Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
18,785 Posts
Good afternoon, I am having a difficult time getting valid information pertaining to the fuel tanks and which ones will interchange. I have researched for weeks and only have data that is vague at best. There is one post on this forum
regarding certain years and the tanks that will fit other years.
Will 2005 VTX 1800R fit my 2006 VTX 1800R View attachment 245091
I have everything repaired that I am capable of I am taking it to Dealership for the front mastercylinder and Clutch as they are scratched. I am taking no chances...I have not been on concrete since I was 22. I am 56 years of age and I cannot take another fall like that. I already lost my career to large blood clot in left leg and 4 surgeries later. I went back to college to continue to take care of my two daughters and wife. This was my first investment last summer when I started first semester 12 fast track hours...emergency surgery 10 days after class started June 10th and June 29th this nightmare...I am blessed to be alive and I still pulled off two A's and one 89 only had to drop one class so I am still in the guidelines...dropped to 6 hours this semester as no ride makes attendance rather difficult..
Mr. Incredible said:as I recall from my research last october (2020) trying to find a tank for my F
1800s (no idea on the 1300s)
2002-2006 C tanks only work for C models
2005-2007 F tanks only work for F models
2002-2005 R,S are interchangeable between R,S
2005-2009 R,S,N,T are interchangeable between R,S,N,T
2007-2009 C and F are interchangeable (and will also work on a 2005-2006 F, but not a 2005-2006 C)
2005 forward have external fuel pump, starting with the F and N then 2006 for all models.
I believe that is correct, I dug long and hard to find an F tank after mine got damaged. near impossible to find.

I completely agree with impossible to find...I bought a 2005 VTX 1300C in 2016 it has 49,000 miles now. I purchased the 2006 VTX 1800R this year last week of May. The seller supposedly 15 year immediately family friend told my brother and I that new tires were just installed...June 29th I changed lanes from right to center and the front tire just let go of concrete and bike went down at 45mph. I road approx 700 miles...the bike and 3000 miles when I purchased it the title had 1 mile on it. The paint job was custom the corbin seat was torn apart made wider for sellers wife with memory foam. LED turn signals in rear view mirrors and the rear signals led in 2007 that was a big thing.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I cannot gamble with the purchase of a tank financially is NOT possible.

Thanks for reading my apologies for the length of post.]
Jeff
They both are 1800 R's, they should be identical.

· Registered
18,785 Posts
Thank you for the quick response. I am going to gamble that is the case. As the actual part number call out for the 2006 has been a real depressing issue.
Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies. What is your location? Your R is the same as an S or a T. The only time the year -MAY- cause a problem is of you are fitting some things from 02-03 models. With basic parts getting scarce since these bikes haven't been made since -08-09, a possible option is to buy a used bike for parts. You might also try Cheap Cycle Parts in sou. Indiana. I had a time sourcing a new front fender for my '03 C until I found them. GL

· Registered
18,785 Posts
The 1300 and 1800 rears are interchangeable, but maybe 1 tooth different which changes the final drive ratio. A 1300 final in an 1800 changes your top end by maybe 200 RPM. I'm in a bit of a brain fog this morning, but you could search the topic. 'Final drive swap' would be a good key word search. One way gives a little extra jump off the line, and one way gives you a little better mpg for cruising highway speed. For those looking for the 'jump', I've said it before and I'll say it again, you have the wrong bike. The VTX is a cruising bike, not a red light bandit. The VTX is a torque monster not intended for Hyabusa speeds. The frame, tank, seat, and fenders of most VTX models are unique, the close fits being the difference. The N is not a satisfying fit for the RST models.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts