Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Are you using the choke to start the bike?

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Have you done any work to the bike? Also, make sure the choke is OFF, all the way in. Sometimes the choke cable can bind and not let it shut off. Now the choke is not a actual butterfly so you can't see it by looking inside the carb. Also, check ALL your fuel lines on the petcock and the one under the right rear of the tank to make sure they are all in place.

Have you had the bike very long? Has it always done this or is this something new? Have you messed with the AF screw at all? We need more info.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Does it die while under power or when you let off the throttle? How is the idle when cold and then after it warms up? does the idle chnage?

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
The bike is a little lean. Open the AF up 1/8 to 1/4 turn. You can also raise the idle when cold and that should do it. When lean, the bike runs out of gas on let off and the idle changes as it warms up. I tune my bike pretty close so it it dies before it warms up to much I just raise the idle speed a little with the knob under the airbox. As it warms up I turn it back down a little. All is good.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
Just a note. A properly tuned VTX1300 does not need the choke. Since it is not a conventional choke, it is actually dumping in MORE fuel instead of changing the air/fuel mixture like a butterfly style choke. When tuned, all that is required on cold startup is a couple twists of the throttle and the pushing the start buton. Then for about 30-45 seconds to a minute you will need to hold the throttle until it will idle. If need be you can turn the idle up with the knob under the airbox to maintain an idle but turn it back down to ride. I hold hte throttle about 30 secs or so and then all is good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts