Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Tom, I’m new to this forum; I have a 2005 VTX 1300 C with 4000 miles on it. Just purchased it this April to it to the dealer they changed all the fluids and inspected in it. They said everything was great. So I took it out for a few rides and to commute to work, nothing more than 20miles. Just recently I went on a few longer runs between 60 to 100 miles, and that’s when the problem started. I seem anytime when I ride over 40 miles and then come to a stop the engine shuts off, but it will start right up and go for awhile but then I’d come to another stop the bike would shut down. For the life of me I can’t figure it out. The bike runs great when I’m cruising but after I ride it for awhile it just shuts down at stops but starts right back up. I don’t think it’s over heating because the light doesn’t pop on and the fan works. Can anyone help me out maybe point me in a direction.

·
Panic tested/Wife approvd
37 Posts
My '09 1300R started cutting out yesterday. Everytime I'd come to a light, it'd quit. Starting it with the throttle slightly open got it going again - gonna go adjust the idle screw while running around today! Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
452 Posts
could be running just a bit lean too if the dealer had their hands on it.

A/F screw needs to be around 2 full turns open from lightly seated position.
When mine was too lean, it back-fired like crazy when I decelerated. Even if I blipped the throttle in neutral.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
When setting the idle on a 1300 don't set it too low trying to sound like a Harley or the oil will not pump up properly.1300 do have a higher idle and to also help them run when the engine is cold.

Donut:patriot:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Donut, I turned the idle up a little today, and when out on a 40 mile run and so far everything went well. Thank you so much for the help I'll keep you posted.

Thank you everone for your help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts