Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first experience with forums. I hope I am in the right place.:confused:

Here is the situation:
My 2007 VTX 1300C is totally stock. The bike is idling around 950 rpm. When I twist the throttle, black exhaust comes out of one of the pipes.
During the first ride of the day, I have to feather the choke till it warms up, maybe 5 - 10 mins.
1. Why is one pipe burning black?
2. How long should I need to choke the bike during a normal summers day?

·
Mah Nà Mah Nà
662 Posts
You need your carb tuned. If its tuned right, no need for the choke, which isnt even a choke. I was going to say that to much fuel could be part of the problem, but it seems like if that were the case it would be black in both pipes.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
This is my first experience with forums. I hope I am in the right place.:confused:

Here is the situation:
My 2007 VTX 1300C is totally stock. The bike is idling around 950 rpm. When I twist the throttle, black exhaust comes out of one of the pipes.
During the first ride of the day, I have to feather the choke till it warms up, maybe 5 - 10 mins.
1. Why is one pipe burning black?
2. How long should I need to choke the bike during a normal summers day?

Choke useage should be no more than 20-30 seconds while the bike is idling while you get ready to roll out...Riding with the choke "on" is why you're getting the black smoke...You're also killing your sparkplugs that way...The choke on these bikes isn't like a choke on a '75 Camaro...It's an enrichment circuit in the carb that just dumps a bunch of extra fuel into the engine...

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Riding or even using the choke will fowl your plugs. If it is only coming out of one pipe then that would be my guess. Try changing out the plugs and stop using the choke. Turn the throttle twice and push start then ride the throttle till it idles itself. I don't think I have used my choke in 4 years and that includes mornings in the 40's (45 deg is my cut off temp)

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from Spring, TeXas. :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts