Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a (2004) VTX1300c. Over time I'v developed a ticking sound when idling an riding, it seems to be coming from the lower left front (near shifter) transmission. Just wondering if anyone has any knowlage or experance of this happening.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Probably the valves making that noise, and it should sound like a sewing machine, if it hasn't been done check the valve clearances as soon as possible, too much ticking means loose valves, and that's not good.

·
Premium Member
10,077 Posts
Sounds like valves, but might want an experienced VTX rider listen to it. Wishing you well.

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
I had the same thing a year ago. Had the valves adjusted and went right away.

BE SURE they live your bike overnight so it goes absolutely stone dead cold before checking them...and DON'T let some young mechanic think he can start it up to get it onto a ramp or lift either...NO heat!!! :nono:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the thing, it doesn't tick when the engine is cold and the sound is coming from the tranny, I can also add that a veteran bike mechanic at Honda
was stumped, he didn't mention valves.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
valves are on top.
Down low on the left side is the stator.
Could be clutch which is on the right side and its tellagrafing thru the shifter.
Hard to say with hearing it in person.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought a 2004 VTX-1300r 9500 miles and getting alot of ticking noise also. It seems to get worse as it warms up. I'm bringing it to a local shop to check it out. From what I've read my problem sounds like valves.

·
Thumper
155 Posts
Can you make a MP3 from after the valve adjustment or properly adjusted valves? I checked my valves three times and the oil and still sounds like the first MP3.
If you listen to it again?

You'll hear me move the mic from front to rear cylinder and back. Each time you hear the tapping noise? It's on the rear cylinder. When it goes away and you hear the slight sewing machine sound? That's the front cylinder.

You "want" to hear some valve noise as if it's totally quiet, they are too tight and you could burn a valve.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Check them to be sure, but these engines are noisy even when they are perfectly adjusted. I just checked mine last weekend at 12,500 miles and the two intakes on the front cylinder were tight. They closed up to .003". Last time I checked them was around 6,000 miles and they were all set to spec then. Glad I decided to check them. If you do decide to do it yourself, there are tons of videos and directions on a step by step process. First time takes a little longer, after that, it takes longer to take get to them and re-assemble the bike than it does to actually check/adjust them. I have found that the front ex. valve is the only tricky one. Just not a ton of room to get a feeler gauge, angled or straight, in there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's what mine sounded like before I got the valves adjusted.

Sound MP3 Here.

If it sounds kind of like that? It's your valves.

Hi I was just listening to your mp3 vid on the ticking of your VTX 1300c I have the same bike, was the sound coming from the top or bottom of the cylinder head or the trasmission area. Thanks it really sounds awful from such a nice bike mine has 19,000 miles on it. good luck too you to.:banghead:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just picked up a new battery and had the mechanic listen to my "noisy valves". He assured me that they were fine. I'll go with that for now. :patriot:

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Just picked up a new battery and had the mechanic listen to my "noisy valves". He assured me that they were fine. I'll go with that for now. :patriot:
Wow, he must be the best mechanic in the world:icon_bs:. Just listening to them does not equal checking clearance.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
Wow, he must be the best mechanic in the world:icon_bs:. Just listening to them does not equal checking clearance.
i wasn't gonna say anything :hmm2::icon_susp (but sometimes i do use the reference of checking with others in your area and listen to theirs, but only when the person has had the bike and adjust them and thinks they sound too loud....that's the only time i'll do a "reference" sound check :) )

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
I'm not trying to be a smart alec, but just listening isn't the right way to go about it, I will listen after they've been checked/adjusted, but to hear 'em and say they're ok is baloney.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
believe me, i understand...but a guy who buys a bike that's never been adjusted and then adjust them to specs, he's gonna think something is wrong...like i said, i'd never recommend listening to valves to see if they need adjusting (there's only one way to check valves, that's manually check them), but a comparison listen is different for a guy with a bike in proper specs that's never been in specs since the bike was bought new :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts