Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 VTX-1300 with 3600 mi and I am experiencing what I feel to be excessive vibration above 75 mph in fifth gear. I get what I am told is the normal "Harmonic Vibration" at one spot in each of the gears while accelerating. However, the vibration I am experiencing starts at around 75 mph and gets increasingly stronger until around 90 mph when all the vibrations kind of run together and the vibrations are not as intense. The vibration is more intense when pulling a grade or under full throttle. I feel the vibrations most intensely in the seat and footpegs, with the vibrations being less intense in the handlebars.

I took the bike into the dealer and they replaced the clutch damper, and told be the vibration was gone. The vibrations at lower speeds is less, but the vibration at higher speed is still there and seems to be getting stronger. I went back to the dealer, and they told me it the vibrations are normal for a single pin, V twin. I find that hard to believe and I have been pushing the dealer to investigate my issue. I opened a case with Honda over the fact that I am not getting any response to my warranty issue.

The bike has the stock Dunlap tires and Hard Krome 3" pipes that were installed by the dealer before I bought the bike. I searched the forums for suggestions as to the cause of vibrations on my VTX-1300 and from the descriptions, none of the vibration issues seem to be similar to the vibrations I am experiencing. I have purchased dyna-beads and an jet-kit that I plan on installing this weekend in hopes that this may help my vibration issues.

Any suggestions that any of you may have to help me solve my vibration issue would be welcome.
:banghead:

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Not sure what to say about what would cause extra vibration, it could be you have a internal problem but the single pin crank causing vibration they told you about is true.

However one thing I can say is Don't put a jet kit in it with only having pipes installed... Its not needed unless you change to an open style intake on the carb. If you already bought the kit, do yourself a favor and return it.
The one thing you may need to do is adjust the a/f an 1/8" to 1/4" turn out (richer), a lean running motor will vibrate more to. They come lean from the factory so adding pipes may have leaned it out a touch more.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Not sure what to say about what would cause extra vibration, it could be you have a internal problem but the single pin crank causing vibration they told you about is true.

However one thing I can say is Don't put a jet kit in it with only having pipes installed... Its not needed unless you change to an open style intake on the carb. If you already bought the kit, do yourself a favor and return it.
The one thing you may need to do is adjust the a/f an 1/8" to 1/4" turn out (richer), a lean running motor will vibrate more to. They come lean from the factory so adding pipes may have leaned it out a touch more.
+1!!!..Don't bother with the jet kit unless you enjoy lots of aggravation...And single-pin 52 degree V-twins DO vibrate a good deal...Adding better pipes will make it vibrate more than a stock bike also...These things aren't silky-smooth..You want that, then get a Goldwing or a BMW...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your reply's and the recommendation on the jet kit. The dealer said the bike was running a little lean and recommended the jet kit. I will try the a/f mix adjustment first.
The dealer checked the tire balance when I took it in the first time and they ended up replacing the clutch damper. The vibration doesn't seem to be coming from the head and I can release the handle bars above 45 mph and get no shake in the bars. The vibration is over and above the normal V twin vibration and it feels like it is an internal issue. I will let you know what happens after tomorrow with the dyna-beads and the carb adjustment.

·
Master Chromer
4,226 Posts
Yep, these bikes vibrate. That's why the girls like them.............plus..........less work for us. By the time you get the girl home, her's is already done.........then it's your turn.

·
Registered
170 Posts
l have a 2005 1300R that l just bought used. with 14k l was surprised at the vibration coming up through the seats and tank , but mine is different in that at high speed everything smooths out...but driving between 35 and 45 in speed up and slow down traffic l have to keep changing gears up and down to keep the rpm up or it rattles me to pieces... the dealer says thats normal with a Honda its hard to not lug it in those low speeds ..not much help but l can commiserate a little anyway

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
l have a 2005 1300R that l just bought used. with 14k l was surprised at the vibration coming up through the seats and tank , but mine is different in that at high speed everything smooths out...but driving between 35 and 45 in speed up and slow down traffic l have to keep changing gears up and down to keep the rpm up or it rattles me to pieces... the dealer says thats normal with a Honda its hard to not lug it in those low speeds ..not much help but l can commiserate a little anyway
for the original poster and for your post.

The vibrations and the lugging is all due to how it is tuned.

I run smooth at 77 true per the gps and have to really watch or I will be doing 85.

I can also chug through town in 5th gear doing as low as 30 and never miss a beat, then just a slow roll of the throttle and off I go.

if you want yours to preform the same open the A/F about 1/2 turn from stock setting, if you want a bit smoother top end use a shim on the needle and open the airbox up a bit.

Honda sets the bike up for running lean all through the rpm range.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts