Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SD July trip upcoming and I had to find room for a tool kit, air compressor, wrenches etc etc etc. Could not find what I wanted anywhere so I built one. Tool box that mounts under the rear luggage rack.
Start with determining what size you need. I used a 6” diameter kit simple because I had the room and my portable inflator would fit inside. I chose 20 inches for length simply because my current “wrenches” and accessories kit plus my compressor were that long (combined).
What you need – heavy duty PVC pipe, and two end fittings. Paint designed for painting PVC, and 3m spray adhesive if you plan to put leather or vinyl on the pipe. I put a screw in clean out fitting on one end and a cap on the other. I had some good black vinyl so I used that to cover the pipe for looks. I put some reflector tape on the back for safety( but did not like that, so I took it off), a little left over pin striping. I put it all together and bingo, I have a tool box which is out of the way, and holds all my tools, rags, tire flat kit and air compressor, and it is easy to take off if I want too. Put a pigtail on the compressor so it can plug into my bike’s trickle charger pigtail or a car aux. power plug.
The weight of the tools and stuff was tearing up everything else I tried. This seems to be the ticket.
One step closer to Being Ready...
JSR in HSV

I have extra pipe, end cap for cleanout screw in plug, plug and end cap. Someone local looking to make one give me an email. [email protected]

·
Registered
328 Posts
cool, i bet a collapsable fish rod would fit also....:hmm2:

·
USAF Ret Security Police
520 Posts
Great idea and it looks good as well mounted there. May need to try something like that to mount under the trunk just for tools and the comressor freeing up needed room. When is your trip to SD, I and a buddy will be there the 21st thru the 24th riding the Black Hills.

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
How did you attach it to the rack and does it have lots of clearance over the fender? It was good to meet you and your friend (did not get his name)at the Greeson's ride the other day.

Rebel

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Excellent idea, maybe a screw would keep them coming undone on the road like Charlie said. Something you could turn with a dime so no tools are needed.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
You had better file for a patent on that and then sell it to the people who sell that entire type luggage for bikes.
You may even sell your design to Robert Doerr owner of A2Z Custom Upholstery, and get small royalties off the sales.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great idea and it looks good as well mounted there. May need to try something like that to mount under the trunk just for tools and the compressor freeing up needed room. When is your trip to SD, I and a buddy will be there the 21st thru the 24th riding the Black Hills.
Leaving HSV on Thursday 21.. Cking in and staying in Custer for several days, through Thursday if things work out.

About 10 bikers will be staying there from this area.

JSR

How did you attach it to the rack and does it have lots of clearance over the fender? It was good to meet you and your friend (did not get his name)at the Greeson's ride the other day.

Rebel
Good Morning Rebel. My sissy bar rides high so I had a lot of clearance and does not interfere with the tail light vision. Put Velcro on the cap so that it does not turn.
Butch lives in the Village too.
I attached the tube to the underside of the luggage rack with three tension belts I purchased somewhere. Fits really good, no wiggle.
See you riding. Is Hot Springs full this weekend?

JSR

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You will need to fashion something to keep the threaded cap from coming unscrewed while you are going down the road.

A good well thought idea though.
Morning Charlie,
I put black Velcro on the bottom side and cap to keep the cap from turning. Will watch that, but something like a screw (as mention by wanderingbear) would be more fixed. Velcro may work.
Ride Safe.
JSR

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Morning Charlie,
I put black Velcro on the bottom side and cap to keep the cap from turning. Will watch that, but something like a screw (as mention by wanderingbear) would be more fixed. Velcro may work.
Ride Safe.
JSR
Looks like you got it covered then.

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
Good Morning Rebel. My sissy bar rides high so I had a lot of clearance and does not interfere with the tail light vision. Put Velcro on the cap so that it does not turn.
Butch lives in the Village too.
I attached the tube to the underside of the luggage rack with three tension belts I purchased somewhere. Fits really good, no wiggle.
See you riding. Is Hot Springs full this weekend?

JSR
Thanks for the info on the toolbox. I'm looking forward to seeing it in person! The big H.O.G. rally this coming weekend? 500 bikers and 20,000 Harley ridin' R.U.B.'s in 100 Deg. heat and 97% humidity? I'm going to the Buffalo river and canoe and ride the Jasper Disaster :choppersm and ride the Pig Trail :choppersm and drink beer :drunk: and... You won't find this po' white boy anywhere near Hot Springs this weekend!
Good luck on your trip, watch out for the heat. :D

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hey, thats a really great idea. I'm always looking for another way to carry tools and that's cool.:cheers:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts