Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay....started a new job two weeks ago after 10 months of unemployment. The new gig is a bit far from the house....58 mile round trip.
So today on my way home...in 100+ degree temp. I've traveled about 15 miles at 70+ mph. Come to a stop sign and.... the VTX will only idle.
When I try to accelerate it just spits and sputters and backfires a little. So I ride the last 10 miles or so at idle speed in third gear.
When I get home I turned off the ignition, then turned it back on...no power at all, no instrument light, turn signals, horn...nothing.
So I mixed a drink and got in the pool, giving myself and the bike time to cool off.
Then I checked the battery terminals, not very tight at all. I put the volt meter across the battery.....reads 4.5 volts. (This is a 2006 VTX 1300C) with the original battery. I'm thinking bad battery.....what you do think? :confused:

?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Charge the battery up full and then start the bike and see if the charging system is functioning correctly. If the chaging system is working properly then it is most likely the battery.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
If you found the connectors loose and you had no previous symptoms the the vibration and loose connectors might only be your problem. Put a good charge on it. And while you have the seat off look closely at the wires going into the ECM on top of the battery for a broken wire where the black and green wires go into the plug. Just look at the and see if they looked kinked or taunt.
Click on image to enlarge.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
i've never gotten 5 years out of a battery....

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Still have my original battery on my '06, bought in Sept '07. Keep the tender plugged in if not riding for more than 2 days, battery meter shows fully charged when ever it's on/running.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
Still have my original battery on my '06, bought in Sept '07. Keep the tender plugged in if not riding for more than 2 days, battery meter shows fully charged when ever it's on/running.
lol...yeah, i know they can last longer, i've just never had one last 5 years for me....i usually average about 3, but i don't charge mine all the time either, as i have the 4wheeler batteries doing that...

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
lol...yeah, i know they can last longer, i've just never had one last 5 years for me....i usually average about 3, but i don't charge mine all the time either, as i have the 4wheeler batteries doing that...
To be honest, didn't start using my tender until last year, just wanted to get through the winter, it seems to have lengthened the life of it. I do keep a close eye on the battery meter though, when it shows signs of not charging properly, that's when I'll change it out.

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
.....:cheers:

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
i'd probably have some sort of attack if i could get one to last over 3 years...lol
me and batteries just don't get along for some reason ;)

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
I'm with you, it seems before, any vehicle I got, the battery was dead within 6mos, get in the wife's jeep, dead battery:eek:, son's car, dead battery:confused:, Hell, even my own truck, dead battery:mad:, but for some reason, the "X" never lets me down:D.....Hope I didn't just jinx myself:banghead:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
IT WAS THE BATTERY!!!
It's up and running well again. Fathers day tomorrow..Cobra Fatty's (I peeked) going on the X.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts