Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stock VTX 1300S. Engine noise after blipping the throttle that almost sounds like a hollow drum. If you listen carefully and the volume is loud enough you can hear it after the throttle blip. Any idea what it is?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have only heard that sound when it is fatal. That to me is a rod hammer. My recommendation is to pull the oil filter and cut it open. You may get by with a oil change but I would definitely make sure you don't smell fuel in the oil. If so that would explain why the noise started. But as I said, remove oil filter and cut it open. Open the folds, what you are looking for is shiny or blackened metal parts. If you find them you will know what to do next.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, took it to the dealer to have the new Michelin commander II’s mounted with beads, also had them flush the coolant (nothing in the reservoir) and change both wheel bearings.

Then the pair mod parts, fp3 and glens permanent af screw came in. I got all of that in and decapped the filter.

I noticed that the large rubber boot on the left side of the carb was loose on both sides and immediately knew it was the noise that I heard that started this conversation. Turns out I was correct.

Curious if you hear anything now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ok, took it to the dealer to have the new Michelin commander II’s mounted with beads, also had them flush the coolant (nothing in the reservoir) and change both wheel bearings.

Then the pair mod parts, fp3 and glens permanent af screw came in. I got all of that in and decapped the filter.

I noticed that the large rubber boot on the left side of the carb was loose on both sides and immediately knew it was the noise that I heard that started this conversation. Turns out I was correct.

Curious if you hear anything now.
Sounds way better. I am glad it was that simple for you to fix. These are nice bikes and are worth keeping road worthy.
Now all you have to do is enjoy your X.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts