Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took my 2003 vtx 1300 in to the local Honda dealer to have them change the oil, new spark plugs and put on a light bar. Rode it home and the next day went out to ride again and nothing. The turn signals light up, but nothing else and it won't turn over. Thought it might be the battery, so bought a new one, but still nothing. I can't get it to the shop in this condition, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Just took my 2003 vtx 1300 in to the local Honda dealer to have them change the oil, new spark plugs and put on a light bar. Rode it home and the next day went out to ride again and nothing. The turn signals light up, but nothing else and it won't turn over. Thought it might be the battery, so bought a new one, but still nothing. I can't get it to the shop in this condition, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
They screwed you

Light bar = install of a relay to keep from burning up the starter switch.

You may be able to salvage the starter switch all you need to do is open the clam shell and gently pry the switch open clean it and use a razor blade to gently bend the contacts up a little.

Then put a relay on the light bar or leave it off.

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,369 Posts
call the dealer and gently explain what happened.......then explain that the economic climate is such that they need your business.....and need to correct what they did wrong.....

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Charlie D is right above in post #2 above.
It's absolutely the starter switch - What light bar did they put on it and what is the wattage. where did they get the power for it. ?? in the headlight. Did they connect it to the existing light wiring --Bad. All that extra current goes threw the existing week starter switch if it is burnt up make them replace it. and then re-due it threw us . But don't just have them leave it connected like it is.
The lights need to be connected threw a relay off the battery and the relay trip wire needs to be connected to the Black wire with the brown stripe in the headlight with a separate light switch on it so you can shut the lights off at will.

Donut/Doug:patriot:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I called them, got it back in and despite the manager saying it couldn't be the starter, low and behold, it was. Now my new question is, if they didn't rewire it, which i am not sure if they did, as the service manager didn't really seem to have time for me, is this going to burn out again on me anytime soon? I am not going back to that shop, but if this continues, they WILL fix it for free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks and 1 more question

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. You were right, even though the manager said it couldn't be the starter, low and behold it was. Needless to say, i will never go back to that shop. My question now is, if they didn't rewire it, just put a new starter on, will that burn out the new starter as well and is this just a temporary fix?

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it. You were right, even though the manager said it couldn't be the starter, low and behold it was. Needless to say, i will never go back to that shop. My question now is, if they didn't rewire it, just put a new starter on, will that burn out the new starter as well and is this just a temporary fix?
Yes it will once again burn up the switch unless you install a relay to shut it off when the switch is depressed.

Pretty simple and many will offer their help here if you want to do it yourself.
Parts will be around 10 bucks.

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
There is nothing to rewire.

Did they replace the starter or the starter switch.

We'll see on this one - I'm still thinking it's going to have problems and it is most likely going to be the starter switch will need to be cleaned.
I'll be watching this - over thousands of VTX's and thousands of post on three boards there has not been one starter that has gone bad. They are sealed.

I had one person that argued this with me from southern Florida for three weeks and in the end it was not the starter.

Donut/Doug:patriot:

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
I'm wondering what brand of lightbar and how they wired it into the bike.....:hmm2:
I'm wondering the same thing. You need to go back to them and find out what light bare it is and what wattage each bulb is . Then ask them where they got power for the light bar. Did they run it threw a relay or connect it into the headlight wiring:banghead: .

If it's wired wrong it can burn things up.

Donut :patriot:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts