Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 VTX 1800 R/S with 15” Spoke Wheels

The original rear tire was a K555 Dunlop 170/80/15 and I was tired of changing the tire every time I the bike was due for an oil change. So I installed a Continental Tire Vanco 2 (Highway Rib Summer) 195/70/15 car tire which I purchased form a local Goodyear dealer. The tire was very close to the original tire size. Same Diameter and 1” wider so I was able to use the original tube. To seat the bead it took 120 PSI. I did not have a tire cage so I set the tire on the opposite side of a block wall and used a tire inflator with a gauge and inflated the tire until I heard the bead seat.
The tire is the same size as the original, I am currently running 40 PSI. To date I have only have 120 miles on the new tire but it sure ride nice. At this point I don’t ever see myself going back to a motorcycle tier on the rear of the bike.

Additional tire information:
------------------------- Rim----- Diameter--- Width----- Height
Original ---170 / 80 / 15" ----- 25.7"------- 6.7" ------- 5.4"
New Tire -195 / 70 / 15" ----- 25.7"---------7.7"-------- 5.4"
----- ------- 205 / 70 / 15" ----- 26.3" -------- 8.1" ------- 5.7"

·
Re-member
1,078 Posts
Nice!! That may be me in a few thousand miles...

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I thought the 1800's had a 16" rear and the 1300's were a 15". I went darkside just over a year ago (about 10k miles) and love it. Welcome to the darkside!!!

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
I went dark about 1500 miles ago and can't see myself ever going back.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought the 1800's had a 16" rear and the 1300's were a 15". I went darkside just over a year ago (about 10k miles) and love it. Welcome to the darkside!!!

I was wondering about this this myself.
Maybe the spoke wheels are 15” and the cast wheels are 16”?

·
Registered
25 Posts
to those of you who have been riding a car tire for a long time....what benefit do you get? Is it a better ride? Do the tires last longer? Not the looks, I'd like to know what you really get out of it.

Thanks!

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
to those of you who have been riding a car tire for a long time....what benefit do you get? Is it a better ride? Do the tires last longer? Not the looks, I'd like to know what you really get out of it.

Thanks!
Almost a grand a year!
I ride about 12-14000 miles a year and get 6000 per rear and 7-8000 front.
Rear tire w/stealer installation $350 + tax X 2 = $700 + tax
Front tire w/ stealer installation $250 + tax
$975 a year

Yoko Enviger 205/60/16 =$109
Bought a lift ($79 at Harbor Freight) and do my own installation = $0 (best money you can spend!)
Balance with Airsoft beads = $9 for enough to do 7-8 tires
25-35000 miles on the CT, magnificent wet/dry stopping power, very puncture resistant, great ride (rear IS more active over uneven roads) somewhat slower response at low speeds (under 10-15 mph, How much time do you spend under 15 mph?).
95% positive, 5% negative. Do the math.:mosh:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hmm, interesting. The price change is definitely a big plus. I have a lift and could probably manage the change. I have heard so many people who go to the darkside, just never really knew any real benefits except the "cool" factor...until now. Thanks a lot.

Sounds like I need to consider it when I need a new rear. I assume you change your own front tire? You just order online? Sounds like you are saving a lot of money each year. $975 a year is a lot!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been wondering about the darkside myself, really thought hard when i had my vstar650 but never did. I had a lot of people tell me the cornering is alot different and it could be possible the the rear wheel to slide out since the tire is not rounded on the side like a MC tire. Has anyone had this problem, and do you know if the bike shop would change it or would i have to go somewhere else to have it changed. I bought my vtx 1800r 06 model about 3 weeks ago had already put 4100 miles on it (it had 1400 when bought it)

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Sometimes dealerships will mount it othertimes a local shop will do it. I've never felt like my rear was going to slide and I've layed the bikke over to where my highway bars scraped. Another member was saying he scraped his bars at 80. I've never heard of any kind of traction loss.....without having the "typical" mc tire shape, you actually have more rubber on the ground at all times.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I had a local motorcycle shop tell me that they had no problem mounting a CT; however, they required you to sign a waiver form that says you understand that the CT makes your bike unsafe. They charge $45 for the install. Location is Rockville, MD.

·
Registered
204 Posts
About 5000 now and love it. We never had an issue seating the tire. But the guy that mounted on the rim says what he does in those cases is put about 60 pounds in and put the tire in the sun, it pops within the half hour.

·
High Road Riders
77 Posts

The original rear tire was a K555 Dunlop 170/80/15 and I was tired of changing the tire every time I the bike was due for an oil change. So I installed a Continental Tire Vanco 2 (Highway Rib Summer) 195/70/15 car tire which I purchased form a local Goodyear dealer. The tire was very close to the original tire size. Same Diameter and 1” wider so I was able to use the original tube. To seat the bead it took 120 PSI. I did not have a tire cage so I set the tire on the opposite side of a block wall and used a tire inflator with a gauge and inflated the tire until I heard the bead seat.
The tire is the same size as the original, I am currently running 40 PSI. To date I have only have 120 miles on the new tire but it sure ride nice. At this point I don’t ever see myself going back to a motorcycle tier on the rear of the bike.

Thanks, that's the information that I've been waiting to hear.
I ran my 1800 R with a Goodyear TT for 35,000 miles with hardly a sign of wear until it got totaled out last year. (no fault of the tire)
My replacement bike is a 02 1800 S. I've got a GYTT 195/70R 15 sitting in the garage ready to go on. Want to grab a new tube
before having it mounted. I'm on my third M/C tire on the year since purchasing the bike last year and am sick of it.
My mechanic can't put it on for a couple of weeks, so will have to suck it up until then. Can't wait to go Darkside again.

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
Hmm, interesting.
Even More interesting if you actually enter a major tire store and start throwing every tire out of the rack that are the size intended.

Actually look close at tread design - compared to what's on the Scoot now.
Pay close attention to water designed micro sipe already built in.

I used to pay huge to have this added to a set of tires.
The difference is night and day - this wet design will put you through the windshield with anti lock brakes.

The Front Tire has already plowed a path for the rear tire to follow in of less water volume on the surface.

Pick out of the group the best design - forget the price - it's already 1/2 to 1/3 less already than MT.

What I don't like is the pressure being used to seat them - that's over stressing the cords beyond design threshold.
Sidewalls are only single ply- better lube - or removed and buffed off some of the bead area diameter.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Update:
I now have about 12,000 mile and still no visible sign of tread wear.
However it has pushed the bike down the road enough miles to wear out another front tire.

·
High Road Riders
77 Posts
I have been wondering about the darkside myself, really thought hard when i had my vstar650 but never did. I had a lot of people tell me the cornering is alot different and it could be possible the the rear wheel to slide out since the tire is not rounded on the side like a MC tire. Has anyone had this problem, and do you know if the bike shop would change it or would i have to go somewhere else to have it changed. I bought my vtx 1800r 06 model about 3 weeks ago had already put 4100 miles on it (it had 1400 when bought it)
These people who are telling you how unsafe it is on curves are people who have never ridden with the c/t. I put over 35,000 miles on my GYTT with NO problems what so ever. I rode it on Deals Gap, Independence Pass, The Million Dollar Highway, The Cumberland Gap, and anything else I could throw at it. It handled the curves better than the m/c tire did. Then I threw rain into the picture and I walked away from my friends with m/c tires. I noticed a slight snap back using a Michelin Hydro Edge. None with the GYTT.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts