Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

This is my first post after reading around for a while and now I have a problem. The bike was running fine all winter and then the first day it was warm out it wouldnt start. Tore it all apart checked everything and threw it back together and started right up. Only problem is that it runs like crap and I'm not getting fuel the the rear plugs. Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Hello all

This is my first post after reading around for a while and now I have a problem. The bike was running fine all winter and then the first day it was warm out it wouldnt start. Tore it all apart checked everything and threw it back together and started right up. Only problem is that it runs like crap and I'm not getting fuel the the rear plugs. Any suggestions? Thanks a bunch
Posted via Mobile Device
How did you decide the rear cylinder isn't getting any gas?
Have you checked or replaced the plugs?

It's not uncommon to have a problem after sitting all winter but it usually ends up being bad gas, fouled plugs or a plugged jet or something along those lines. But with only one carb I don't see how the rear cyl wouldn't get any gas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what the weird thing is. When I pull the plugs both front have fuel on them and the rear ones are dry. I would think even if the plugs were shot which I dont think they are they would atleast be wet also. Or maybe the front plugs are just getting to much fuel?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
That's what the weird thing is. When I pull the plugs both front have fuel on them and the rear ones are dry. I would think even if the plugs were shot which I dont think they are they would atleast be wet also. Or maybe the front plugs are just getting to much fuel?
Posted via Mobile Device
all the air and fuel runs through the same carb and the same manifold so both cylinders have to be getting gas.

I would start with checking spark at the plugs.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Could it be that the rear plugs are the ones actually running, ( they're dry) and the front ones are the culprit as they're fouled (they're wet from fuel therefore not firing)?
Just throwing things out there....

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Could it be that the rear plugs are the ones actually running, ( they're dry) and the front ones are the culprit as they're fouled (they're wet from fuel therefore not firing)?
Just throwing things out there....
That's my exact thought and I'm guessing the a/f is running too lean and the plugs are being fouled - I smell a choke here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the rear ones are dry but black and the front ones are just wet. They are the densos that come with the bike from the factory. I'm gonna get a new set of plugs today and check for spark on all cylinders. It's been awile but if I remember correctly I put a stage one jet kit on when I put the pipes on. Should the af be at 2.5 and what plugs do you suggest. This forum is great. I always thought it would take days for a response but you guys are all over this. Thanks again for the help here.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
What stage one did you put in there.
What did you actually put in there.
What brand - what slow jet and what main jet and at what notch.
If it is not a FP then I'd get it out of there.
What pipes
has anything been done to the intake.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Vance and Hines and a k&n jet kit. It's been so long I don't remember specifics. All I know is that it ran fine for a long time. I know for sure that it was a stage one and that I got it from the Honda dealer that I bought the bike at. It had like 500 miles on it at that point. Now i have 10,000. I moved from south fl to new Hampshire so now the bike sits alot more than before. ( used to ride it every day) the carb looks clean as could be as far as the float bowl goes any way. Also the airbox is stock.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
Do you know what jets were put in there slow/main and at what clip and what the a/f is set at.

If you want to stop all your problem re jet it with factory pro stage 3 kit.
Everyone that dose is much happier after they do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Being that I only have the pipes on there can I use the stage 3? And what plugs do you suggest? Also what settings on the af? I don't know what it's set at today but that's all gonna change very soon.

·
Registered
456 Posts
If the front plugs aren't firing then I would think the front coil is at fault?
A good chance this is correct or possible a loose wire.
And BEFORE you start messing with a carburetor on an engine that had been running just fine and suddenly stopped - check the spark on that coil! Easy to do and could save you time, money and a huge headache.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I have spark from all four wires. Still the back ones are black and dry and the front ones are very wet and look normal as far as lean/rich would look like. Gonna go get a set of plugs for now and see. But I'm thinking of going and getting the factory stage 3 kit. I don't remember exactly what brand jet kit I put in originally but maybe its time for an upgrade anyways. What brand do you guys suggest for plugs? I've always used ngk for all my vehicles.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
The stock plugs are good for over 100k just clean them with WD40 and a small brass wire brush and reset them and go.
Mine have over 25k on them and they look great.

?? guessing - Is the tit above the needle clipped - dose the needle move up and down. And also look at the the rubber boot to see if there is any cracks in it and is it lined up with the little loop on it's grove properly.
Is there a possibility that the intake behind the carb could be cracked or torn or one of the clamps loose. I'm just guessing here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I feel like a dumb a$$. Tore it down again and found the connections to the heads loose from the carbs. They must have gotten loose over time. Starts right up and runs pretty good. Thanks for all the help and info.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
I think I suggested that in the previous post #16 above LOL!
lol Glad everything is working good now for you.

·
Registered
719 Posts
:mosh: Donut calls it! Man....ya gotta love this forum. Truth is...there's more parctical knowledge here than you'd ever find at a stealership.:D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts