Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone just bought vtx 1800 n used with 16k miles and it’s time to change the engine oil and I’m very confused between synthetic oil and normal oil
I want to know the best oil brand I can use and safe for my clutch and gears
Thank you

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,525 Posts
JASO-MA oil.
Anything that says energy conserving in the circle symbol is bad.

Beyond those two things it's all personal preference. Synthetic is more likely to go beyond the Honda recommended change interval but dino oil might be fine longer periods too. Only way to KNOW is to actually test it in a lab. The way oil looks means nothing.

Read the answers to common questions thread in the 1300 forum (applies to 1800 too) for list of oil filters and other useful things.

·
Registered
16,633 Posts
I use Mobil 1 synthetic 10-40. Get the racing 4T if you can find it.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
^^^What he said.^^^ There are a bunch of viable options here, but I like the Mobil 1 4T Racing 10W40. I don't give a crap about price. If I find something I like I stick with it.

Reactions: Charles H

·
Registered
13 Posts
Asked the same question awile ago..alot of options..rotella is good to..15/40..T6?..i think is the synthetic

·
Registered
67 Posts
I originally used Mobil 1, and it is a good oil but it didn't produce a noticeable difference in performance. Then I switched to Redline oil. No difference in engine performance but definate improvement is shifting smoothness. I've heard Motul oil has the same effect.

·
Registered
16,633 Posts
Motul is good stuff, member MJKLASER did an extensive write-up on it here last year.

·
Mean ol' Mo' Fo'
372 Posts
Rotella is fine. Even the dino oil.
Things to remember,...no energy conserving service stamps and change it while its still good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So these oils are clutch compatible? I use the Honda GN4 oil but I want to get away from it a gallon is stupid expensive like $60 CND. Has anybody used Amsoil or Lucas? I want a good oil as my bike has 60,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm an Amsoil guy, put it in all my vehicles and love the way it makes them run. It made my Honda Shadow so damn quiet that my front tire on pavement was louder than the motor. My VTX runs cooler with Amsoil than with conventional oil. I've also heard good things about Royal Purple, and had a friend who used it religiously in his Victory bikes.

Bottom line, with the experience we have posting here, just check and see what these folks are using and you should be fine. I always use Amsoil. PaXman11 uses Mobil 1. We're both right. So on and so forth.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use full synthetic Mobil 15W50 for all four seasons
10W40 is good for colder climates 20W50 for hotter climates. Mobil and Castrol GTX synthetics are both good oils.
Just don't put anything in any motor that says energy conserving, not good for any motor IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone just bought vtx 1800 n used with 16k miles and it’s time to change the engine oil and I’m very confused between synthetic oil and normal oil
Thank you
Just changed mine, went with 10W40 normal Honda motor oil. Keep thinking I am going to change over to synthetic, but I never have pulled the pin. I have heard that the advantages are primarily in shifting. It is said that the shift is quieter and smoother with synthetic. Next time maybe.
Welcome to the best bike ever built!
Bill

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thank you
You will get a million opinions from a million different people on oil. The more important question you should be asking is about the oil filter. Regular mineral oil in fine if you plan on doing regular interval oil changes. Synthetic is good if you want to stretch out your changes since it does not break down as quick as mineral oil.
Stick with Honda OEM filter and you will be fine with any oil because that is what is filtering your oil.
just another opinion.

·
Registered
16,633 Posts
'just another opinion'.......Almost any filter can be used that fits the bike. It's what goes through it that counts. MY and many others' opinions.

·
Registered
2006 VTX 1800S, 2004 VTX 1800C, 2004 NRX 1800 Rune
10 Posts
Another "What's the best oil" question. It's quicksand asking about brands of oil or when responses are based on sentiment or, "my personal experience" or, "I feel like" logic. After all, our bikes are machines (wonderful machines) and care nothing about brands or feelings. Many of the responses so far essentially acknowledge this by referencing viscosity ratings, synthetic vs mineral, JASO MA type ratings or the OEM specified oil. These are all properties of oil expressed in the standards that are rigorously (and thankfully) imposed on refiners during production by the petroleum industry itself. Without those, there could be no rational evaluation or discussion about qualitative differences between oils. Focus on those to evaluate for yourself which oil to choose. Point is, the correct "best oil" answer is never found in brand names (which is what you asked). Here's "my two cents".
1. Choose synthetic-- it's inherent properties result in a "tougher", more durable/ more capable lubricant (and coolant) when compared to traditional mineral based oil. It's why synthetic oils are universally specified in the aviation industry particularly for jet engines. And just for some FYI, modern jet engines which accumulate thousands of operating hours each year using synthetic oils normally NEVER change their oil in service until the engine comes off the wing for cause or over hall.
2. Use higher viscosity oil during higher ambient and/ or engine operating temperatures. Vice versa for cooler temps.
3. Choose a good filter. Those also have (rather minimal) industry standards applied but a wide degree of qualitative differences between them. My preference over time has become the Purolator brand Boss line of filters. Again, not because of the Purolator brand but because of it's inherent qualities.
4. Do your own research and never stop independently investigating/ inquiring.

·
Registered
16,633 Posts
Your #4 should be your #1.

Reactions: 68valiant
1 - 18 of 18 Posts