Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just got my 2005 VTX few days ago, yesterday was my first time on it
I am a new rider, have no previous expierence. I am 6.4 feet and about about 200 lbs, so i guess VTX is the right bike for me

Alot says it's better to start on smaller bike, some says you better start on what you gonna ride (I just took what I felt comfortable on)

I am A mature rider, not a risk taker (or lets say i do calculated risks)and not a fan of speeding

I am not planning to use my bike to go and from work or as a transportation, more of weekends and late night hangouts

I am egyptian living in Cairo, this explains my username

how much time of practice do I need before taking it to the street, I already had couple of sessions with a professional instructor, now I can ride it on first gear at a low speed and can do curves and go in rounds (not a U turn yet) and can stop it smoothly

N.B I do daily training for about one hour, and I am not a fast learner (maybe because of being overcautious)

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe!

The VTX is a 700lb (320kg) Motorcycle.

That is on the "heavy" side, yes.. but it is not "extremely" heavy. Extremely Heavy is 975lb (440kg).

So called Starter Motorcycles are around 400-500lb (180-230Kg).

Considering your height and weight (you are almost exactly like me, Im 6'1" 205lb) it is a great Fit.

As far as specific instruction on riding a motorcycle, it sounds like you are heading down the correct path with an instructor.

Here are a few tips:

If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.

Ride like everyone out there doesn't see you.

There are a few threads on "Tips and Tricks" for Riding.

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=38045
-Gonz

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Welcome to the cafe form Florida and congrats on the new bike. Practice is something you need to do the whole time you own a bike. I'd stay off the road until you can make the Uturns and Panic stops too. Tou'll know when it's time by the ease with which you handle the bike and the confidence you feel. A bike is like a extenstion or part of us. Trust me you will become one with the bike. On the U-turn use the friction point on your clutch along with the rear brake and NEVER take you eyes off where you want to go. Good luck.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I don't know if the Motorcycle Safety Foundation has classes there or not but if they do I would STRONGLY recommend you take a weekend class with them. The reason is not necessarily to teach you how to physically handle your bike, although they will, but they can teach you stuff that you can learn the hard way over time or the easy way by someone else's experiences.

One weekend with them and you can learn 6 months worth of riding experiences.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I don't know if the Motorcycle Safety Foundation has classes there or not but if they do I would STRONGLY recommend you take a weekend class with them. The reason is not necessarily to teach you how to physically handle your bike, although they will, but they can teach you stuff that you can learn the hard way over time or the easy way by someone else's experiences.

One weekend with them and you can learn 6 months worth of riding experiences.
+100 joeldooris is right, MSF class would do you wonders. A good weekend in a MSF class would be like months of self training. Be careful & you will know when you are ready. Parking lot training is very good. Find you a parking lot that does not have alot of traffic & parked cars. Set you up a little course with curves, u-turns, & quick / panic stops, etc.
Make Friends & Ride Safe :choppersm

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe and congratulations on your choice of motorcycle. There is a wealth of information on the forum and most likely someone on here has gone through just about any circumstance you would encounter.

I agree with all above about taking a course (weekend) on motorcycle safety and proper riding techniques if at all possible. If there is nothing like that in Egypt, then I would encourage you to take your time and not rush out onto the streets until you are ready. A motorcycle is a great thing to ride and extremely enjoyable. Unfortunately it is also hard to see and dangerous due to the fact that you are out in the open. Hopefully there are courses available for you to take and you are definitely on the right track with the private training (hopefully that person knows what he is doing).

Don't mean to scare you, but we all would rather see you posting on the forums here than for us to hear about a crash you were involved in.

Have fun!

·
Registered
769 Posts
Welcome, ride safe. There are a ton of resources on this site to help out. Also, I believe there are motorcycle safety dvd's you could order if there is no classes around. Enjoy it, its a blast!

·
El Chupacabra Lives!
5,687 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from Denver. :)
Only tips I have are:
1. enjoy yourself.
2. ride your own ride not someone elses.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I am new to the VTX myself, just purchased a 2005 1300 VTX-R. Last bike I rode was a CB450 and that was over 30 years ago. I weigh 155lbs, am 5'7", 62 years old. I am also taking my time, don't want to be a statistic.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Sounds like you are going to do fine. I'm a new rider myself and have enjoyed learning things every time I ride. I too practice often and knowing my personality I probably always will.

Ride safe and often!

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Welcome to the cafe! If you run out of things to practice, pick up the Ride Like A Pro dvd - lots of great information in it. As far as advancing to street riding, I'd say get reasonably good at U-Turns and Panic stops before doing anything in traffic. Only you can determine when you want to venture forth. When you do start off in low traffic areas so you can get used to things without a heavy traffic. And yes, if you can take a Motorcycle Safety Course or can get more time with your instructor that would be great!

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Welcome from Florida.
Cairo is a big city and from the looks of the clips on you tube, traffic is crazy!
If you are going into city traffic like that be very sure you have the skills to handle it, until then stick to the lesser traveled roads.
Good luck, enjoy the bike and above all be safe.

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
Yes, Greetings.
You'll have to grab a few shots, so we get to see you 2 in action.

I suppose riding is mostly sunny, warm 365.
Some of us near Canada already are crying with machine up on blocks & snow.
Have you explored for others with cruisers, locally?

If it's typical to see residue sand storm dust over night on vehicles,
I'd invest in a cover to keep as much of it out of your machine.
Even if parked in a garage.

I used to live in similar conditions.
Cheers, & Congrats

·
Registered
512 Posts
Greetings to our new friend in Egypt! Your English is very impressive!

My advice: Practice, practice, practice. Then practice some more. The more you practice, the better rider you will become. Wear protective gear at all times: full-face helmet, safety sunglasses, armored jacket, pants, boots, and gloves. Get the hi-vis yellow color for your jacket and helmet if you can (see picture below).
Be safe,
CW

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome to the cafe! If you run out of things to practice, pick up the Ride Like A Pro dvd - lots of great information in it. As far as advancing to street riding, I'd say get reasonably good at U-Turns and Panic stops before doing anything in traffic. Only you can determine when you want to venture forth. When you do start off in low traffic areas so you can get used to things without a heavy traffic. And yes, if you can take a Motorcycle Safety Course or can get more time with your instructor that would be great!

Enjoy the ride!
I agree.... Ride Like A Pro is an excellent DVD:)

·
9,160 Posts
Welcome Egypt from Sebring, Florida. :icon_wave

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
Welcome from sunny Shelby, NC (The Livermush Capital of the World)

Ride Safe....

-Spoiler

:patriot:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Texas. I was a new rider when I bought my 1300VTXS. I had the advantage of the motorcycle safety course. I am still planning to buy the DVD, Riding like a Pro. Take it slow and you should do great.

·
aka The Rev
1,854 Posts
Well all that should be said has been said. So I will just say welcome.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts