Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yawl,

I apologize if my following issue has been already discussed but here it goes again. I bought a 2005 vtx 1300r a month ago (7000 miles). Every time i try to start (i live in south florida and garage kept) it turns off, regarless if I started every day or if i ride to a destination and try to started 3 hours later. The only way to keep engine going is too pulled the choke (which i hate doing) for 3 min. But when I do that, I see a black smoke coming out of the pipe and an awful smell. Once I pull in the choke and begin riding bike warms enough and it rides fine.
But starting the engine is an issue, which its stressing me. Anyone has any idea if is just an adjustment or should i take it to a shop. I hate to pay a great deal for something i could do myself.

thank you

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Pull the plugs, Ill almost guarantee you they're fouled. Replace with Champion RA8HC plugs from a local auto joint. (dont forget the anti-sieze).

I will bet you that will take care of your starting problem.

-Gonz

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for quick responce. What is the anti-sieze?
Replacing the plugs, is it as easy as just pulling them out. do i need to adjust the bike after i replaced the plugs?

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
What is the anti-sieze?
Any time you put plugs into an aluminum head (in this case, yes, your engine's head is aluminum) you want to put on whats called "Anti-Sieze" It comes in small packets. Dont need a ton of it, and dont get any on the electrode.. but definetly use it.

Replacing the plugs, is it as easy as just pulling them out. do i need to adjust the bike after i replaced the plugs?
Just like a car. All you got to do is make sure they're gapped correctly. The correct gap for our bike - .031"-.035" I went .033"

No adjusting the bike at all, just replace the plugs.

When you pull them out, and look at them... you will know they're fouled if they are Black. Thats from using the choke. Once you replace the plugs, see if you can stop using the choke.

-Gonz

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,396 Posts
your other issue is that the idle may be too low.......look under the air box, right side of the bike......after you change your plugs........if this still happens....there is a black knob......with the bike on......adjust it to sound and idle.......inother words...you want to be able to put the bike in neutral and walk away from the bike with it still idling without touching the choke.......slowly turn it so the idle is higher and that may be the fix! sometimes a dealer will turn it down...must be a spec they have....it's very annoying, but turning it up is the fix!!

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
your other issue is that the idle may be too low.......look under the air box, right side of the bike......after you change your plugs........if this still happens....there is a black knob......with the bike on......adjust it to sound and idle.......inother words...you want to be able to put the bike in neutral and walk away from the bike with it still idling without touching the choke.......slowly turn it so the idle is higher and that may be the fix! sometimes a dealer will turn it down...must be a spec they have....it's very annoying, but turning it up is the fix!!

Good call, my friend! I hadn't thought of that possibility.

This is what the idle speed should sound like on a VTX1300:

http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/af122/Gonzo1970_bucket/Tuning/?action=view&current=tune002.mp4

It is 900rpm +/- 100rpm.

There are two black knobs under there as well. One is a cap for a drain tube for the air box. The other is the idle adjustment.

After replacing your plugs, listen to the video above, and get a feel for the "Cadence" of the idle.. Just get it close and you should be good.

-Gonz

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,396 Posts
Good call, my friend! I hadn't thought of that possibility.

This is what the idle speed should sound like on a VTX1300:

http://s1000.photobucket.com/albums/af122/Gonzo1970_bucket/Tuning/?action=view&current=tune002.mp4

It is 900rpm +/- 100rpm.

There are two black knobs under there as well. One is a cap for a drain tube for the air box. The other is the idle adjustment.

After replacing your plugs, listen to the video above, and get a feel for the "Cadence" of the idle.. Just get it close and you should be good.

-Gonz

I got your back, bro!!

How many spark plugs do i need? sorry for the ignorance..lol
you'll need four.....what you do is gently pull the boot off the plug and unscrew them, one at a time........it's very easy.....remember...never force.....when you put them back in...start them by hand...then use the same wrench to tighten them......

several years ago, I had my bike in the dealer's shop for some service......picked it up and everytime I stopped...light, stop sign, it would shut down........a friend on a Honda Shadow pointed out the idle knob to me.......now I can adjust it on the fly.....you actually want it a bit higher than you think it should be...it will ride better and still wont vibrate like some of your friends' bikes!!!! good luck...let us know how you did!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you so much guys....I will definitely give it a world today and get back to yawl with results!!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, i got good news and very bad news, regarding my project. I raplaced 4 plugs but on the last plug, i noticed the threat of the old one was already strip and it looked like they forced it in (previous owner). I was able to screw in the new plug but only 1/2 way cause I'm afraid to break the plug in or the cylinder (I'm not sure if I should ride this way). Now the bike starts without min choke usage but is poping too much when down shifting or when I'm riding on 2nd. It also smells like fuel & I am not sure if is iddle to reach or is a carbutator issue. Maybe I need to take it to a shop. Does anyone knows a good and inexpensive shop in Florida broward county?

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
Well, it sounds like you were on the right path.

Decel Popping can be caused by a few things. Lean A/F Mix, Leak in the exhaust system.. But its not something that should make the bike run Bad. It should run fine, but it just pops on decel. That we can tackle, but the point is getting it running right first. Although I do Not know if the stripped threads on the spark plug will contribute to that.

But either way, stripped spark plug threads is not good. I am unsure how to tell you to proceed with that.

-Gonz

·
Super Moderator
9,936 Posts
If I understand correctly, one of your spark plugs is only screwed in about half-way. Is it possible that the gas smell is fuel leaking out around the loose threads where the sparkplug is only half-way in? Could decel popping or backfiring be occurring due to air leaking in through this loose thread? I don't really know how loose "half-way" is.

Can you get a thread chaser (not a tap and die) of the correct size and try to clean up the threads in the head? A thread chaser should just reshape the threads and not cut any metal which would fall into the cylinder which would probably be a bad thing.

You should also search this site for the Pair and Scar mods as these help with starting without using the choke and with reducing decel popping/backfiring.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Super Moderator
9,936 Posts
does anybody knows if thread chaser size for the spark plugs is 12mm?
I am not sure of the thread size. However, I have two pieces of advice. First, take the sparkplug to a Lowes or Home Depot. Find the nut that fits on it. That will define the diameter and the thread pitch (coarse, medium, fine, 1 mm, 1.5 mm, etc.). Second, don't be surprised if the sparkplug and hole are the only non-metric thing on the bike. I think it is possible they are American size threads. Sorry I can't be of more help.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
If you are not very mechanically inclined either go to a bike shop with this ride or invite a good mech over...

You can re-tap the threading, which 'needs' to be done either by you or someone else... you can't leave it like this.

This is a short explanation, there are far further in depth:
http://www.automedia.com/Spark_Plug_Hole_Thread_Repair/ccr20020401st/1

That being said... do NOT run your engine with a spark plug halfway down, this is dangerous to you and the engine.

Mort

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
When you pull the plug out, it may clean the threads up, you want to unscrew a little, 1/4 to 1/2 turn, then back in about the same, the out a little more then in then out a little more and so on. It may clean them up. One way or the other it has to come out. If you do this, it may clean the up.
You will feel it go a little father each time, take your time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I believe I would very carefully retap the threads. I've never done it but it seems like you could just get the right size and take your time with it............The unscrewing and working the sparkplug in and out slowly might work to but I would probably use two different plugs working them both in and out a little at a time.....Hope you get it worked out!

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
as an ex honda mechanic, i would advise you to have a shop install what is known as a helicoil. That is the best way to fix a engine head with a badly stripped spark plug opening. This helicoil is an insert which can be installed without taking the engine apart. ask a few different shops what they would charge to put in a helicoil and go with the shop you feel most comfortable with, as well as of course, $$$$$ Good luck! Bry

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hello everyone, my 2006 1300R is idling rough and stalling out on me when in 1st and 2nd gear, today was the first time doing so, I guess the first step in troubleshooting it would be to check the spark plugs, are all year models the same in regards to spark plugs?? will a park plug for a 2005 model fit a hole for a 2006??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts