Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #22
This X has been sitting for at least 3 years. What should I do to PREPARE it before I attempt to crank it?
Drain the tank. Inspect for rust. If any it will need cleaned and possibly sealed. What year? the early years had the fuel pump and filter inside the tank. These too will likely need replaced. When you do fill the tank, only use 87 octane fuel. Add a can of Seafoam to the tank, and a can for the first couple tanks thereafter, and then half can every 4-5 tanks and for future storage like over winter. It's a shame when these bikes aren't loved enough to treat them right. Have the battery fully charged, and taken out to an auto parts dealer that will do a 100 amp load test. NOT the 20amp motorcycle load test! The battery can show 12+ volts and still have a weak cell or 2 and give problems. Cranking with a weak battery can lead to other issues, like welding the starter solenoid or switch contacts. Those are another maintenance item to consider after you get it running. Where have you been for 10 years? Welcome back.
Has it been 10: years? Time flies when life gets in your way. I pulled the tank and drained it this morning. I pulled the plugs, sprayed Marvel Mystery Oil in all the cylinders And let it sit for two hours while I changed the oil, filter and added about 3 ounces of seafoam to the oil. Replaced the Battery with one I purchased six months ago and put a heavy duty charger on it. Last thing I did today was turn the engine over without plug wires and gas 4 or five times. Sounded smooth and definitely heard the compression stroke... gave me a woody馃槒. I will examine the tank and filter tomorrow morn... if all is good I will reassemble and reattach the tank, fill with Premium Gas and seafoam. Hopefully I will have fore I the hole by 10:30 AM.
Im assuming this is for the 1300...
Well depending on how much you want to. If it was me, I would dobthe following:

1) get battery tested as suggested...and then get a battery tender so you never have to worry about it again.
2) change oil and filter
3) drain the tank as suggested
4) I would open the peacock valve and clean it out
5) remove carb and clean it out. There are instructions here to do that. Everything I did this after several years of sitting, I certainly felt the difference. I think its worth the time and effort. I have video that I did that you can follow if you want. Here is the link.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Thank you for the reply. I get tunnel vision when I talk about my X. I forget that they are not all 1800鈥檚. My X is a 2003 VTX 1800 C. I do appreciate the time and effort you took.

Super Moderator
Matter fact that gives me a good idea for a post, what do you think is this ok ? " Going on a cross country trip , who's willing to allow me to stop off and say hello ?
Sure. That is fine. You may want to be more clear if what you are really asking is who will let me bunk at their house overnight.

Registered
see post below...wasn't able to quote earlier

Registered
Matter fact that gives me a good idea for a post, what do you think is this ok ? " Going on a cross country trip , who's willing to allow me to stop off and say hello ?
not a bad idea...hit me up if you are in Sacramento, CA

Reactions: JohnPaul2007VTX1300

Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
Sure. That is fine. You may want to be more clear if what you are really asking is who will let me bunk at their house overnight.
What Vinish said. Happy to meet up with you passing through. I can't really give you a place to sleep though.

Registered
I鈥檓 in Louisville Ohio sort of lower Northeastern Ohio/Pennsylvania welcome to come by here. My address is on my meet-n-greet thread. I have a camper you can stay in, as nice as most houses!!

Registered
What Vinish said. Happy to meet up with you passing through. I can't really give you a place to sleep though.
Same here, in central Pa., 1/2 hr. N of Flt. 93 Memorial.

Registered
So many people wanting to meet this can be a really cool trip meeting and making allot of friends ! I want to get a good list of everyone's phone numbers and info this can really be an amazing trip !

Registered
figure a route first and then share it and people along the route can identify themselves...and you can contact them.

we use to have a map here with peoples IDs so you can get in touch with them if you were out or broke down and needed help....i wonder if that is still around?

Reactions: PaXman11

Registered
figure a route first and then share it and people along the route can identify themselves...and you can contact them.

we use to have a map here with peoples IDs so you can get in touch with them if you were out or broke down and needed help....i wonder if that is still around?
Probably disappeared when the new guys format started a few years ago.

Super Moderator
The thread and link are still there but the link does not go to an active page on the VTX Cafe which makes the thread pretty worthless :(

Reactions: PaXman11

Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
Use Google maps to create a rough plan for where you intend to go. That can be shared for others to look at it. Other map websites are similar.

If you are near some cities with people along the way can meet up for lunch etc.

Registered
You mention an approx. route and we can find you!

Registered
Brand doesn't mean much. Assuming you go to a station with top tier gas they will all have good level of additives which they all market by whatever buzz word their feel like. Go to an off brand station without the top tier then you are back to old minimum government standards which still have higher detergents in premium flavors.
"Top Tier" is and industry buzzword, about as much weight as "Most Bestest" or "More Gooder". If you want more detergent add it, SeaFoam will work. Fuel Injection or Carburetor Cleaner.

Registered
Discussion Starter #38
Final update...I guess. Put the bike on the road every afternoon this week. Bike fires right up. Runs smooth... approaching 200 miles since my initial fire up. Haven鈥檛 found any real kinks with the bike. There are a few little annoyances. Deceleration back firing.... is the worst. Bike has a gasoline odor of raw gas...but can鈥檛 find a leak.

Registered
This X has been sitting for at least 3 years. What should I do to PREPARE it before I attempt to crank it?
Replace the battery, period. Don't fiddle-fart with the old one. It's been sitting dead for way too long. Then charge the new one. Do an oil change and shoot some oil into the cylinders through the spark plug holes so they don't start dry. Even lightweight WD-40 is better than nothing . It'll at least buy you some early compression vs. dry cylinders and since the spark plugs are out, inspect them, all 4. Check the coolant levels and the other fluids like drive fluid & brake fluid. You may need carb work and maybe not but wait to see if it starts before screwing with it. If the gas tank was fairly full, it's probably not a problem but you'll need to empty and refill it with fresh fuel regardless. Don't think you can bump up the old octane with high octane. Replace the fuel. Dump it through a strainer or filter to see how bad the tank really is. No flecks is goodness. A little carb cleaner in the tank first wouldn't hurt the first time. Check the tires closely. Any cracking or excessive wear, replace them before trip #1. Once it's running, do a happy-dance and then the rest of the 30K maintenance in the manual.

I generally run 87 octane without issue. I have found I get more fuel economy from premium so, if I need to stretch a tank on a trip, I'll use it then but generally I just go with regular.

Registered
2006 VTX 1800S, 2004 VTX 1800C, 2004 NRX 1800 Rune
The ethanol in all brands, all octanes, is what is BAD for anything that runs on gasoline. The only other thing I would advocate if you can get it, is UN-ethanol'd fuel, just like the good old days. Usually found in either 90 or 93 octane. For the cleaning properties, not for performance gains, although some who have done dyno tuning or re-jetting have reported gains along those lines. Shell is one brand that sells unethanol. Someone who has access to a boat marina or airport fuel depot can get unethanol there too. Be prepared to pay .30-.50 or more per gal.
Pure gasoline? Absolutely! Measured in BTU's, there is significantly more energy in unadulterated gasoline than there is in an equal measure of ethanol. THAT is what distinguishes it in real world engine operation and performance. One of the ways this has manifested in my own experience has been more miles per tank and a reduced need to add throttle when going up an incline with the cruise set. Octane ratings are a completely separate discussion but I do agree that VTX 1300 & 1800 engines run quite well on 87 octane. Just as designed. Some have reported increased carbon build up/plug fowling from long term use of higher octane fuels. If you're going to run at highway speeds (or higher) for extended periods in desert heat on a long distance ride, then you might consider a little additive like Sea Foam etc or choosing 89 octane gas. Otherwise, 87 is fine in every way.
You can find pure gas stations on line at Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada and a few other sites as well. Also, I can say that the CENEX and Hy-Vee brand gas stations and SOME CASEY's stores here in the mid-west sell unadulterated ethanol free gasoline.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts