Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used 2006 VTX 1800. They came with Harley Davidson tires on them. Bike feels squirrelly to me but I've never ridden a bike with a front fairing before.
Question: Why?
Why would anyone purposely put the wrong size tire on a VTX 1800?

·
Super Moderator
11,360 Posts
Tell us what size tires were put on the VTX1800 and what makes them "Harley Davidson tires". I could be wrong but I did not think HD made tires. I thought they use Dunlop tires on their bikes from the factory. Of course, an owner of an HD or a VTX can put on any brand they want.

·
Registered
38 Posts
just because they are branded Harley, doesn't mean they are the wrong size.

what size are they? what size should they be? different model/year VTX have different size tires.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Tell us what size tires were put on the VTX1800 and what makes them "Harley Davidson tires". I could be wrong but I did not think HD made tires. I thought they use Dunlop tires on their bikes from the factory. Of course, an owner of an HD or a VTX can put on any brand they want.

Harley has their branded name on Dunlop tires. Made by Dunlop, but to be cool have Harley-Davidson embossed in the rubber. but they are sold in a variety of sizes some of which I suspect will fit the VTX.

Hell saw Harley branded Tires on GSX-r recently.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They're Michelin Scorcher "31" with Harley Davidson embossed
Front - 130/70B18
Rear - 180/70 B16

·
Super Moderator
11,360 Posts
Which model VTX1800 do you have - R, S, C, F, or T (T might not exist for the 1800, I'm not sure). If you do not know the difference, tell us what kind of wheels it has (spokes or not), what length front fender it has (small/short or long/large), and what kind of dashboard it has. Pictures of these three things would also allow us to determine what kind of VTX1800 it is. Different 1800 bikes use different size tires.

Reactions: 68valiant

·
Super Moderator
11,360 Posts
The specified stock tire sizes for a VTX1800C are: Fr = 130/70-R18 63H Rr = 180/70-R16 77H. The HD tires that you have on the bike are the correct size (diameter, aspect ratio, and width). Just because they have HD on them does not make them a bad tire. Replace them due to age, wear, poor performance, dry rot, cracking, or something else functional. Do not replace them just because they are labeled with HD.

Reactions: Mr. Incredible

·
The Dude That Rides
2007 Honda VTX 1800N1
2,659 Posts
If you don't want those tires, I will take them. I'm sure we could negotiate a deal.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
what about tire AIR PRESSURE ... most run 36 in the front and 40 in the rear tire.

·
Registered
17,587 Posts
My 1800 C, stock size front Dunlop Elite 4 with 38 psi, 1 bottle of orange Ride-On internal balancer/ sealer. Rear is a darkside car tire General Altimax RT43 w/ 40 psi, 205-65-16 and 2 bottles of Ride-On. Both wheels also have steel 90* stems. Very smooth ride. Don't forget before 1960, most all bike tires were HD tires or auto tires.

·
Registered
2001 vt1100 areo. Plus a 2012 xlc 1200
34 Posts
I just purchased a used 2006 VTX 1800. They came with Harley Davidson tires on them. Bike feels squirrelly to me but I've never ridden a bike with a front fairing before.
Question: Why?
Why would anyone purposely put the wrong size tire on a VTX 1800?
I have a 2012 xlc an the tires suck!! Bridgstone Are a cheaper an better buy. They stick to the road in rain an on hot days. Nothing like the micheline tires. Junk!!!

·
Mean ol' Mo' Fo'
415 Posts
The 'Stones are a good nuff MC.
For rear,...i like 205/60/16 CTs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The 'Stones are a good nuff MC.
For rear,...i like 205/60/16 CTs.
I should of test ride this bike (hd) before i signed the papers!!! With those tires it such a bad ride. The should of put dunlap on them. Anything but the michelines. Which is just one of many thing so wrong on my sportster.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
8,123 Posts
You never said how old the tires are.

Anything over 4 years just replace it. If it feels weird as you claim then replace it.

Look for any odd wear patterns to the tread like cupping. I had that problem on my Vic when I bought it because prior owner ran very low pressure in rear all the time. No way to cure a tire when it gets to that point just have to replace it and fix any possible cause. Air pressure in my case.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You never said how old the tires are.

Anything over 4 years just replace it. If it feels weird as you claim then replace it.

Look for any odd wear patterns to the tread like cupping. I had that problem on my Vic when I bought it because prior owner ran very low pressure in rear all the time. No way to cure a tire when it gets to that point just have to replace it and fix any possible cause. Air pressure in my case.
The bike was bought brandnew. 2012 an only has 15,000 kms on them. The bike tires are junk from the start. So is the oil tank. Has a metal cover but a plastic tank. An a spring plastic dipstick!!!?? Holds 20w50 oil. An because it has forward controls your leg rest on the dipstick. After a few road bumps. Traintracks or anything like that it pops up. Leaking hot oil down the side , down to the belt an all over the back tire. An it came that way!!! Nice. Like i,v said many times. So dissatisfied with hd. Its not funny!!! One of may things wrong with this bike!!! Wiring!!!tires,oil tank! Junk!!!

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
8,123 Posts
The bike was bought brandnew. 2012 an only has 15,000 kms on them. The bike tires are junk from the start. So is the oil tank. Has a metal cover but a plastic tank. An a spring plastic dipstick!!!?? Holds 20w50 oil. An because it has forward controls your leg rest on the dipstick. After a few road bumps. Traintracks or anything like that it pops up. Leaking hot oil down the side , down to the belt an all over the back tire. An it came that way!!! Nice. Like i,v said many times. So dissatisfied with hd. Its not funny!!! One of may things wrong with this bike!!! Wiring!!!tires,oil tank! Junk!!!
I was referring to the original poster with the VTX.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Not sure how many miles were on them. Lots of tread on them. I would say less than 1000 miles.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts