. I just bought a "spike" air cleaner kit and have been reading up on installing it. I'm good with removing the PAIR box and hoses, but my question is, "Do I need to do a needle valve job on the carbs, or was that done with the pipes and should work with the new air cleaner?"

Any help you can give would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Hello everyone - I'm new to this web site but I do have a question that I hope someone can help with.
I have a 2005 VTX 1300R with V&H pipes installed by the previous owner. I just bought a "spike" air cleaner kit and have been reading up on installing it. I'm good with removing the PAIR box and hoses, but my question is, "Do I need to do a needle valve job on the carbs, or was that done with the pipes and should work with the new air cleaner?"

Any help you can give would be great.

Thanks
Carb has to be tuned to the intake not the pipes so yes you will need to put new jets in and reset the needle position.
Factory pro stage 3 kit is your best bet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Don - Thanks for all the info. Man, that made it so much easier. I stripped the PAIR system, ran the bike for a day or two then Installed the Factory Pro stage 3 kit and the Ebay Spike kit. I set the A/F at just between 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 and took off. Bike ran great. Thanks again for all the work it took to post all that info.

Roger

·
LAVA2008
8 Posts
1. VTX 1300 Carburetor Adjustment

I just whant to thank you, you took the time time to explain the procedure about how to adjust the carbs, no to many people will do this and for that I take my hat off and salude you. Thank you very much, LAVA2008, (Pardon if I mist spell some words)

·
LAVA2008
8 Posts
I have to reply one more time. Don, if this is your name, I have to say thank you very much one more time. I did follow every detail of your instruction on the Carbs Adustment and it works perfect to my 2007 vtx1300r. I have installed a Samson [Shogun] Pipes, there are awesome, at this point the bike was working very good, not completed 100% bus was ok, then I installed a Arlen Ness air cleaner kit/big socker and thats was when my real problems start. The bike choke when try to take of, back fire, the idle was not right at tha point I use the Dino Jet, but did not work, I tried to adjust the air using the mixture screw using the setting provide, did not work neither. I was going crazy. I pull the gas tank so many times that I can get it off and put it back with my eyes close. Until I read your instruction here, took me about 15 - 20 minutes to do it and one extra adjustment to the mixture screw and that did it. The Bike runs like a champ, such more power and sound like a hunger Lion. It is rare to fine people to care for others, THANK YOU VERY MUCH. LAVA2008

·
Registered
2 Posts
Scar
Your a bad dude I've been fighting my 1300R for about a year
with a cobra kit, changed to your method and cured all my
problems.
Thanks again

·
Registered
18 Posts
I finally toer into the bike last night. I did the pair mod and rejetted with the Factory Pro. Put in the 215 main and the 58 pilot, 2 turns out on the A/F. I also did a decap on the stock box with a K&N filter. It started up and I didn't have to use the choke was the first thing I noticed. I got out and rode today to check everything out and all I can say is wow! It pulled strong through all the gears. 2nd gear at 45 all the way to 80 before I shifted and it was pulling strong. 50 in 4th worked well too and did not stutter or bog down. I have cobra slash downs on the bike to go with all the mods.
Thanks to everyone who has posted. I was very well informed before I even started.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Scar.
Great write up for a wanna be tuner. I purchased my bike last Thanksgiving it had a set of Cobra dragsters on it performance was crap lots of hesitation, i thought it probably just needs the carb cleaned. Not.... I ordered the Factory Pro and followed your directions and now it runs great.
Set up
215 main
58 pilot
Needle 4th position
2 turns out on AF
De cap with K&N

·
Registered
98 Posts
bak breather, corbra slips ons , had dj 195 and fp1.. changed to fp3 = 220, 58, 1 7/8-2 turns, 4 clip with spacer, 2nd gear to limiter [email protected]@king fast , ran 4th clip at 50 mph 4 gear some bog added spacer less bog for now still testing , will continue to ride some more ..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Puttin in my thanks to scar for the mod.
I bought an 04’ back in November. It had, has around 2800miles.
The first thing I noticed was the off idle shutter. I boughtthe a/f tool and cleaned the carb out. Ran better but still had a slight offidle shutter.
It got so annoying that I thought about selling the bike. Iran across this mod and attempted it today.
I now have no off idle shutter at all. I can now do a lowspeed turn without pulling in the clutch.
For the record my bike is totally stock. I added 2 washersas per the scar mod.

·
Tinkerer
1,714 Posts
I went to my local Radio Shack today, and they aren't selling any washers there. Does anyone know of an alternate shim source?

·
Registered
327 Posts
It is a #4. I had to trim mine down to fit the pocket in the slide valve, and open the hole just a bit. I also used a wet stone to make shims of different thinkness'. Eg. .015,.030 ect. I had a hard time finding them @ Radio Shack also.

·
Very good VTX NOW
97 Posts
Hello there
For a long time I did not come on the forum. I'm sorry

2 years since my 1300 vtx has a problem and I can not find the solution.
Everything is original on the VTX
I have to put the choke when the engine is cold and I have to leave 20 minutes, even while driving. If I remove the VTX not advance

I disassembled and cleaned the carburetor but it's always the same

501 - 520 of 542 Posts