Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I recently came across this group and would be interested in any ideas on what is going on with my VTX. It is a 2009 Honda VTX 1300C and it had 20,000 miles on it. I first noticed the problem when I was out riding and saw white smoke coming from behind, I turned the bike around and sure enough oil was coming out from the pipes. I did some research and found that it was probably the O-rings. I removed the exhaust, replaced the O-rings which had to be pried off carefully as to not damage its surroundings and they looked almost as thick as a finger nail when they came off. Finished installing the new o-rings and it seemed to be running just fine. Fast forward a month later and the leak came back. It is leaking like before but now there also seems to be a leak somewhere inside the exhaust. I should mention that the exhaust was custom and came with the bike, but everything looked fine when I first worked on it. Now I'm trying to see if maybe there is something else wrong with it or if I simply didn't do a good job the first time. This is my first bike and I love riding it, but would also like to learn how to fix it.

Issues with motorcycle:
1. Exhaust is leaking oil
2. White smoke coming out (not constant but puffs of white smoke)
3. It does sputter when I accelerate sometimes

·
Registered
15 Posts
Exhaust gaskets have nothing to do with your problem. Verify if it’s oil or coolant coming out of pipes. If its only doing this at initial start up, could be condensation. I f fully warmed up, it seems like a blown head gasket. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
10,348 Posts
Burning of excessive oil usually yields blue tinted exhaust smoke. Running too rich is usually black smoke. White smoke usually means water/coolant is getting into the engine which is usually a blown head gasket.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts