Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
calling all techs....calling all techs....

Warm hello from a burning Los Angeles, CA! Having a problem and hoping the vtx brainiacs could point me in the right direction. I'm currently having a hard time starting the beast up in the morning. Feathering the throttle she'll start up and stay on for a couple of minutes, then dies. Here's where the fun begins. She will give me hell trying to start her up again. After 20 minutes or so of trying i give up. leave her alone for another 20 and when i come back. she fires up like a champ; and i ride all day with multiple shutoffs and start-ups. Battery is new, tight with socket, plugs are new, and bike is stock except for the chop shop exhaust.

Advice? fuel delivery? air mixture? idle speed? :banghead:

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Are you using the choke to start the bike?

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Have you done any work to the bike? Also, make sure the choke is OFF, all the way in. Sometimes the choke cable can bind and not let it shut off. Now the choke is not a actual butterfly so you can't see it by looking inside the carb. Also, check ALL your fuel lines on the petcock and the one under the right rear of the tank to make sure they are all in place.

Have you had the bike very long? Has it always done this or is this something new? Have you messed with the AF screw at all? We need more info.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have you done any work to the bike? Also, make sure the choke is OFF, all the way in. Sometimes the choke cable can bind and not let it shut off. Now the choke is not a actual butterfly so you can't see it by looking inside the carb. Also, check ALL your fuel lines on the petcock and the one under the right rear of the tank to make sure they are all in place.

Have you had the bike very long? Has it always done this or is this something new? Have you messed with the AF screw at all? We need more info.
No mods to bike other than clayton mod gone horror on exhaust. Single owner bike. Sympton is new. No messing with AF. First time it died went out and got a new plugs and new battery, old one was over 2 years old.....bike ran for a week no problems and now it dies again; mind you only the morning. @ work now, when quitting time comes around, she'll start right up and i'll enjoy the 90F ride home.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Mine seems to be a bit cold blooded too in the AM. I choke it to start then run it for about 60 seconds at full choke, then take the choke off. At that point the engine dies, then I restart it (no choke) and I can get an idol. It does that in 35 degree weather, and 75 degree as well.
If someone has a good solution to this let me know!

(you can also adjust the idol speed too, I bump mine up during the winter months)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From what im gathering from searching previous posts, A/F might need a 1/4 or 1/2 turn to rich up the mixture? and a tad up in idle also?

If so, im perplexed because its ran fine since out of the dealership 2 years ago. how is it that now it needs to be richer in the mix?

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
If so, im perplexed because its ran fine since out of the dealership 2 years ago.
Maybe they warmed it up that morning (I'm completely kidding).

Have you not been riding it often over the last two years?

M

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Does it die while under power or when you let off the throttle? How is the idle when cold and then after it warms up? does the idle chnage?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does it die while under power or when you let off the throttle? How is the idle when cold and then after it warms up? does the idle chnage?
seems to die when letting of throttle. i remember yesterday it died as i was coming to a stop 1 block away from my house. as far as the idle, it does go up once the bike is warm.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Check your idle speed. Most people turn their idle way below spec to try to get that Harley lope. If it is actually idling where it is supposed to it will sound a little fast.

·
AIRBORNE
5,567 Posts
Yes do turn up the idle! It is suppossed to be at 900 rpms, which is pretty fast. It does sound faster then most bikes!:hmm2:

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
The bike is a little lean. Open the AF up 1/8 to 1/4 turn. You can also raise the idle when cold and that should do it. When lean, the bike runs out of gas on let off and the idle changes as it warms up. I tune my bike pretty close so it it dies before it warms up to much I just raise the idle speed a little with the knob under the airbox. As it warms up I turn it back down a little. All is good.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The bike is a little lean. Open the AF up 1/8 to 1/4 turn. You can also raise the idle when cold and that should do it. When lean, the bike runs out of gas on let off and the idle changes as it warms up. I tune my bike pretty close so it it dies before it warms up to much I just raise the idle speed a little with the knob under the airbox. As it warms up I turn it back down a little. All is good.
thanks for the tips. will adjust and report back.:mosh:

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm in nearby Lakewood. I pull the choke out enough to give it a fast idle,
let it run while I put on my gloves and helmet, after I take off and
get to the end of my very short street, I push the choke knob back in.
I do get some hesitation if I have to stop and go, but by the time
I get to the 91, about 1 mile away, it's running fine and I can get WOT
up the on ramp like the ill-famed bat.

Maybe your plugs are fouled?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts