Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Kansas. I had a VTX 1300R several years ago and sold it but I'm in the market for another one. One of the many reasons I want to get back into riding and expecially getting another VTX is because I want to go moto camping with it. I thought about getting an Adventure bike but I really love the VTX.
Does anyone moto camp on their VTX and do you have any issues as far as carrying gear and being able to get down the dirt roads (I'm not talking about riding down the mountain side on a bike trail where it would take a dirt bike). I'm thinking of gravel roads in decent conditions.
Any insight or advice would be appreciated. Maybe its not possible but I still want to get a VTX.
Thanks!
Joe

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,767 Posts
Plenty have trailers to camp. Not sure about that on gravel but I know driveways are fine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The VTX is quite heavy to be riding on gravel. As long as its not too deep, you would most likely be just fine! It would definitely make a great bike for putting down the miles though! Also, storage on a VTX is fantastic, just need a nice rack and saddlebags.

Good luck in your search! Hope you can be a proud VTX owner!

A picture of my 2009 1300C fully loaded!

·
Super Moderator
10,469 Posts
While you can certainly tour on a VTX1300, it is important to remember that, at its core, it is a cruiser type bike not a tourer. My wife and I have toured a long way on cruisers - her on a VTX1300S and me on an HD Softail.

A true touring bike often has various attributes that a VTX 1300 does not have including better wind management, more storage space, lockable storage space, better (often adjustable) suspension for riding comfort, longer wheelbase for smoother riding, a 6th gear for smoother riding at highway speeds, comfortable seats and seating position, fairing and lowers (both for wind and rain management), usually a trunk, and creature comforts like heated grips and seats. Many but not all of the above can be added to a VTX1300 but it costs a fair amount of time and money to do so.

Even if you do add all of the above possible to a VTX, it will still be a cruiser at its heart. It will work okay for long-distance touring but if that is your main biking goal, you should consider getting a true touring bike.

On the other hand, if your goal is to have a bike that is low cost, a great cruiser, and an occasional tourer, than the VTX1300 is a great choice.

We have done touring with cruisers (the above mentioned VTX1300S and an HD Softail) and with true touring bikes (Victory Cross Country Tour bikes) and the touring bikes are, not surprisingly, better for long-distance touring.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello from Kansas. I had a VTX 1300R several years ago and sold it but I'm in the market for another one. One of the many reasons I want to get back into riding and expecially getting another VTX is because I want to go moto camping with it. I thought about getting an Adventure bike but I really love the VTX.
Does anyone moto camp on their VTX and do you have any issues as far as carrying gear and being able to get down the dirt roads (I'm not talking about riding down the mountain side on a bike trail where it would take a dirt bike). I'm thinking of gravel roads in decent conditions.
Any insight or advice would be appreciated. Maybe its not possible but I still want to get a VTX.
Thanks!
Joe
I have done some camping on my VTX, it's just a matter of your equipment. I have a padded sissy bar and luggage rack. With these items I strap on my "Tour Master" https://www.tourmaster.com/sissy_bar_bags - full size bag, tent and sleeping bag (I have a thin blow-up ground mat), will get strapped to the passenger seat. In the saddle bags and luggage rack you can take everything else you need.
You can easily handle the weight and maneuver through most any roads.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you are talking about campgrounds you'll be good. I think the forward controls do not make it a good choice if you are going to trail ride. It is a great cruiser but something that you can stand up on the pegs would be better suited.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you are talking about campgrounds you'll be good. I think the forward controls do not make it a good choice if you are going to trail ride. It is a great cruiser but something that you can stand up on the pegs would be better suited.
I agree the VTX is not an adventure style bike - Camp grounds are always a better choice for motorcycle camping - source of water, fire pit of some sort, electric hookup, state parks have bathrooms.

·
Registered
2004 1300S, converted to 1300T
15 Posts
I have done lots of camping on my VTX. I try to find campgrounds as I like to have a place to sit down. My backpacking equipment seconds as motorcycle camping equipment. It is best to plan ahead on where you are going to camp. You don't want to put in a long day on the bike and then starting searching for a campground when the sun is going down.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have done lots of camping on my VTX. I try to find campgrounds as I like to have a place to sit down. My backpacking equipment seconds as motorcycle camping equipment. It is best to plan ahead on where you are going to camp. You don't want to put in a long day on the bike and then starting searching for a campground when the sun is going down.

View attachment 240810
Absolutely love these photos, they're awesome! Looks like a really good time!

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,218 Posts
I've only motorcycle camped in motel rooms so I'm no help with that. I've ridden some dirt roads on the 1300 and it is a nerve racking experience to me. Like riding on marbles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've only motorcycle camped in motel rooms so I'm no help with that. I've ridden some dirt roads on the 1300 and it is a nerve racking experience to me. Like riding on marbles.
I hear ya, anymore my idea of roughing it is a motel 6.

Up here in N.E. Ohio, we have a "Covered bridge" tour. It's about 12-14 covered bridges, up in one of the rural parts of our State, it's really scenic. Some of them are on gravel roads, and like you said "like riding on marbles".

·
Registered
15 Posts
I did not camp the the previous night nor was I planning on camping at the end of this day. Because of road construction we had to so about 4-5 miles of this muddy/gravel road. Gravel is like driving on ice, don't abrupt acceleration, breaking , or turning. And a few more camping picture.

Attachments

·
Mosin Prime
2019 Indian Roadmaster P3 Tail Light w/Photon Blasters Alert Diode DynamicsLEDs Adaptive2 Headlight
815 Posts
I wish I had some pics of mine loaded up for my trip I had to Georgia. This very backpack was strapped on to the passenger seat and a slightly smaller one on the luggage rack with my boots and other stuff tied on to them. It was loaded down and a long trip. These pics are from a trip up through BC and Alberta Canada in 2013 when I was still back in WA. When it still had the white walls before I powder coated the rims black. And the old Baron's Ultimate light bar that was not the greatest. Oh the memories! I wish I could do that trip again on my Roadmaster, now!

·
Registered
15 Posts
In 2013 my brother and I rode to Alaska. Ran into two fellas from I think Pennsylvania in Watson Lake Yukon. First time I say 3 VTX's together. VTX1800, VTX1300C and VTX1300S and a Harley.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks!
Joe
My
Thanks!
Joe
My biggest reservation with the vtx would be dirt and gravel. I ve done dry unpaved county roads with my little road bike. It works pretty well with the right tires and could be great with dual sport tires if you go slow. I would only take my vtx a short way on dirt road, maybe to access a camp ground. I have the short travel stock suspension, which works great on the road and complements my very short legs. Any distance on dirt would be much too slow for me. Also tough on the bike and my body. Assume you'll be replacing headstock bearings at a minimum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts