Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I brought home my 2005 VTX 1800S yesterday morning. Several observations.

1. Had an 80 mile ride and it was STINK COLD (35 degrees). Had on all my cold weather gear and survived but was really glad the ride wasn't much longer.

2. WOW, this thing rocks for a V-Twin. I had a Suzuki 1400 and 1500 over the past 10 years and they were "dogs" compared to the VTX. I've been riding a Honda ST1300 for the past year and a half. The VTX doesn't have the top in HP surge of the ST, but in the lower end, it pulls just as hard. I had a frozen grin on my face all the way home.

3. Handling was tolerable for a big bike. Pretty heavy compared to the sport bike I've been riding. However, compared to cruisers in the past, very comparable in the corners and rock solid in the straight. I have heard that it was tough at parking lot speeds, but I did not find that to be the case. Very manageable even at slow speeds. I was pleasantly surprized.

4. The bike already had V&H Big Shots installed. Love the sound, but may be selling them and replacing them with reworked stock pipes from VTX Exhaust. Like the looks of the stock pipes, but LOVE the sound of aftermarket.

5. The BIG extra that came with the bike was the Ultimate Big Boy seat. UNBELIEVABLE. I thought my butt had died and gone to heaven. I originally planned to trade out the Big Boy for a Lowrider. NOT SO. All I need is a set of risers (on order) and the optional backrest and I will be in riding nirvana. The Ultimate is like sitting on the sofa. Amazing.

6. The bike also came with Kuryakyn Ergo footpeg engine guards (a $399 item). They look great, but I'm a short legged guy and can't reach them. So I'll be selling them and buying a set of Cobra Fatty Bars and some Kurykyn Longhorn adjustable pegs.

Unfortunately, the weather is supposed to be in the 20's all week here in southern Missouri, with 6" of snow coming tonight. This is the coldest, snowiest winter in 20 years. Spring can't come too soon.

This may become my favorite bike in 40 years of riding.

Now, all I need to do is get the Honda ST1300 sold, so if any of you guys know of someone who is in the market . . . I'll make them a heck of a deal.
:choppersm

·
Registered
769 Posts
Congrats and welcome from S. Texas!

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
Thanks for posting preacherbo, and glad you're enjoying the ride. Wish you could have better weather to enjoy, but time will fix that of course.

Fyi, also if you ever want to adjust that low end torque vs. upper end horsepower, not only will an aftermarket computer change some of those things (as you know) but from having done it myself it can make a drastic change if you may be after that.

I'm still dialing mine in after putting on after market HK's, I'm still running a bit lean, low end torque isn't where it one was, and my 35-65 jump is ridiculous... so the motor can give you the other end of the spectrum if you desire (and handily!)... but honestly I want to dial it back to more low end torque myself.... kinda miss it.

Mort

1 - 7 of 7 Posts